Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 05:15 AM

9 posts, read 32,787 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm....Interesting!!! Thanks Mama Dave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,164,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
As a semi-aside, I recently saw in the news that the new Miss Alabama USA is from Cullman County, and she is Black (or mixed ancestry). I was floored.
Originally from Birmingham, moved to Cullman.

Last edited by mcalumni01; 01-16-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 12:39 PM

Smile Cullman...

https://www.cullmantribune.com/2021/...s-alabama-usa/

You were absolutely right BamaDave!!! I looked it up this afternoon out of curiosity.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:43 PM

And by the way...I just saw my error...(Thick Fingers Typing In Dark Room) ... supposed to read BamaDave, Not MamaDave!!!

Old 01-23-2021, 08:07 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmov9mm View Post
and by the way...i just saw my error...(thick fingers typing in dark room) ... Supposed to read bamadave, not mamadave!!!
lol!

Old 01-24-2021, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,321 times
Default Diversity and Lake Communities in Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmov9mm View Post
Hi Sandy_Pt23,
Just saw your post to me, 1/10/2021 ... 2:28am...
In answer to your question ... No, we never moved to Smith Lake. In fact, we haven't moved anywhere at all since then! We sort of gave up on that idea. I was surprised to see your post; it's been ten years or so since I posted that lol!!! So long ago in fact that I had to search for my old email address, and get a new password in order to answer you ... Lol!!! No, I'm afraid "that train has left the station". Unless I move to Mexico, or the Dominican Republic, or Costa Rica like I keep telling the wife we should do, I'm pretty much stuck here in Southern Indiana...lol!!! Good luck on your future retirement (Lake) home hunting.
Hi. Thank you for responding. I appreciate the extra effort it must have taken. After all these years, some folks wouldn't have bothered or might have left the forum. I was both hopeful and pleasantly surprised.

I am sorry to hear you didn't find a lake home. My husband and I have dreamed of spending our retirement days on the lake. After 25 years of living near a major metropolitan area with traffic congestion and major snowfalls, we are ready for a quiet lifestyle of warmer weather, endless days to fish and gorgeous sunsets. For the past four years, we've been actively looking and reading "the best places to retire" articles, and have concluded the best place is near family. My husband is from Alabama, so we're heading "home."

We are fans of the HGTV show, Lakefront Bargain Hunt. Smith Lake has been featured several times, as well as another lake community, Lake Martin. Both have been on our list. We still don't have a lot of information about these communities as far as their cultural diversity. I'm an optimist, so I would like to believe after having been featured on HGTV, people from all walks of life have relocated or retired in these communities. Still, first-hand information is what we really need, and that has been hard to come by.

We were surprised to learn there are several lake communities within an hour's drive of Birmingham. Our nephew and his family live in a small lake community about 30 minutes from the city and they love it! The real estate market is surprisingly active in Alabama, and waterfront homes are getting snapped up. We hope to find a home before we get priced out of the market.

You may have given up on Smith Lake, but it sounds like your dream of being near water (and warmer weather) is still alive and well. If you decide to remain in the states and give Alabama a second glance, please reach out. I will be happy to share our experiences and the opportunities we encounter.

(PS: Sorry for the late reply; it has been a comedy of errors getting back to the forum and learning to navigate it.)

Old 02-27-2021, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,420 times
We too are looking to purchase a home on Smith Lake. We are a black family with roots in Alabama but currently live out of state. This lake is the most beautiful we’ve seen but we are nervous about how we’ll be accepted. I wonder if anyone has more recent experiences than when this post first went live? Lake living and boating can be so relaxing but if you’re worried about racism and not being accepted it’s not worth it :-(.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:26 AM

16 posts, read 36,039 times
Accepted? who cares, just live your life, it's not 1950

Old 02-27-2021, 10:35 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccpugh View Post
We too are looking to purchase a home on Smith Lake. We are a black family with roots in Alabama but currently live out of state. This lake is the most beautiful we’ve seen but we are nervous about how we’ll be accepted. I wonder if anyone has more recent experiences than when this post first went live? Lake living and boating can be so relaxing but if you’re worried about racism and not being accepted it’s not worth it :-(.
Have you checked out Lake Lure in western NC? It’s considered one of the most beautiful lakes in America. Dirty Dancing was filmed there. Also, Lake Jocassee in upstate SC near the NC border is stunning.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:11 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castelazo View Post
Accepted? who cares, just live your life, it's not 1950
I'll second this, no one cares what color your skin is! You post like your a nice person, you will fit in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama