Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2023, 07:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times

Advertisements

In this thread I asked about premixing almost a whole gin bottle's worth of martinis, and keeping the batch in the freezer. As it turned out I had independently caught on to a hot new trend found at fashionable watering holes, just as Leibnitz and Newton invented calculus independently of each other. Go me!

But I've noticed now that when I first measure out a martini from the freezer batch, the liquid is actually translucent; a sort of pearly gray rather than water-clear. It's not unattractive, actually, just different, and it soon clears up. At first I thought it was just the frost on the glass, because I keep those in the freezer also, but as I said, I can see it in the liquid itself when I pour it into the mixing glass. But what does it mean? Is the vermouth freezing out of the mixture? I can't detect any difference in the taste.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I prefer martinis a little wet by contemporary standards, i.e. ~3.5 parts gin to 1 part vermouth. (I'm not even sure how I'd order that in a bar without annoying or insulting the barkeep.) What I did not mention in the other thread is that my freezer is currently set to 2°F (~ -17°C)

So, what's happening here? I'm curious about the physics of it. Is the sugar from the vermouth crystallizing?

Last edited by Those Who Squirm; 05-16-2023 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 07:04 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
My guess would be your freezer is just cold enough for the ingredients to freeze slightly and the translucency is caused by ice particles.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:15 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Did you use Clear Ice molds??
In a Clear Ice Maker, liquid passes through openings at the mold's top and bottom. The tiny air bubbles and liquid impurities are pushed outside the mold when freezing. This makes clear liquids crystal-clear.

https://www.amazon.com/True-Cubes-Cl...p_s_a_1_1_sspa

However, freezing alcohol or alcoholic drinks can ruin the taste and flavor of the alcohol.
Also, most alcohols will become cloudy in the freezer and thicken, but not freeze. This is a phenomenon called freezing point depression and can be rectified by thawing it.

The key difference between freezing point and freezing point depression is that freezing point is the temperature at which a liquid becomes a solid, whereas freezing point depression is the decrease of the freezing point of a solvent due to the addition of a solute into the solvent.

https://www.differencebetween.com/di...nt-depression/

https://punchdrink.com/articles/ever...roni-cocktail/

Last edited by elnina; 05-17-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-07-2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you use Clear Ice molds??
In a Clear Ice Maker, liquid passes through openings at the mold's top and bottom. The tiny air bubbles and liquid impurities are pushed outside the mold when freezing. This makes clear liquids crystal-clear.
We don't use ice molds at all as our freezer has an excellent ice maker. In the past I've usually found that ice from ice makers usually had an unpleasant taste reminiscent of oil or margarine, but the ice from the one we have now tastes perfectly clean.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
However, freezing alcohol or alcoholic drinks can ruin the taste and flavor of the alcohol.
Also, most alcohols will become cloudy in the freezer and thicken, but not freeze. This is a phenomenon called freezing point depression and can be rectified by thawing it.
I can't say I've noticed any problems with the taste, but it's possible that the drink "thaws" a little bit as I prepare and serve it.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:59 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I can't say I've noticed any problems with the taste, but it's possible that the drink "thaws" a little bit as I prepare and serve it.
I don't think a scientifically sound test can be made until after the third martini. Then, everything will probably taste just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages