Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A splash is what I go by. Gin with a splash of dry vermouth and olives. Everything must be very very cold.
(Bolding mine.)

Absolutely. It disturbs me when I see people drinking martinis in old movies, and when they finish the first round they pour "leftover" martinis from what's still in the shaker or mixing glass. It's like drinking a glass of (almost) room temperature gin and vermouth.

A second (or any) martini needs to be freshly prepared and mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post

Cocktails and mixology are mostly an American thing, and the dry martini is the US’s gift to the world.
H. L. Mencken called the martini "the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet", and he was absolutely right.

I believe I will have another.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
The iconic glass, the salty olive, the lemon peel, the cold clear liquid.

Nothing tastes better to this palate, so go make yourself one, if you like super boozy drinks:

2 oz gin
1 oz dry vermouth
4 dashes of orange bitters
I agree with all this, except it needs more gin.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know how some people can't drink even one shot of tequila? That's how I am with gin. So no gin in any drink for me, ever. Besides being immediately drunk and not in a cute way, I feel awful the next day.
I'm sort of that way with whisky. I love the taste of a good single malt Scots whisky, but to really appreciate it you have to drink it neat. And I don't want to get that drunk that quickly. So I never buy whisky, although I can appreciate it.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know how some people can't drink even one shot of tequila? That's how I am with gin. So no gin in any drink for me, ever. Besides being immediately drunk and not in a cute way, I feel awful the next day.

I can, however, easily drink vodka (and tequila but that's a story for another day). So I prefer a vodka martini, with a little bit of vermouth and three olives.

Dirty - a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Shaken, not stirred.
I know what you mean, K about gin. A little too much and I am down for the count. Vodka is better for me, too, in a Martini. In everything. Absolut.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I'm sort of that way with whisky. I love the taste of a good single malt Scots whisky, but to really appreciate it you have to drink it neat. And I don't want to get that drunk that quickly. So I never buy whisky, although I can appreciate it.
I getcha.

I am not generally a "hard likker" person but I do love a vodka martini occasionally. If a good bartender makes it - not me - LOL.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I know what you mean, K about gin. A little too much and I am down for the count. Vodka is better for me, too, in a Martini. In everything. Absolut.
I'm a Grey Goose Girl myself but it tends to last me forever because I just don't drink much in the way of mixed drinks anyway. I'm a wino who occasionally will have a beer, if it's a really hot day or if I'm having BBQ!

Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
The best martini I’ve ever had was at the restaurant on the mezzanine above Grand Central Station in NYC. It was a huge frosted martini glass, and the gin or vodka had been kept in the freezer. I don’t want anything funky in my martini, just a splash of dry vermouth and some nice big fat olives. Being icy cold is the secret.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The best martini I’ve ever had was at the restaurant on the mezzanine above Grand Central Station in NYC. It was a huge frosted martini glass, and the gin or vodka had been kept in the freezer. I don’t want anything funky in my martini, just a splash of dry vermouth and some nice big fat olives. Being icy cold is the secret.
Even fictional New Yorkers have been known to drink martinis at Grand Central, for example Tom Rath and Bill Ogden from The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:29 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Even fictional New Yorkers have been known to drink martinis at Grand Central, for example Tom Rath and Bill Ogden from The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit.
Really? I think it was an Italian restaurant. Do you know the name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages