Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 01:31 PM

294 posts, read 544,059 times

Advertisements

You could go trendy and paint the siding black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 8,118 times
Any other people's thoughts on the fake lower beams?

Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 8,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I see no reason to add another element to the house (stone)- will just make it more "busy" than it already is!

I think the painters are just lazy and don't want to put the effort in to properly preparing, priming, and painting the cladding (correct materials, paint, primer). You did say "metal", so I'll assume it's aluminum.

Is this house really in BH, Cali? I know there's some eclectic stuff there, but...wow!
No - would not let me put in a Canadian postal code when I created account... lol. 90210 is the only one I know. Fixed it.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:22 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
You could go trendy and paint the siding black.
NOOOOOO!

Don't paint it all white and black, either!

Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
What do you mean, needs more curb appeal? I think it's a very nice looking house.

Need to powerwash and restain the cedar siding. Need to pick a different color for the trim. Maybe a medium brown.

Don't for the love of Pete paint all the siding white and the trim black. Please, at least have enough individuality not to do that!

I agree, though, expanding the house at the expense of being able to use the garage was a blockhead move. Maybe just maybe there's alley access? Otherwise it's a workshop or ADU - but you may not even be able to get to it without going through the house?

Old 01-29-2022, 04:10 PM

185 posts, read 135,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why cover or alter the cedar, it’s a great surface for a house but getting a finish that will last for 5 or 6 years can be a challenge if not done properly.

I would have it power washed and treated with a wood prep/cleaner and then have it prepared and sealed with a semi-solid exterior wood stain by a good painting contractor. Cedar is a great siding material, however it needs to be properly maintained.

Architecturally, it’s a contemporary style house and vertical board siding is a perfect choice in completing the character of the house and design, IMO!

Yes - everything Rickcin said.

I love the modern look of your new home. I wouldn't remove/cut/add anything to the exterior. It just needs some TLC to look fabulous again. The cedar siding, if not termite-infested, after proper finishing and maintaining, should last another hundred years.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:31 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-COOP View Post
No - would not let me put in a Canadian postal code when I created account... lol. 90210 is the only one I know. Fixed it.

Well- that makes more since!

Old 07-18-2022, 03:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
That's a cool house. I'd just clean the wood and get rid of as much green as possible. I like all of the open beams but I'd stain them charcoal or dark brown. Maybe try painting that tiny window frame and see if you can get it to work before doing all of them.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:45 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
What ever beams are not structural, I'd remove, there are too many of them.
Paint the remaining beams a darker green

I don't like the big tree to the left of the house, that has to go, actually, a whole new landscape would work wonders.
I'd also stain the wood a very dark brown, maybe that would tone down the green of the green windows. I like the green, but like another poster stated, it is the wrong green, that I do agree with.
But, it is a nice house.
Also, get rid of the concrete and use pavers they are nicer looking.

Its always fin to spend someone else's money though, of course all the suggestions are only what the budget will allow.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
This post is kinda old, but I'll put my 2cents in there. I would just power wash and stain the cedar. the green will soften with the cedar stained. I would get rid of the 2 tall trees against the house. They may already be causing damage. Lower the bushes in front near the walkway. Then reevaluate what you like after looking at it for another 6 to 12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum