Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 12:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 15,097,754 times

Advertisements

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?id=...27150550073408

I find it interesting that the places that received a lot of immigration from the Canary Islands and Andalusia regions of Spain (relative to the size of the population that was already there where they migrated to) where Spanish is still spoken, for the most part it’s very hard to understand their dialects as it’s very hard to understand the Canarians and the Andalusians. They do say that the Canarian influence is noticeable in the Spanish spoken in Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (Venezuelans, particularly from Caracas, have a similar dialect to these places too.)

They all have the habit of eating the “S” at the end of words, speaking too fast among other issues that makes it very hard for most Spanish speakers to understand them.

Now lets talk about Chile? What? What? What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 01:19 PM

50,439 posts, read 64,233,743 times
My DIL is from Puerto Rico and her mother’s side of the family came from Spain. I’m sure some of the Spain influences their speech.I am trying a Spanish app, and I get all the exercises correct, but the people speak so fast, that I doubt I’ll ever get it.

My 2 little grands, age 3 and 6, both go to bilingual schools, and they switch back and forth easily. Kids are like sponges.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:36 PM

5,776 posts, read 11,427,048 times
Ha Ha, good thread. I attended my senior year of high school as an exchange student in Chile in 1971. Sure, I spoke Spanish well upon arrival, and was quickly immersed into the Chilean style of the language. To this day I avoid using the pronunciation (or lack or pronunciation) that typifies Chilean style of Spanish. However, there are a number of Chilean slang words that I still like to use.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:58 AM

1,008 posts, read 891,119 times
Cuban Spanish is very difficult to understand, I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, but I speak it very fluently to the point of people don't even know that I'm a native speaker of Portuguese.
I have no problems understanding Chileans, Dominicans and Venezuelans, but when in Miami with Cubans, I preferred to speak in English, being honest. I remember that once, I even got upset by a Cuban/American lady in a bar who insisted on speaking to me in Cuban Spanish that I couldn't understand half of.
For native Portuguese speakers, when I taught Spanish I noticed that Brazilians students understand Argentine/Uruguayan Spanish easier. Probably because they speak slowly and paused like in Italian and Portuguese.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:05 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,838,648 times
I thought Rioplatenese was the most distinct from “regular” Spanish.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:06 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,838,648 times
Who can understand this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7SM9FLITPs&t=596s

Old 05-13-2024, 11:27 AM

7,445 posts, read 6,610,691 times
I’m not fluent in Spanish by any means but in my experience—which echoes the sentiments of other, fluent Spanish speaking individuals I’m friends with—Cubans and Mexicans mangle the language.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:17 PM

12,099 posts, read 8,491,552 times
I learned my Spanish from a young high school teacher who studied in Mexico City and later from two college professors. One was a medical Doctor to Ecuador and the other who spoke classical Spanish. That was fifty years ago.

It has been rare in Minnesota to have conversations with Spanish speaking people. But I travel to Quintana Roo at least once a year. It's a vacation area and it's common to run into many different varieties of Spanish there. Most of the locals seem to speak a mixture of Mayan, Mexican Spanish and slang.

I was once gobsmacked by asking, ["Que hora es?"][/i] and being met with a blank look.

That man in the video would first have to be asked to take that cigar out of his mouth for me to understand him. When I turned the closed caption on I could understand what he was saying but I see the interpreter for the video also missed some of what he said.

The sound of their exchange reminded me of a dialect I hear sometimes in Georgia that sounds like a mouth full of grits.

And I find it difficult to speak to Cubans. First, because their social comfort zone is too in my face and secondly because they speak too loudly and fast for me. In traveling I learned fast to request slower speech.

I always enjoy your comments on regional language differences, Antonio.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:01 PM

4,714 posts, read 3,052,398 times
I was once told (long ago; can't remember by whom)
that Chilean Spanish was the closest New World
dialect to the Spanish spoken in Spain.

Not so?

Old 05-14-2024, 11:45 AM

7,445 posts, read 6,610,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I was once told (long ago; can't remember by whom)
that Chilean Spanish was the closest New World
dialect to the Spanish spoken in Spain.

Not so?
I have always thought Colombians speak the best Spanish outside of Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas