Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 10:25 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

From my understanding, the only countries that may have some beef with Colombia are Venezuela and Panama.

Venezuela received millions of Colombian immigrants for years (many if not most illegals) and more than a few Venezuelans say the Colombian arrivals is what swelled the slums. How much truth there is to their claim is up in the air, but the ones that believe that are not two or three. It's said that Maduro himself was born in Colombia and really is a Colombian.

Panama was part of Colombia for many years and managed to become independent with the help of the USA. I personally doubt Panama would had ever separated from Colombia if it was left to the might and will of the Panamanians alone. There are plenty of examples in Latin America of countries that became independent by the sheer will of the locals, no one from any country giving them a hand even when they formally asked for help from "friendly neighbors" as defeat by that point meant a widespread massacre of the local population, military and civilians. Not saying one is better than the other, just that without the USA putting its nose in the Colombian-Panamanian rift, today there wouldn't be Panama the country vs Panama one more department of Colombia.

Colombia and Brazil have never had any disagreements, as far as I know. If anything, the two countries live in their own worlds with the locals never if ever thinking of the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 04:36 PM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times
I think there was some tension between Colombia and Nicaragua over some Island in the Caribbean sea. I have heard Nicaraguan custom officials give a hard time to Colombians passing through there. Probably due to resentment over the island.

Wasn't there also some tension between Colombia and Peru at some point? I believe it was some type of border dispute.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:54 PM

219 posts, read 172,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Do Colombia and Brazil dislike each other?
Yes, because according to the Colombians the Brazilians can't march. They might have a point, judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=410YmMokcEU&t=120s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtUg6BTovxY

Old 07-28-2023, 11:34 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
As a Brazilian I believe my country is making a serious mistake by aligning itself with the dictatorships of Russia and China in this BRICS nonsense.

Brazil is a Western democracy with Western democratic values, and therefore should be firmly in the Western democratic bloc. Russia and China are anti-democratic forces in the world, and work to undermine democracy around the world. Brazil has no place in any "strategic bloc" with those countries, at least not while those countries are under their current political regimes.
USA is not the good guys. Ask you Latin American neighbors about all that.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:39 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Except that no one speaks of BRIC nations anymore. As has been pointed out this will just be a power play for China. Given that India has its own global ambitions I doubt that they are interested in being a Chinese vassal.
Assuming that you're correct for the sake of argument here, the point of a more balanced global economic sphere still stands as far as I'm concerned. Even if it's China being the counterweight to U.S. economic might, there's an argument to be made for greater diversity and shared influence among nations from an economic perspective. As things stand now, if the US and EU sanction you (or just one of those political bodies), you're pretty screwed. With another player having some different perspectives, that's no longer the case (or less so the case). Again, bad for the US, but I can see how other countries would welcome such an alternative.

Old 07-30-2023, 08:20 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Well the trend is down for the dollar, nevertheless it is still currently the top dog. When/if nations like BRICS and Euro nations band together in their effort to wean themselves from the dollar, it certainly doesn't strengthen US hegemony. Ultimately it would appear the dollar will continue to lose market share slowly, like the old frog boiling in a pot. One day we will note that while the dollar is important, it won't be nearly as important.
Lol, the trend is down for the dollar in your dreams. Proportion of daily trading in USD has increased in the past 10 years and USD accounts for 60% of global forex reserves.

BRICS are useless, and why would European countries band together in their effort to wean themselves from the dollar when one of the BRICS is clearly their number 1 enemy?

Old 07-30-2023, 08:49 AM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lol, the trend is down for the dollar in your dreams. Proportion of daily trading in USD has increased in the past 10 years and USD accounts for 60% of global forex reserves.

BRICS are useless, and why would European countries band together in their effort to wean themselves from the dollar when one of the BRICS is clearly their number 1 enemy?
So useless 40 countries want to join. LOL.

https://www.voanews.com/a/more-count...-/7190526.html

You are also failing to mention that at 60% (technically 59% but they are rounding up) it's at a 25% low. Clearly there are efforts to globally wean off the U.S. dollar. The dollar doesn't have to be dethroned, but must merely be made an ineffective foreign policy tool.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:35 PM

233 posts, read 230,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Brazil's number one trading partner is China, the exports of Brazil to China have increased at an annualized rate of 17.6%, from $1.31B in 1995 to $88.3B in 2021. Brazil expects to triple that by the end of this decade.

Compared to the annualized trade with the US at the rate of only 4.71%, from $9.12B in 1995 to $30.2B in 2021. By the end of the decade it most likely that the growth will be minimal. "money talks, bullsh*t walks" famous Chinese proverb.
According to Professor HOC, when you talk about currency or dealing with currency, you have to make distinction between reserve currency, issuing currency of debt/credit, or transaction currency. USD is dominant in all those spheres, with unassailable dominance in as issuing currency and reserve currency (60%+ market share).

There will always a dominant currency, if it is not dollar, it will have to another one.

If Chinese Yuan aspires to be the dominant currency, it will imply a fundamental change China runs the economy, and will relinquish some of its control which the PRC is not ready to do...

(use auto translate to English)

O mundo vai trocar o Dólar pelo Yuan? Veja opinião do Professor Hoc!

Old 08-07-2023, 05:43 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Brazil is a Western democracy with Western democratic values, and therefore should be firmly in the Western democratic bloc. Russia and China are anti-democratic forces in the world, and work to undermine democracy around the world. Brazil has no place in any "strategic bloc" with those countries, at least not while those countries are under their current political regimes.

What a better proof of what I said at the start of this thread than the recent military coup in Niger:

Supporters of Niger's National Council for the Safeguard of the Homeland (CNSP) wave Niger and Russian flags as they demonstrate in Niamey. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-who-led-coup

Old 08-07-2023, 05:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Do Colombia and Brazil dislike each other?
What???

As a Brazilian, I can say I love Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas