Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 07:38 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

This is a service that Matt Risinger profiled on his YouTube channel, The Build Show - it's the "Ready-Frame" service from Builder's First Source. It's not a modular home package, but, it does involve a CAD-designed, factory-cut framing package with ink-jet labeled pieces to help it be assembled quickly and correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVzC1Hr8M4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 08:10 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
This is a basic home factory service for the person who wants to DIY build their own home. I think this would be a bad idea to try to do it alone, and that goes double for a larger design... but if you're handy, have some experience in the trades and are reasonably fit, if you have the free time, and hire an experienced carpenter to help you get the place stood up properly and dried-in in reasonable time so the package isn't getting degraded by the weather, this might be a good way to go... just don't bite off more than you can chew.

This place is called Shelter-Kit, and they are in NH. They essentially provide a complete, pre-cut house kit, with assembly instructions for everything above the foundation. You have a chance to work with them on the design and the materials selection, so there's a great deal of flexibility. The base level of components is extremely basic, so if you want the house to last, you're going to want to upgrade from the base package. I did trade IMs a bit with someone here at CityData who went with a Shelter-Kit when he was younger and more able, and he was positive on the experience.

https://www.shelter-kit.com/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-23-2022 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-11-2023, 08:22 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
I like the one that looks like an Arts and Crafts bungalow, or maybe it is a remodeled one. Don't care for some of the other ones as they do look like offices. I prefer the kit homes that Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Wards, Sterling Homes, Lewis-Liberty homes and Aladdin Hones sold back in the 1900s. Think there were a few other such companies too like Harris Brothers, Gordon Van Tine, Bennett Brothers and some other ones. L.E.Crain Company was out of Houston,Texas. My point being, at least these look like homes and I can picture a family with kids living in them, or a couple. Set on a nice lawn with trees and flowers, a place to retreat to from work, school, just relax in. Some of the modern minimalist design ones do remind people of an office, and then they think of work, and you can't relax because that is on your mind. Also there were some houses that were called Lustron that were I believe made of steel panels, and then Sears, and Hodgson Co. in Mass. made bolt together houses that were panels you bolted together. Some may still be around.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:45 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
I like the one that looks like an Arts and Crafts bungalow, or maybe it is a remodeled one. Don't care for some of the other ones as they do look like offices. I prefer the kit homes that Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Wards, Sterling Homes, Lewis-Liberty homes and Aladdin Hones sold back in the 1900s. Think there were a few other such companies too like Harris Brothers, Gordon Van Tine, Bennett Brothers and some other ones. L.E.Crain Company was out of Houston,Texas. My point being, at least these look like homes and I can picture a family with kids living in them, or a couple. Set on a nice lawn with trees and flowers, a place to retreat to from work, school, just relax in. Some of the modern minimalist design ones do remind people of an office, and then they think of work, and you can't relax because that is on your mind. Also there were some houses that were called Lustron that were I believe made of steel panels, and then Sears, and Hodgson Co. in Mass. made bolt together houses that were panels you bolted together. Some may still be around.
I'm in a city with scads of old Craftsman houses, a bunch almost certainly kits. I'm pretty my 100+ YO house was a kit (not Craftsman), but I haven't been able to nail down which one yet. The original exterior planks are stamped 'outside wall sheathing', and I've just about decided it was added onto twice over the years. May never know until unless courthouse records have survived.

I'm always looking for a true Craftsman that hasn't been ruined by homeowner remodels that I can get before the flilppers get ahold of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum