Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 08:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

My 85 year old mother has severe osteoporosis, took Fosamax for 15 years (way too long) and for the last year took daily shots of some new expensive medication that also didn't improve anything. She had smoked for 60 years, ate very little protein. At 85, this is her only health issue, hunched over, shrunk several inches, hard to walk without pain.

I just had a DEXA scan because of that family history, no symptoms, and I was just diagnosed with it now too, a T score of -4.5. I'm not thrilled about going on Fosamax. Not on any meds now, healthy weight, walk 30-45 minutes a day, use vibration plates, take vitamins, don't drink or smoke, sleep well. I admit, I'm in denial, I don't want to believe I have it.

Any suggestions on what has helped? Or what doesn't work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 09:22 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Look up KenDBerryMD on youtube. See video "Reverse/Prevent Osteoporosis" for tips on what to do and not to do - and why.

Old 06-10-2023, 01:22 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
From what I've been reading lately, Vit K is very worthwhile, via food and/or supplements.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:40 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Lifestyle changes are helpful - stop smoking, reduce or eliminate soda and alcohol consumption, increase exercise, eat real (not processed) food. As for supplements, several minerals are important for bone health, including magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, and boron. Vitamin C is also helpful for cross-linking of proteins and collagen formation. Additionally, there seems to be a direct correlation between vitamin D3 status and bone density, and D3 is most effective when taken with vitamin K2 and magnesium.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:15 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My 85 year old mother has severe osteoporosis, took Fosamax for 15 years (way too long) and for the last year took daily shots of some new expensive medication that also didn't improve anything. She had smoked for 60 years, ate very little protein. At 85, this is her only health issue, hunched over, shrunk several inches, hard to walk without pain.

I just had a DEXA scan because of that family history, no symptoms, and I was just diagnosed with it now too, a T score of -4.5. I'm not thrilled about going on Fosamax. Not on any meds now, healthy weight, walk 30-45 minutes a day, use vibration plates, take vitamins, don't drink or smoke, sleep well. I admit, I'm in denial, I don't want to believe I have it.

Any suggestions on what has helped? Or what doesn't work?
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis recently and have opted for an infusion - only because my doctor recommended I do some form of treatment. I'm at risk for a fracture. (Like I don't have enough problems! LOL) Medication is called Reclast.

It's a once a year thing for five years. I didn't want to have to take another pill every day.
Will report back once I get the infusion. Supposed to be very easy. 15 mins or so and then you sit for a few minutes, let it get going in your bloodstream.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:49 AM

Thanks for all the posts. Started off watching Dr Ken Berry's videos yesterday and then of course, youtube suggested many more. There was an interesting one from Japan covering several aspects from different doctors/researchers. They interviewed the doctor who discovered how to see the actual osteoclasts and osteoblasts working on bones through a microscope. Fascinating! Helps me to understand what is happening. I want the osteoclasts to keep getting rid of old damaged bone and want the osteoblasts to keep building new.

And the whole use it or lose it type exercises - found several videos showing specific exercises to strengthen different bones, many simple but necessary. Standing on toes, one foot, squats, sitting/standing, push ups against wall, etc.

Also started back with D3 and K2 plus my regular vitamins.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis recently and have opted for an infusion - only because my doctor recommended I do some form of treatment. I'm at risk for a fracture. (Like I don't have enough problems! LOL) Medication is called Reclast.

It's a once a year thing for five years. I didn't want to have to take another pill every day.
Will report back once I get the infusion. Supposed to be very easy. 15 mins or so and then you sit for a few minutes, let it get going in your bloodstream.
Do you know what your T score is? I've had fractures in the past but they were from hard falls so I didn't really think it was osteoporosis and my doctors never had me tested.

Yes let us know about the infusion!

Old 06-10-2023, 07:52 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
There are many you-tube videos on natural osteoporosis prevention and reversal. I would never take any supplement containing both calcium and magnesium, apparently they go through the same channels and might cancel each other out. I've been taking a calcium supplement called E-Zorb for years, it's powdered in a gel capsule and doesn't need the participation of Vitamin D or magnesium for absorption.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:56 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Do you know what your T score is? I've had fractures in the past but they were from hard falls so I didn't really think it was osteoporosis and my doctors never had me tested.

Yes let us know about the infusion!
I took Reclast and recommend it. I tried Bloniva (which is an alternative to Fosamax) and my stomach couldn’t handle it. You have to take it first thing on an empty stomach and can’t eat or drink (except water) for 30 minutes afterwards. Ugh.

I am actually experiencing a 3 year “holiday” from osteoporosis meds. My spine score improved and my hip score remained the same. Both scores are in the osteopenia category. I still have to be monitored due to my age (nearly 70) and the one fall I had 5 years ago which resulted in a fracture of a vertebrae. The backwards fall isn’t what did it—I was twisting and turning to such a degree to keep from falling that I broke a bone.

I also walk about 2 miles a day, and go to the gym and do weight bearing exercises with kettlebells and dumbbells twice a week. Since I’ve never been much of an athlete, I work with a personal trainer who monitors the weight I use and my form.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:01 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I have been takling Solgar calcium with D3 for many years,it seems to work ,but drinking milk also helps,I can see it in my teeth,feels stronger and whiter.
Fosamax is bad news,you have to stand for x minutes after taking it,there are other side effects,do a search on lawsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine