Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 03:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

NOAA just released a report that confirms that the main reason for the snow crab decline in the Bering is climate change (they starved).

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/featu...2FChris%20Long.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-20-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 05:16 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
It was definitely hot in Alaska in 2018. And, it is obvious to see how that would warm ocean water near the surface. But warm water is less dense than cold water (except around freezing) so one would think the water warmed by unusually high air temperatures would stay near the top of the water column. Crab live on the bottom, hundreds of feet down and I would think water temps down there would be resistant to change.

It would be nice if an article included some more pertinent data. In other words, sea water temperatures at 600ft, where the crab live, was an average of X degrees before 2018 and was an average of Y degrees between 2018 and 2021. Most of what I see is sea surface temperatures. That's not where crab live.

Old 10-20-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It was definitely hot in Alaska in 2018. And, it is obvious to see how that would warm ocean water near the surface. But warm water is less dense than cold water (except around freezing) so one would think the water warmed by unusually high air temperatures would stay near the top of the water column. Crab live on the bottom, hundreds of feet down and I would think water temps down there would be resistant to change.

It would be nice if an article included some more pertinent data. In other words, sea water temperatures at 600ft, where the crab live, was an average of X degrees before 2018 and was an average of Y degrees between 2018 and 2021. Most of what I see is sea surface temperatures. That's not where crab live.
I really don't think the fisheries scientists at NOAA are that dumb.

I didn't see anything in the NOAA article that mentioned surface temperatures.

On the other hand, NOAA takes the temperature of the water on the seafloor every year during something called a bottom trawl survey, and that's where they got their temperature data.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:35 PM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
Quote:

I'm sure the change in temperatures is like a cascade effect. A chain reaction in the food chain that eventually works it's way to the crab. Think about the intricacy of the food chain from photoplanton to zooplanton... etc. The little fish who dine on them, etc etc.

Whether it be destroying the prey that the crab rely on... or the temps moving them somewhere else.

Though I doubt it's just temps that are destroying the crab. Overfishing, habitat destruction and higher temps combine to drastically damage the fishery.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:52 PM

During the marine heatwave, something called the "cold pool" — where juvenile snow crab (and other bottom-dwelling species) live — disappeared on the seafloor. The cold pool is formed every year as the sea ice melts. Data collected by the bottom trawl surveys mentioned by NOAA includes seafloor temperatures, degree of salinity, and the area covered by that year's cold pool.

NOAA's marine scientists are pretty good at what they do.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:00 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I really don't think the fisheries scientists at NOAA are that dumb.

I didn't see anything in the NOAA article that mentioned surface temperatures.

On the other hand, NOAA takes the temperature of the water on the seafloor every year during something called a bottom trawl survey, and that's where they got their temperature data.

I wasn't trying to say the scientists don't know what they are doing. Not at all. What I was trying to say is that I wish articles on these investigations included more specific information.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:20 PM

I think NOAA's most recent article did a pretty good job, but it's basically only an outline of a study that's many pages long, as it's meant to be.

Quote:

Here's where it explained how they got their temperature data:

Quote:
NOAA Fisheries scientists have observed ocean temperatures over the 40-year history of their annual bottom trawl survey of the eastern Bering Sea.
Btw, juvenile snow crab populations were at record levels just several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska