Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 02:48 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I agree!

Watch iRobot...lol

AI has the potential to be amazingly good or disastrously bad. Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure which.

https://youtu.be/RvRZogigTtQ

It will never happen. Nothing from the media comes true. It is simply entertainment.

https://youtu.be/G782NOMU8Yc

Um, ok, I take it back.

https://youtu.be/-tb5OoNu1-4

Oh nooooo....

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-03-2023 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 03:44 PM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
The only existential AI threat for the preppers is when the preppers are relying on the information the AI sourced and presented to you…

It is amazing to see the variety of absolutely incorrect and often quite dangerous information on the internet.

As a simplest example.

Recipe for pickles, anyone? Botulism, here we come!

In spite of the illusion of the enormous amount of information allegedly available - the real knowledge is disappearing extremely fast and becomes very scarce and unavailable to the masses hidden in the last pages of your search engine if even there at all…
Book lives matter

Old 05-03-2023, 10:44 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The only real hope is that it develops its own moral code that is both sane and compassionate.
AI learns what it is trained to learn. We can teach AI to be empathetic. There is no insurmountable technical barrier to that.

I don't think AI is a threat because it would require different resources than us. We need organic matter for energy, AI could use nuclear energy and then we wouldn't compete. AI also needs cooling of the computers hosting it. That's why I think Antarctica will be home base for future AI - free cooling and no competition with humans.

Old 05-04-2023, 06:05 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
AI learns what it is trained to learn. We can teach AI to be empathetic. There is no insurmountable technical barrier to that.
Who is going to teach it? Humans are not the best examples of being empathetic.

The flick 2010 when Chandra explained what happened to HAL is probably a good example of that baliwick.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Who is going to teach it? Humans are not the best examples of being empathetic.

The flick 2010 when Chandra explained what happened to HAL is probably a good example of that baliwick.
No one needs to 'teach' AI, since it will have complete and unfettered access to everything humans ever learned. Every piece of information, every emotion captured in music, every feeling in poetry, everything ever written about relationships and psychology... everything.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:51 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No one needs to 'teach' AI, since it will have complete and unfettered access to everything humans ever learned. Every piece of information, every emotion captured in music, every feeling in poetry, everything ever written about relationships and psychology... everything.
Well, if it goes the way our current music goes......we are in trouble. So much Hate in our literature.

Like what Tom Smothers said, [11/28/02, interview in Chicago Tribune] I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything . . . There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country . . . It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar. It not only affects comedy, it affects film. It affects literature. It's pervasive on radio. There's that guy Howard Stern and all that smart ass, vulgar, sexual pretending like they're expanding freedom of speech. They ought to put an amendment to the First Amendment that says there shall also be freedom of hearing.(from imdb)

Old 05-04-2023, 10:06 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If the computer gets too aggressive, you always have the option of pulling the plug. That AI needs a power source or it doesn't function.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:25 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Well, if it goes the way our current music goes......we are in trouble. So much Hate in our literature.

Like what Tom Smothers said, [11/28/02, interview in Chicago Tribune] I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything . . . There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country . . . It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar. It not only affects comedy, it affects film. It affects literature. It's pervasive on radio. There's that guy Howard Stern and all that smart ass, vulgar, sexual pretending like they're expanding freedom of speech. They ought to put an amendment to the First Amendment that says there shall also be freedom of hearing.(from imdb)
Some things just simply don't change:

Genesis 6:21 (NKJV)
Quote:
Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth;
Jeremiah 17:9 (NKJV)
Quote:
“The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
Matthew 15:18-19 (NKJV)
Quote:
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.
And, last but not least:
Romans 1:22 (NKJV)
Quote:
Professing to be wise, they became fools,

Old 05-04-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Brushing off AI is really not understanding how AI functions. All music is not bad, nor is all literature...so you're missing the point... completely.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the computer gets too aggressive, you always have the option of pulling the plug. That AI needs a power source or it doesn't function.
You would have to turn it ALL off... and keep it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI