Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2024, 11:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,940 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking at a possible move to Akron Ohio with a recent interview I have add, currently I'm in upstate New York in the capital district of Schenectady. Now admittedly I haven't ever been to Ohio or even Akron for that matter, from what I had seen so far, the cost of living in general is cheaper from where I currently am, and the housing market doesn't look outrageously priced for the neighborhoods I've looked at. One of the things I am curious about is what is it like living out in Akron or even Ohio (please forgive me if that sounds silly), I guess what I'm asking is Ohio slower pace of life? what's the general over all feel of people out there like, and things to do? I am into fishing, golfing, photography, camping/hiking which I don't think will be hard to find or do at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 03:58 PM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
[quote=freddyj88;66405564]So I'm looking at a possible move to Akron Ohio with a recent interview I have add, currently I'm in upstate New York in the capital district of Schenectady. Now admittedly I haven't ever been to Ohio or even Akron for that matter, from what I had seen so far, the cost of living in general is cheaper from where I currently am, and the housing market doesn't look outrageously priced for the neighborhoods I've looked at. One of the things I am curious about is what is it like living out in Akron or even Ohio (please forgive me if that sounds silly), I guess what I'm asking is Ohio slower pace of life? what's the general over all feel of people out there like, and things to do? I am into fishing, golfing, photography, camping/hiking which I don't think will be hard to find or do at all.[/QUOT

I don’t have much information for you at all. But since no one has answered your question yet I’ll comment a bit on it. I live on the lake, Lake Erie in Ohio. I do have relatives that I see mostly in Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, and Hudson Ohio; all suburbs of Akron, and they are beautiful places to live. When these members of my family were just starting out on their own, they did live in Akron, but I don’t remember much about that city, so sorry about that. I have a feeling the crime there is much worse than in the suburbs though. A quick Google search will tell you that. Akron is about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes from me.

Fishing is very popular in Ohio, as is golfing, camping and hiking. I don’t know much about photography so can’t help you there. There are 20 Metro Parks in Ohio. Summit Metro Parks are headquartered in Akron. It consists of 14,000 acres, with 16 parks, conservation areas, and over 125 miles of trails. Try You-Tube for more information. Hope this helped a little bit. Hopefully by bumping this thread up, someone more knowledgeable about Akron will stop by and post something.

Old 02-10-2024, 07:57 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
It's been some years since I lived in Akron, but still have relatives there. They are mostly in the nice suburbs on the northeast of Akron (Stow, Monroe Falls, Tallmadge) Weather should be about same as NY, with little or no "lake effect" snow or Nor'Easters.

Akron is/was a major industrial city being the home of the rubber tire industry. As said, lots of parks, etc especially along the old Ohio Canal north of town. I had a favorite snow sledding park on the east side.

Many public schools in the area have been upgraded from old obsolete 3 story monsters to new one floor modern facilities.

This Wikipedia page may have some useful info for you :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron_metropolitan_area

Also City-Data's own page on Akron
https://www.city-data.com/city/Akron-Ohio.html

Good hunting, and let us know what you find

Old 02-11-2024, 06:02 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We raised our family in Stow and it is good family area, with good schools. In Akron proper, west Akron/Fairlawn area is the nicest.

It kind of depends where you will be working and how much of a commute you want. Also your price range.

I don't think you will find the pace of NE Ohio any different from upstate New York.

Last edited by gentlearts; 02-11-2024 at 06:12 AM..

Old 02-12-2024, 08:11 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Pace of life would be pretty similar to upstate NY

Akron weather will be fairly comparable...The Akron area is in the secondary snow belt of Lake Erie...which means when the winds do come out of the NW or N, the bands of Lake Effect can get as far south as the Akron area...so, it does get a decent amount of snow but not as much as Cleveland and definitely not like the primary snow belt to the east and northeast of Cleveland. Summer is going to be fairly warm but is very rarely oppressive...

Cost of living across Ohio is going to be lower then NY, even upstate NY...The Akron-Canton MSA is probably one of the lowest cost of living metro areas in the country.

Plenty of great golf courses in NE Ohio, both public and private. Akron has the Summit Metroparks and of course between Akron and Cleveland sits the Cuyahoga Valley National Park...and the Cleveland Metroparks aren't far either...same w/ the Lake Metroparks, and the Geauga Metroparks. Numerous fishing opportunities in the Portage Lakes, along the lower part oft the Cuyahoga River, and plenty of other small lakes and creeks in the area.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,940 times
Thank you everyone for the reply's is very much appreciated, I did find a lot of houses I saved on the Trulia site for the future, from what I'm reading and doing more research it doesn't look bad at all out there, jut have to get through and hired at the VA clinic in what I want to say is south Akron on waterloo road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton