Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:58 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times

Advertisements

Is there a difference in effectiveness between drowsy and non-drowsy medication for allergies? Does one work better than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 03:10 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
The active antihistamines in drowsy/non drowsy meds are different. You'll probably need to experiment with products that contain different types to decide which works better for you. An overview article that might be of interest:

https://www.goodrx.com/classes/antih...mine-allergies

Old 02-02-2022, 01:29 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
Thank you!

Old 02-14-2022, 09:19 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Yes, thank you Parnassia. For the first time in ... well ever, I have allergies this year. At first, I thought it was a cold but it doesn't feel the same. No aches or pain or sinus pain or anything except stuffiness, bit of a scratchy throat post nasal drip junk. ewe Decided to look for something that could help but didn't know where to start. Your link is perfect.

Thank you so much

Old 02-14-2022, 10:32 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
The 1st Generation anti-histamines:

work well, but the drowsiness is often unbearable. Also, for me, they all cause difficulties while urinating. As we age, these two side effects should steer us away from their use because of fall hazards

Quote:
Second- and third-generation antihistamines include:
On top of not being as sedating, these newer antihistamines have major advantages over their first-generation cousins. Importantly, they don’t cause dry mouth, constipation, or urinary retention (where you can’t empty your bladder completely). They also tend to last longer so they only need to be used once or twice a day.
The best choice of antihistamine for you depends on what’s most important to you. Let’s look at a few things you might consider when deciding on which of the newer antihistamines to try.

In practice, I've found Claritin and Zyrtec to be the best for me and for my patients. Both work and both are relatively cheap OTC generics

Old 02-15-2022, 07:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The 1st Generation anti-histamines:

work well, but the drowsiness is often unbearable. Also, for me, they all cause difficulties while urinating. As we age, these two side effects should steer us away from their use because of fall hazards

In practice, I've found Claritin and Zyrtec to be the best for me and for my patients. Both work and both are relatively cheap OTC generics

Excellent summary. I use Claritin. My allergies have been bothering me during the winter, too, so I have had to use Claritin all-year the last few years. I add Nasacort during the pollen season (April-October). Contrary to popular belief, you don't tend to outgrow allergies. Instead, allergies tend to get worse with age.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:37 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, thank you Parnassia. For the first time in ... well ever, I have allergies this year. At first, I thought it was a cold but it doesn't feel the same. No aches or pain or sinus pain or anything except stuffiness, bit of a scratchy throat post nasal drip junk. ewe Decided to look for something that could help but didn't know where to start. Your link is perfect.

Thank you so much
Those are Omicron symptoms, you might want to get tested.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:24 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Those are Omicron symptoms, you might want to get tested.
I did test. It's not omnicron. It's allergies. The allergy med I took is working.

It's not all about covid. Things are blooming here.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:22 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I did test. It's not omnicron. It's allergies. The allergy med I took is working.

It's not all about covid. Things are blooming here.
No, it's not all covid, but... My husband insisted he just had a cold, gave it to me; we both tested positive for covid. Mild case, though I'm still coughing a month later.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Excellent summary. I use Claritin. My allergies have been bothering me during the winter, too, so I have had to use Claritin all-year the last few years. I add Nasacort during the pollen season (April-October). Contrary to popular belief, you don't tend to outgrow allergies. Instead, allergies tend to get worse with age.
I use Mucinex and a spray called Astelin but I still need allergy shots for ragweed and mold. (Autumn allergies.) Thanks for adding that you do not outgrow allergies--I haven't found a good allergist since I moved here and tried a new one a couple of months ago. I won't be going back because she actually said that older people don't have allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies