Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM

54 posts, read 63,287 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm allergic to dust mites (and dust). I currently have itchy rash spots on my skin.

I'm confused about 2 conflicting ways to get rid of dust mites (in my apartment bedroom carpet):

1. Steam cleaning.

2. Don't steam clean -- because dust mites multiply when the carpet is wet.
They recommend bug sprays that dry overnight and then can be vacuumed.

Which option is best? If it's #2, what's the best "eco" or "natural" bug spray?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 06:06 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Trying t get rid of mites by cleaning carpets or using pesticide is like trying to make a hole in the lake by removing a bucket of water. You may lower the bug count temporarily, but it won't last long.

Removing the carpet and going with bare floors has a better chance of making a difference.

There's also Odactra-- a tablet taken under the tongue to desensitize you to mites-- kinda like taking allergy shots. I have no experience with it-- don't know how well it works or what it costs or how likely the nasty side effects are.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
The preferred option is not to have carpet at all. If you have to have carpet, then the best option is to get a good vacuum with a HEPA filter and vacuum at least weekly. No one has ever recommended to me that I should steam or use a pesticide on carpets. The main recommendations are to keep humidity levels where dust mites are not happy (between 30-50%), try your best to have hard floors but if you cannot then vacuum weekly, cover beds/pillows with allergy covers if available, etc.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:50 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Also they make special covering for yourpillows and matress that zip up. Vacuuming your mattress 1-2 times a week can help
I am aleergic to dust mites as well. Some of my home has wood floors but I am hoping to do the other 2 rooms and rip up the carpets. I also recently got diagnosed with Asthma.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:00 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Here's a link https://www.hunker.com/12148179/how-...rpet-naturally

There were many helpful looking videos and web links after I did a simple search from my browser using " how to kill dust mites"

I think that you'll find something helpful. I also recommend going to a store like Walmart and looking at the pillow covers and mattress covers they have that help folks with allergies like yours. And perhaps a good air cleaner machine too.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:46 PM

guidoLaMoto, removing the carpet is a good idea -- but I live in an apartment and can't do that. That's why I was wondering if carpet steaming or using anti-dustmite chemicals is the better option if I only have those two options. One person said steam cleaning is better. Another person said steam cleaning is not a good idea because dust mites like wet conditions. Any thoughts?

RamenAddict, based on your helpful comments about humidity (and because I can't remove the carpet), would you recommend steam cleaning or anti-mite chemical sprays? I'd buy the natural kind. Thanks!

lubby, yes, I do have the special casings -- but I'm still getting allergic reactions to dust mites. It seems I can feel them crawling on me. Is that possible?

JanND, that's a very helpful link -- especially because I prefer natural products.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information. I concluded that expensive sprays and carpet steam treatments won't last. The dust mites will probably just come back.

At least they don't bite. I do get an allergic reaction (tests show I'm allergic to dust and mites).

I bought some 50/50 rubbing alcohol and a sprayer. Seems to keep the dust mites away at night when I spray it on me -- at least until 3 a.m. when I have to re-apply.

I'm also using a mattress encasement. I'm vacuuming and washing clothes/bedding more frequently.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:36 AM

7 posts, read 3,482 times
My friend has also dust mite allergy and because of this, I always search for the useful information online. I will surely share this post with him.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
I do not think that the regular use of either rubbing alcohol or insecticide is a good idea.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:11 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I do not think that the regular use of either rubbing alcohol or insecticide is a good idea.
oh god no.. clean with vinegar bicabonate only.. and get yourself a good quality purifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies