Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 02:52 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

The other night my wife and I were talking about some of the stores and restaurants in Ann Arbor when we lived there from 1976-1979, while I was in law school. During most of that time she was a bookkeeper at Maude's, which I realize has been out of business for a long time.

What we were trying to remember, though, was an old-fashioned department store on Main Street. I'm pretty sure my wife bought some clothing and fabric there at various times, and the fun part of the store was that they had pneumatic tubes, so when you made a purchase you would write your check or give them the cash and the cashier would take the payment and the sales slip and send it up in the pneumatic tube, and your receipt and the change would come back.

Does anyone remember that store, and what the name was?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 08:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
There was an SS Kresge store, but it was on South State and North University. I think it is a walgreens now. I do not remember a big department store. Seems like there was a huge hole in the ground for many years where my brother said there was once a store of some kind. That was near main street, but no on it as best I remember.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:53 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Thanks. This was a pretty small store. I think it was on the block of Main Street between Washington and Huron, or maybe between Washington and Liberty. My wife used to work at NBD, which is now Chase, on the corner, and this store was on the same block on the other side of the street.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:39 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
Are you thinking of Kline's? My former mother-in-law, now deceased, was a saleswoman and did alterations there for many years.

The 1896 building is still there, now restored to shops and loft apartments. It was covered up under a pretty plain exterior back in the 70s. Look up Pratt Block for details.

There are some photos at the A2 Library site. See this page and also some of the surrounding pages if you are interested. https://aadl.org/taxonomy/term/19570?page=4

Last edited by CatzPaw; 08-28-2021 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 08-28-2021, 04:50 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
There are some photos at the A2 Library site. See this page and also some of the surrounding pages if you are interested. https://aadl.org/taxonomy/term/19570?page=4
Is that next to what's now Gratzi? There was a clothing store we always walked through - we'd always park in the Ashley St lot when Ryder's was on Liberty. Both Ryders and the clothing store had back entrances, so if we were going onto Main to cross the street to go to Wilderness Outfitters (now Moosejaw), it was quicker to cut through there.
I think the only thing I've ever bought anything there was maybe a tie between 95 and 04

Old 09-02-2021, 07:43 AM

46 posts, read 60,474 times
The department store was called Goodyear's Department Store and was on the northwest corner of Main and Washington.
https://aadl.org/taxonomy/term/66672

I helped gut the place in 1983 after it had closed and was converted into offices. It still had the pneumatic tube system when it closed. I remember there was a backroom storage area that had this huge, amazing Jantzen print on the wall that I wish I had taken.

Last edited by lbj42; 09-02-2021 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
View detailed profiles of: