Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 04:56 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times

Advertisements

The title says it - I personally don't think this is an "Alternative Medicine" issue, but I guess by default, it is, since most docs don't seem to understand the concept of patient advocacy or agency.

I go to the doctor as a last resort and view them as consultants. I listen to what they say, then I DECIDE what to do. I factor their input into my decision.

To me, this is common sense and I would think everyone does it this way, but I've gotten a subtle vibe that this is not the case. I think I might be seen as a nut or rebel (probably both true to one degree or another).

I can't understand why anyone would give a doctor authority over their body and what goes into it, how it is sliced and diced, etc.

That's it.

That's the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 08:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Agreed. I think modern medicine is wonderful for acute, emergency situations. But for long term care of certain ailments or just general health, most mainstream doctors (and dentists as well) are inclined (or even required, like for a quota) to push whatever treatment puts the most in their pocket, whether or not it's beneficial or even needed.

Just the other day I heard from an old friend who said she went for a check up and the doctor was concerned about the blood pressure results, and prescribed some meds. My friend stated "I like the doctor, she's nice, so I guess I'll take the pills."

Oy vey. I don't know how to respond to that. Maybe "do some research before blindly ingesting pharmaceutical drugs"?

Old 03-17-2024, 06:01 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Same here. As a child in the late 60's-early 70's, I watched as my sick mother went from doctor to doctor. They each would do all the tests (which showed nothing), then tell her she was "fine" and it was "all in her head". Finally she found an "alternative" doctor who was willing to see beyond the tests and try to treat her as a holistic individual.

As an adult I avoid doctors except as last resort. The couple of times I lapsed into the mindset of "the doctor knows best" I got burned pretty bad by side effects from pharma drugs. I do appreciate modern medicine and their life-saving and breakthrough treatments. As for me personally, I try to stay healthy via diet and "alternative medicine".

Old 03-17-2024, 10:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Same here. As a child in the late 60's-early 70's, I watched as my sick mother went from doctor to doctor. They each would do all the tests (which showed nothing), then tell her she was "fine" and it was "all in her head". Finally she found an "alternative" doctor who was willing to see beyond the tests and try to treat her as a holistic individual.

As an adult I avoid doctors except as last resort. The couple of times I lapsed into the mindset of "the doctor knows best" I got burned pretty bad by side effects from pharma drugs. I do appreciate modern medicine and their life-saving and breakthrough treatments. As for me personally, I try to stay healthy via diet and "alternative medicine".
That's my story as well, had several issues from long term prednisone use and my son couldn't get out of the ear infection/antibiotic cycle until we started seeing an alternative practitioner. That was nearly 40 years ago. Since then I'm straight up with doctors that I really don't want meds, will try everything else first.

It's not about disrespecting doctors, it's more about understanding that each type of doctor is educated in different approaches. I love my orthopedic surgeon who put my arms back together after a bad fall.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:30 AM

1,191 posts, read 615,484 times
Everyone has a different mindset with most everything in life including doctors.

I'm one who will listen to a doctor, walk out and do my own thing (alternative medicine). Rarely a conventional doctor will listen to alternatives, I have met only 1 doctor who was interested in my life.

Then there are those who will do everything the doctor tells them. These type of people are not curious, don't do any research, etc. They take the prescribed pills and don't question it. I guess because the doctor has M.D. next to his/her name they trust them. I have tried talking to some of my friends but they don't want to hear it so I learned my lesson and stay quiet.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:23 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Dana White gave an interesting interview where he stated he would no longer see a doctor, they are just trained to give you drugs...

He started seeing a human biologist, got him off his medications and now not falling asleep during the day
https://twitter.com/RealMattCouch/st...64448946377066

Old 03-18-2024, 12:30 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Doctors have a [u]legal [/U]right to practice. They keep doing it until they think they gtt it right. You take that for what it's worth.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:19 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Dana White gave an interesting interview where he stated he would no longer see a doctor, they are just trained to give you drugs...
And consumers have been equally trained (or rather, debrained) to seek out and ask for drugs for every single ailment or dysfunction. Evidently the advertising campaign is working. We see it here around the forum all time especially regarding mental health topics, and I cringe every time I see "prescription medication" blindly offered as a solution for one's problems.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
And consumers have been equally trained (or rather, debrained) to seek out and ask for drugs for every single ailment or dysfunction. Evidently the advertising campaign is working. We see it here around the forum all time especially regarding mental health topics, and I cringe every time I see "prescription medication" blindly offered as a solution for one's problems.
And health insurance is set up to cover the traditional doctors and the drugs they prescribe. Many people wouldn't consider paying cash for a doctor outside the system or for any treatment their insurance won't cover.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:18 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post

... Rarely a conventional doctor will listen to alternatives, I have met only 1 doctor who was interested in my life...
This is a quality that many people, especially those suffering from chronic conditions, feel is missing from their relationship with a primary care doctor. Even if they had the inclination, MD's don't schedule enough time to really learn much about their patients.

A close friend of mine is the Naturopathic doctor in JNU. She requires 90 minutes for a first appointment for the purpose of getting to know the person. Subsequent visits are 60 minutes. For her, these individual life stories are crucial for a holistic approach and are the most compelling aspect of her work.

I don't have any chronic conditions and have only visited a couple MDs in my life. They didn't exude the "gods and dictators" vibe, although certainly there must be some out there with that attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine