Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 12:45 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
My favorite style is one-story home with clean lines and simple trim.

"One-story home" isn't a "style".

So, is that a "ranch" or a "MCM"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 01:31 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
My favorite kind of art and architecture is associated with the Viennese Secessionist movement.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:23 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
My favorite kind of art and architecture is associated with the Viennese Secessionist movement.
What does Viennese Secessionist architecture look like?

Old 08-25-2022, 09:02 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"One-story home" isn't a "style".

So, is that a "ranch" or a "MCM"?
Yes. Maybe. Dunno.
The style part is being one story with simple lines with a garage, a LARGE garage.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:10 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Secession

It was a contemporary of art nouveau. Insofar as Vienna was the "Paris of the East" there are some similarities as both were reactions to beaux arts and utilized new materials and techniques. I prefer it to art nouveau because I generally prefer the more rectilinear lines and starker contrasts of German styles compared to the more curvilinear lines and softer contrasts of French styles. The Edwardian period is my favorite time in history and I also like art nouveau, but prefer Secessionist.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Yes. Maybe. Dunno.
The style part is being one story with simple lines with a garage, a LARGE garage.
That's "configuration" or "house type."

What K'ledgeBldr was pointing out to you is that the "style" has to do with the way a building looks.

All of the houses below are one-story houses, for instance. This one is a midcentury modern house designed by California architect Richard Neutra, who also designed a bunch of houses in Philadelphia:

Neutra house by Dale Cruse, on Flickr, licensed under CC-BY 2.0

This traditional ranch house somewhere in the Midwest is decked out for the holidays:

Holidays at the ranch by Ron Frazier, on Flickr, licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

And this is a not atypical midcentury contemporary ranch house:

Fab Mid-Century Ranch House, Freeman Street, Oceanside CA by Joe Wolf, on Flickr, licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

This one's a Southwestern-style rancher:

Joesler Heaven Tucson 1953 a3 PHOTO CREDIT - MLS by RegulusAlpha, on Flickr, licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Here's a rendering of a kit-built house in the "contemporary" style:

Garlinghouse by Ethan, on Flickr, licensed under CC-BY 2.0

And this is "Glass House," the home High Modernist architect Philip Johnson designed for himself in 1949 in New Caanan, Conn. It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it's now open to the public, as Johnson died in 2005:

Glass House by Staib via Wikimedia Commons, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

See how widely these houses vary in their appearance? Yet they're all one-story houses. "Style" describes their appearance. "One-story" is a house type — as is a "ranch house," by the way; three of the houses pictured here fall into the "ranch house" category.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Secession

It was a contemporary of art nouveau. Insofar as Vienna was the "Paris of the East" there are some similarities as both were reactions to beaux arts and utilized new materials and techniques. I prefer it to art nouveau because I generally prefer the more rectilinear lines and starker contrasts of German styles compared to the more curvilinear lines and softer contrasts of French styles. The Edwardian period is my favorite time in history and I also like art nouveau, but prefer Secessionist.
I see echoes of Secessionist style in some of Frank Lloyd Wright's early works; it appears that his "Prairie Style" and it are distant cousins, though most architectural historians trace his roots to Chicago architect Louis Sullivan, under whom Wright apprenticed, and Wright himself was fond of the muscular Victorian style of Philadelphia architect Frank Furness — a visit he made to Penn's Graduate School of Fine Arts* in the late 1950s did much to rescue Furness' reputation and a number of his less-well-known buildings from the dustbin of history most Philadelphia architects of the time had tossed both in.

*Now known as the Weitzman School of Design, Penn's Graduate School of Fine Arts was one of the most prominent redoubts of beaux-arts style in the first half of the 20th century, when Beaux-Arts-trained architect Paul Philippe Cret headed it. In fact, while I was working on the Penn Current there, I teased a photo from an exhibit of GSFA work from Penn's Architectural Archives with the cutline "The American École des Beaux-Arts".

Old 08-26-2022, 11:13 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

“It” looks like any other of many “recognized” styles-

The difference is- those “artists” were blacksheep renegades. They marched to their own beat- not the recognized and accepted beat.

Old 08-28-2022, 03:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
What is your favorite architectural style?

And why?
I like a lot of local historical house styles, my faves are probably - these have organic / romantic shapes and details:
- Shingle
- Arts and Crafts Bungalow

Then - these are sparing, but you really feel the history of these styles dating back 300 years:
- Saltbox
- Cape Cod

And finally I also like - these can be a little grand for my taste, but are undeniably beautiful:
- Greek Revival (simpler vernacular versions)
- Queen Anne Victorian
- Romanesque (in civic buildings and churches and the rare mansion)

Old 08-28-2022, 06:41 PM

783 posts, read 694,578 times
This is a really great and hard question. Here are favorites from the top of my head

Art Deco
Roman
Craftsman - Queen Anne Victorian

I prefer small houses in craftsman style. Skyscrapers to be Art Deco. I would use Roman civic buildings.

Modern styles are more hit and miss in my book. The modern international style is straight up bland in my book; bland! However I love the look of postmodern architecture when it comes to things like concert halls. I live in LA so I'm a huge fan of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Concert Halls in general are a place where modern architecture really is great. I would like to see a postmodern neighborhood but I never see one. I see one nice building here and there, but I would like to see Frank Gehry or my favorite Zaha Hadid (her firm) do a neighborhood. I'll tentatively say postmodern deconstructivist as one style that I do like; particularly for these glass buildings because I think glass boxes are boring. I would like to see normal buildings like clothing stores made in this style. Postmodern deconstructivism really does work for concrete, glass and steel which is how we make the world today. So for final count

Art Deco
Roman
Queen Anne Victorian
Deconstructivist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum