Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 11:44 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It reminds me of this interview
https://youtu.be/IfhMILe8C84?si=jCcZJtTc-zx1Pdv_&t=394
"Do you wear wigs? Have you worn wigs? Will you wear wigs? When will you wear wigs?"

I mean, yes to both? But not, like, aggressively? lol

*moves Denmark to the top of my travel wish list*
LOL this interview! I don't know how I've never seen this and yes, that's exactly how the questioning exists in my memory, except we're surrounded by a circle of internationals peppering us with questions.

My answer always managed to come out something stupid like, "well no yeah, but no, I mean not like THAT, but yes. Of course." (Like, duh.)

The go-karts were SO cool. I would love to go back. I did of course get kicked off the track for aggressive driving, because how could you not in that scenario? They have surprisingly good food there. I didn't eat anything for the first several days because it all looked horrendous and inedible. I finally got hungry and got into the middle of it and then gained 20 pounds in the following six weeks. I never had any idea what in the world I was eating, but it was all amazing. Denmark is definitely my favorite place I was sent for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 08:10 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
I've always dreamed of visiting Alaska. My kid went with her grandmother on a scholarly cruise from Seattle to the Sitka area and loved it, so beautiful, such magnificent wildlife.

I've always imagined Alaskans to be generally mind-your-own-business, independent types who would help a neighbor in a pinch, but I haven't got any first hand evidence, just based on hearsay.

I hear some Russians would like to get Alaska back. "We shouldn't have sold it!" they are saying. I'm not sure that would be a good thing for Alaska. Just say "Nyet!"

Old 08-31-2023, 10:54 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I used to travel internationally for work a lot and the most frequent questions we Americans would get from our international colleagues were:

"do you all own guns?"
"do you all drive trucks?" or
"do you all drive jeeps?"

There seemed to be an impression that all Americans own firearms and drive either a pickup or a Jeep, although based on the media, that is not terribly surprising.

I own guns and a pickup truck. Nearly all my friends own guns and a pickup truck.

So there's that.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:21 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I've always dreamed of visiting Alaska. My kid went with her grandmother on a scholarly cruise from Seattle to the Sitka area and loved it, so beautiful, such magnificent wildlife.

I've always imagined Alaskans to be generally mind-your-own-business, independent types who would help a neighbor in a pinch, but I haven't got any first hand evidence, just based on hearsay.

I hear some Russians would like to get Alaska back. "We shouldn't have sold it!" they are saying. I'm not sure that would be a good thing for Alaska. Just say "Nyet!"
I was there for several months on an Air Force project. We got there in the summer and the sun would be out all night. It was beautiful there. We got to stay in a nice hotel. Lots of good food.

Oh yes - we were out in the middle of nowhere for the project and got to see the moose - huge beasts. Just glad never ran into a bear.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I own guns and a pickup truck. Nearly all my friends own guns and a pickup truck.

So there's that.
So do I, as did all of us I ever traveled with on those trips. The difficulty in response came from the implication that it was true of all Americans.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:17 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
So do I, as did all of us I ever traveled with on those trips. The difficulty in response came from the implication that it was true of all Americans.

Fair enough. None of my siblings, who all live in the lower 48, own a gun or a pickup truck.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:17 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
........Do people in Alaska listen to more country music? And drive jeeps or pickup trucks? ...........
I suspect that a lot of people in Alaska heat with wood. If you heat with wood, you need to have a pickup truck. You also own a chain saw and a maul and maybe a wood splitter. It has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

I'm not quite sure what taste in music has to do with politics. Probably age has a lot more to do with musical choices than politics.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that a lot of people in Alaska heat with wood. If you heat with wood, you need to have a pickup truck. You also own a chain saw and a maul and maybe a wood splitter. It has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

I'm not quite sure what taste in music has to do with politics. Probably age has a lot more to do with musical choices than politics.
Ehh, it helps to own a pickup, a chainsaw, splitting maul, etc, but there's also delivery.

I agree - politics is irrelevant to any of this. I have a mega-lefty sister that lives in Northern California and she cuts, splits, and hauls her own firewood. In a pickup truck. In casual clothes. But not pajamas. Definitely not listening to pop country music, but maybe classic country.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:00 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
And I have heated all but one AK house with wood (granted, I usually had two heat options so did go through less of it every year), have never owned a pickup truck, normally listen to Mozart, Chopin, Bach, and all the other music composed before the 20 century, detest most forms of "country" music, have never owned a gun, and have never left my property clad in pajamas. So there!

Old 09-06-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
And I have heated all but one AK house with wood (granted, I usually had two heat options so did go through less of it every year), have never owned a pickup truck, normally listen to Mozart, Chopin, Bach, and all the other music composed before the 20 century, detest most forms of "country" music, have never owned a gun, and have never left my property clad in pajamas. So there!
I thought I was dying from some horrific bug that was preventing me from keeping down food or fluids last spring and had not left my bed for three weeks, but when I was finally convinced to go to the ER, I still had to get dressed in real clothes. I seem to be incapable of leaving my front door in pajamas, lol.

Pop country makes me want to jam screwdrivers into both eardrums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska