Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 01:16 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

"The law, which will go into effect July 1, will allow wine to be sold in 4.5-, 6-, 9-, 12- and 15-liter glass bottles"

Are there any circumstances that would have you buying a 15L bottle of wine?
I probably couldn't even lift it!

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/g...ne-containers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 02:15 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
I wasn't sure if this was real at first. I like that he has a sense of humor about it.

Chef Geoffrey Zakarian says he likes to bring a huge bottle of either champagne or wine (can't remember for sure) to parties. I don't remember how many standard bottles it held. I didn't realize there were so many sizes (I just looked it up). Anyway, that would be fun at a party.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:05 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"The law, which will go into effect July 1, will allow wine to be sold in 4.5-, 6-, 9-, 12- and 15-liter glass bottles"

Are there any circumstances that would have you buying a 15L bottle of wine?
I probably couldn't even lift it!

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/g...ne-containers/
I would much rather that they passed a law allowing those larger sizes in BOX wines. Those are the ones in cardboard boxes with a collapsible "bladder" inside the box. Not only are these box wines much lighter and easier to handle than the big glass bottles, but they also keep the wine much FRESHER for a much LONGER period.

Who the hell wants or needs a 6-liter (or greater size) BOTTLE of wine? Even a 4.5 liter bottle is bigger than most people will want or need. Once a bottle of wine is opened, it starts to go bad, and, if not drank in a day or two becomes foul tasting.

I'm sure that lobbyists for various industries (such as glass manufacturers) played a large part in the crafting of this new legislation. To me, it just makes no sense not to allow these larger sizes in typical box wines, but I guess that's politics for ya.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I would much rather that they passed a law allowing those larger sizes in BOX wines. Those are the ones in cardboard boxes with a collapsible "bladder" inside the box. Not only are these box wines much lighter and easier to handle than the big glass bottles, but they also keep the wine much FRESHER for a much LONGER period.

Who the hell wants or needs a 6-liter (or greater size) BOTTLE of wine? Even a 4.5 liter bottle is bigger than most people will want or need. Once a bottle of wine is opened, it starts to go bad, and, if not drank in a day or two becomes foul tasting.

I'm sure that lobbyists for various industries (such as glass manufacturers) played a large part in the crafting of this new legislation. To me, it just makes no sense not to allow these larger sizes in typical box wines, but I guess that's politics for ya.

I believe they were referring to businesses in the video, but even still it doesn't seem very practical. Seems like a lot of places will even serve the little one-serving bottles now if they don't move a lot of wine. I prefer that over a "brown" glass of wine that's turned. Was just served something like recently at a casual place where I would think most were drinking beer.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:09 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

I would be leery of believing that any storage container is better than glass. It's been used for centuries for a reason. I'm a photographer and artist, and those of us who shoot film always use glass containers for our developers and other chemicals.

I have heard of people using those wine bladders for use w/ their darkroom chemicals, but there's a sizable group of people who believe that the there could be a leeching off process from the plastic into whatever chemical you store in them. Looking at the science, I think that's a sound way to look at it. The molecules in glass are quite different than plastic or whatever those bladders are made of.

Would anyone notice a difference in taste? I don't know, but for a lot of reasons I would always choose glass because to certain extent, plastic of any sort is not as archival or neutral as glass. Especially if/when temperature changes may be involved.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:10 AM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I would be leery of believing that any storage container is better than glass. It's been used for centuries for a reason. I'm a photographer and artist, and those of us who shoot film always use glass containers for our developers and other chemicals.

I have heard of people using those wine bladders for use w/ their darkroom chemicals, but there's a sizable group of people who believe that the there could be a leeching off process from the plastic into whatever chemical you store in them. Looking at the science, I think that's a sound way to look at it. The molecules in glass are quite different than plastic or whatever those bladders are made of.

Would anyone notice a difference in taste? I don't know, but for a lot of reasons I would always choose glass because to certain extent, plastic of any sort is not as archival or neutral as glass. Especially if/when temperature changes may be involved.
Nowadays, you can buy nearly any kind of consumable liquid in plastic bottles. This includes whiskey which has a MUCH higher alcohol content than wine. It also includes soda/pop which is quite acidic, juices of all kinds, cough syrup, mouthwash, milk, etc.

I'm not the slightest bit concerned about the safety of wine in boxes with plastic bladders. Glass bottles are so 1940ish.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages