Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 01:14 PM

777 posts, read 503,312 times

Advertisements

When I go to a steakhouse, I always get a Manhattan. That will tell me which steak to order. In a chain restaurant, I always get "bourbon rocks, with a splash of ginger ale".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 08:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If it's a full bar, order what you like. I'd say they provide the menu as a crutch for newbies who would otherwise not order anything.
I second this. I couldn't begin to tell you what's in a Mai Tai or even a Piña Colada (except I think there's rum in both). The menu's there to offer suggestions to the customers, but I think most people who go into a cocktail bar already know what they want.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:53 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
If the restaurant or bar where you are has its own cocktail menu, listing its own speciality drinks, is it bad form to order a classic drink that’s not on the menu, such as an Old Fashioned or Manhattan?

I figure that every bartender knows how to make them, but they may not want to spend the time or figure out the price.
No, it is not.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:54 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If it's a full bar, order what you like. I'd say they provide the menu as a crutch for newbies who would otherwise not order anything.
Yes, there is a lot of truth in that last part. My wife is Exhibit A.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Bar menus can actually be useful if you want a mocktail, because unless you don't drink liquor you probably don't know the options available. We had this great cucumber based drink one morning while staying at the Del Coronado; though it was a mocktail I'm pretty sure it was based on some kind of tropical cocktail that probably had rum in it. I was a little disappointed recently when I went on their website hoping the bar menu would list the ingredients, but they had left the mocktails off the website.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:45 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I rarely order off the cocktail menu at a restaurant. My go to is tito's on the rocks with 2 olives or a glass of white wine.
My husband usually gets a kettle one dirty Martini, LI Iced tea or a high ball.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:51 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
If the restaurant or bar where you are has its own cocktail menu, listing its own speciality drinks, is it bad form to order a classic drink that’s not on the menu, such as an Old Fashioned or Manhattan?

I figure that every bartender knows how to make them, but they may not want to spend the time or figure out the price.
You order what you want to drink, not what the bar wants you to drink.

Most cocktail menu drinks are so overpriced anyway

I have never been to a restaurant or bar that didn't have a "non-specialty", Bourbon, Scotch, etc. price list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages