Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:59 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

A new apartment building is being proposed in New Haven, Connecticut. New Haven is home to Yale University which has a very prestigious School of Architecture. This has given the city a lot of great architecture which is a bit ahead of its time.

To me this building seems to have tones of Brutalistic Architecture from the 70’s. Is that coming back? I can’t say those buildings aged well. Do you think the s.tyle is coming back like 50’s/60’s architecture seems to have been? Jay

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/i...iseum_meeting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 03:16 PM

506 posts, read 476,256 times
God, I hope not.

Maybe that building in New Haven is in a Historic District or came under some kind of design review. The Brutalist-like design might have been the resulting compromise to better fit within and compliment the surrounding area?

It probably makes sense that the style will come back eventually, though. Now that we're in more lean times, concrete construction is probably cheaper than the more colorful and varied facades that have been popular over the last decade. Hopefully people have learned from Brutalism's mistakes and can improve upon the style.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:50 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
God, I hope not.

Maybe that building in New Haven is in a Historic District or came under some kind of design review. The Brutalist-like design might have been the resulting compromise to better fit within and compliment the surrounding area?

It probably makes sense that the style will come back eventually, though. Now that we're in more lean times, concrete construction is probably cheaper than the more colorful and varied facades that have been popular over the last decade. Hopefully people have learned from Brutalism's mistakes and can improve upon the style.
Nope. This is the first building on the site of the demolished New Haven Colosseum, a shining example of Brutalism itself. I don’t think anyone misses it hunkering over Orange Street. Jay

Old 09-30-2020, 09:51 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
The rising price of construction-grade sand limits concrete and glass construction.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:44 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I’m not really seeing Brutalist architecture here. Reminds me more of a very low rise, International Style, Seagrams Building (and many skyscrapers in Chicago) simple, box-like, softened up with stucco/masonry finished mullions instead of steel and inset balconies.

Brutalist buildings usually entail exaggerated structural/articulated elements of the building thrusting outward or aggressively corbeled vertically, like Godzilla would get cut and bashed up brushing and swinging wildly against buildings like these.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:57 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A new apartment building is being proposed in New Haven, Connecticut. New Haven is home to Yale University which has a very prestigious School of Architecture. This has given the city a lot of great architecture which is a bit ahead of its time.

To me this building seems to have tones of Brutalistic Architecture from the 70’s. Is that coming back? I can’t say those buildings aged well. Do you think the s.tyle is coming back like 50’s/60’s architecture seems to have been? Jay

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/i...iseum_meeting/

I agree that it may be coming back. It has in visual art and in furniture so why not in architecture. I went to college in Worcester, MA. Clark University. The Goddard Library was and is, a prime example of Brutalist Architecture. Most of us back in the late 70s preferred the building then called "Old Library" over our actual library.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Yeah, the ONLY people who like these horrible grey concrete monstrosities are academic architects. Everyone else recognizes them for what they are: butt ugly. Usually made worse by being plopped down in a barren empty wind swept plaza.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:48 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I'm headed back to Germany in a couple of weeks. I have an apartment leased in Chemnitz, a city in eastern Germany about 1 hour from either Leipzig or Dresden. Chemnitz is loaded with "brutalistic architecture" square shaped concrete panel buildings, a legacy of the communist era in former East Germany. These are residential and commercial buildings in the city center and big residential apartment blocks outside the city center.

The city was heavily bombed in WW2, and about half the buildings in the central city were leveled. Not as bad as Dresden, but lots of beautiful buildings were in rubble. After WW2, there was no "Marshall Plan" for East Germany under Soviet occupation or influence. The rebuilding was done however possible for low cost and using the limited resources available. Chemnitz was re-named as Karl Marx Stadt (city) during the East Germany era, and most buildings were re-built similar to what is seen throughout the former Eastern Bloc countries allied with the former USSR. However, the quality of construction was good. Most of the post WW2 buildings in Chemnitz have been refurbished in the last 30 years, and most look pretty good today all things considered. I'll post some photos in a few weeks to give you an idea.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I'm headed back to Germany in a couple of weeks. I have an apartment leased in Chemnitz, a city in eastern Germany about 1 hour from either Leipzig or Dresden. Chemnitz is loaded with "brutalistic architecture" square shaped concrete panel buildings, a legacy of the communist era in former East Germany. These are residential and commercial buildings in the city center and big residential apartment blocks outside the city center.

The city was heavily bombed in WW2, and about half the buildings in the central city were leveled. Not as bad as Dresden, but lots of beautiful buildings were in rubble. After WW2, there was no "Marshall Plan" for East Germany under Soviet occupation or influence. The rebuilding was done however possible for low cost and using the limited resources available. Chemnitz was re-named as Karl Marx Stadt (city) during the East Germany era, and most buildings were re-built similar to what is seen throughout the former Eastern Bloc countries allied with the former USSR. However, the quality of construction was good. Most of the post WW2 buildings in Chemnitz have been refurbished in the last 30 years, and most look pretty good today all things considered. I'll post some photos in a few weeks to give you an idea.
Looking forward to it!

Old 10-05-2020, 03:16 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I’m not really seeing Brutalist architecture here. Reminds me more of a very low rise, International Style, Seagrams Building (and many skyscrapers in Chicago) simple, box-like, softened up with stucco/masonry finished mullions instead of steel and inset balconies.

Brutalist buildings usually entail exaggerated structural/articulated elements of the building thrusting outward or aggressively corbeled vertically, like Godzilla would get cut and bashed up brushing and swinging wildly against buildings like these.

I see strong elements here-

https://www.builderonline.com/design...in-san-diego_o

...and it's in your backyard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum