Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 11:47 AM

53 posts, read 60,195 times

Advertisements

Hi all, considering moving back to the USA and trying to narrow down on where to live. We used to live on Long Island, NY for 3 years but wanted to find somewhere else now. Bonus, AA is close to Canada, where we live now.

I wanted to ask about schools. Our daughter is in grade 2 in private and doing well. I had a look at private elementary ones in AA and nothing strikes me in particular.

Can anyone share experiences with any private elementary ones in AA? Good or bad?
Also, how are the public schools? What is the ratio of students vs teacher?
Are they academic and also known for quality education?

We can be anywhere in the USA and Ann Arbour comes up often as one of the best places to live. Is that so? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 02:44 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Unless you are Catholic or looking for something very specific, public schools in and around Ann Arbor are superior.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:33 PM

Thank you! Not affiliated with any religion.
Any feedback on where the local kids end up going after HS? It's a long shot but we moved so many times that wanted to make sure we won't have to move again if we end up settling there.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:09 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I have lived in Ann Arbor since 1984. I have 3 adult daughters' who went K-12 in Ann Arbor. It was many years ago as the graduated high school in 2000, 2001, 2004. But I have been a school bus driver for AAPS for 3 years. So I have some "first hand" experience with Ann Arbor and AAPS.
I think it is fair to say overall the public schools in Ann Arbor are very good. Not the best in the state, but rather highly ranked on most lists for what it's worth.

I would also say that of the 18 or 19 elementary schools some are more "desirable" than others on paper.

Ann Arbor participates in the "schools of choice" program whereby a kid can potentially go to a school outside their assigned address. The catch is its based on availability. Kids that live within the boundary get first choice.
So if one wanted their kid in say King or Angell elementary the only sure way is to live inside the boundary.
The more popular elementary schools won't have any space, or very little space for schools of choice kids.
Aside from AAPS and private schools there are charter schools as well. They are technically public schools without a physical boundary and take kids first come first serve who apply. The problem there is some are excellent and some are bad. Its not hard to get in the bad ones. The good ones have more applicants than space and there is a lottery to get in.
There are no "hidden gems" to be found in the charter schools around here. People do their homework and know the good ones from the not so good ones.

Its not hard to do your own homework and figure out what works best for your family.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:59 AM

Thank you! Which ones would be more desirable?

Old 01-06-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margekr View Post
Thank you! Which ones would be more desirable?
I would say King, Angell, Burns Park would be some on my list of schools you can "buy in to" based on address that would be a good option.

Last edited by craig11152; 01-06-2022 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 04:18 PM

Thank you!

Old 04-28-2022, 08:03 PM

12 posts, read 13,199 times
We've had such a great experience at Thurston. The culture here is great. The principal knew my son's name within the first few days he was there. His teacher knows his older siblings' names after meeting them once (they're not at Thurston). Great school, and great community.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief End View Post
We've had such a great experience at Thurston. The culture here is great. The principal knew my son's name within the first few days he was there. His teacher knows his older siblings' names after meeting them once (they're not at Thurston). Great school, and great community.
I drive school buses for AAPS. Currently Thurston is on my morning run. The kids I take into school have been very well behaved on the bus all year long.
I can also say I can't remember a Thurston bus driver asking dispatch to have the principle meet the bus when it arrives. That "principle meet the bus" thing means there was a problem on the bus with some student or students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
View detailed profiles of: