Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 03:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times

Advertisements

There is some building going on in the historic center but more renovations than anything. There are too many historical buildings to build much of anything around there. There were already a lot of buildings torn down after the major 1976 earthquake. During the civil war the area fell into dispair, so over the last decade or so there are efforts to preserve, restore and renovate the area. Very slowly things are coming around. You hear about young people wanting to move to the centro historico. Something you wouldn't have heard a decade ago. Lots of old buildings being turned into apartments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5BZsSk24XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LfVEj_G2Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTxyBJI-3U

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 10-25-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There is also a safety factor to highrises, since they are gated communities on a vertical scale. They have their own security and not everyone is allowed in them without permission.

Yeah in a place like Guatemala city, I think that is a big factor for many looking to buy an apartment

Old 10-25-2020, 05:39 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Maan I need to get myself to Guatemala! Always considered Guatemala city as the most elegant big(ish) city in Central America.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Maan I need to get myself to Guatemala! Always considered Guatemala city as the most elegant big(ish) city in Central America.
Do it bro, go check out Guate.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:03 PM

1,007 posts, read 415,782 times
Santo Domingo. Dominican Republic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBv9...=CapricornioTV

Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM

3,992 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodini View Post

looks like a very nice neighborhood

Old 10-26-2020, 07:12 PM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
looks like a very nice neighborhood
That's not a typical neighborhood or even how people dress. A quick glance of the city in Google Street View gives a closer view of reality.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 PM

3,992 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That's not a typical neighborhood or even how people dress. A quick glance of the city in Google Street View gives a closer view of reality.
I was joking.

We have "hoods" like that in Brazil too. Less than 2% of Brazil's population live in "hoods" of that kind. In some cities like Rio that number may rise to 5% of the city population.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I was joking.

We have "hoods" like that in Brazil too. Less than 2% of Brazil's population live in "hoods" of that kind. In some cities like Rio that number may rise to 5% of the city population.
Even in "hoods" most people aren't like that,

Anyway, the following data is old (2005) and in fact in most countries they have fallen with various degrees of success, though in a few like Venezuela it probably went through the roof. The percentage of people living in urban substandard housing on a national level (blue) and the average for the region (the black line). Most of these types of homes are found in slums. In some countries where most of the population is urban its a close proxy to the situation on a nationwide level, but those countries where the most of the population is rural or it makes a significant percentage then the graph only tells part of the story. In the DR the rural population has gone down to about 20% - 30%, from a high over 80% as recent as the 1980's.

For those that may not know, Santo Domingo is in Dominican Republic (República Dominicana).

https://issuu.com/poderesip/docs/solacc_2012_web/64?ff

Old 10-27-2020, 03:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's encouraging to know they're not abandoning the historic center around that big square, converting some buildings to apartments is a great start.

Having done 5 trips to Central America (no Costa Rica) in the 2000's, riding the chicken buses everywhere, my top favorite city is Tegucigalpa. I'm a sucker for hilly cities. Guatemala City is up too high in elevation and too flat and the hills/mountains too far off into the distance to make it a prettier city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas