Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2023, 04:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

No questions to ask....but if you want me to comment on anything while there...post away.

Basic plans are Nairobi and coastline near Mombasa. Looking to see some big animals somewhere around Nairobi as well...but mostly, just want to check out the cities and the country itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 11:55 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
No questions to ask....but if you want me to comment on anything while there...post away.

Basic plans are Nairobi and coastline near Mombasa. Looking to see some big animals somewhere around Nairobi as well...but mostly, just want to check out the cities and the country itself.
I did that last year DEC 22. The week in Mombasa (actually Diani Beach) was one of the best weeks of my life. Spent almost week in Nairobi as well and enjoyed it also.

I did do a Safari in Maasai Mara and spent almost a week in Nakuru.

You should easily see plenty of animals in Nairobi mostly at the National Park. How are you traveling from Nairobi to Mombasa? If it's the SGR you'll pass through plenty of parkland, so much to see passing by.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:58 AM

While there... please let me/us know the vibe of the political culture when you're there. Please ask the locals too. Seems the current President is running the country into the ground.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I did that last year DEC 22. The week in Mombasa (actually Diani Beach) was one of the best weeks of my life. Spent almost week in Nairobi as well and enjoyed it also.

I did do a Safari in Maasai Mara and spent almost a week in Nakuru.

You should easily see plenty of animals in Nairobi mostly at the National Park. How are you traveling from Nairobi to Mombasa? If it's the SGR you'll pass through plenty of parkland, so much to see passing by.
I also went to Diani Beach and Mombasa! I wasn't planning to go that direction, but people in Nairobi were directing me that way; and it was 'the holidays', and that was the place to go. Sadly, I missed out on a safari.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
While there... please let me/us know the vibe of the political culture when you're there. Please ask the locals too. Seems the current President is running the country into the ground.
Kenyan people were SUPER COOL, by the way. JUST super cool.

Regarding political culture. Yeah, very regularly the Uber drivers were telling me that. The common consensus was everything cost too much in Kenya; and they told me their leader was arrogant and didn't listen. So yeah, politically, people were verbally NOT happy at all with what is going on in Kenya.

I also was regularly told to avoid the CBG - the city urban district. I spent most of time in Westlands, which did have a great vibe. Very leafy and pleasant. So much green landscape in those northern suburbs just outside of downtown. Tons of security. Never felt under any threat whatsoever. People were again, just super friendly, conversational, non-intrusive, and just great people all the way around.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:11 AM

Westlands of Nairobi is a very nice area. I feel quite safe there and it is a beautiful area. That it where I stayed when in Nairobi.

I'm getting close to retirement and want to spend at the minimum half the year in Kenya. We have land in Nakuru and also some outside of Nairobi, south west of the city. We want to first build in Nakuru and also rent an apartment is Westlands. However we're feeling it won't begin while the current President is in office, it's going to be more expensive than what it should be. A year ago we were ready to spring into action and get things moving.

One doesn't need to go on Safari to see the animals in Kenya. Hope you got to see some of them, at the least in one of the Parks. I'm guessing you met up with some Monkeys in Diani. There were plenty of them at the resort where we stayed.

Thanks TB for the check-in.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Westlands of Nairobi is a very nice area. I feel quite safe there and it is a beautiful area. That it where I stayed when in Nairobi.

I'm getting close to retirement and want to spend at the minimum half the year in Kenya. We have land in Nakuru and also some outside of Nairobi, south west of the city. We want to first build in Nakuru and also rent an apartment is Westlands. However we're feeling it won't begin while the current President is in office, it's going to be more expensive than what it should be. A year ago we were ready to spring into action and get things moving.

One doesn't need to go on Safari to see the animals in Kenya. Hope you got to see some of them, at the least in one of the Parks. I'm guessing you met up with some Monkeys in Diani. There were plenty of them at the resort where we stayed.

Thanks TB for the check-in.
Nice plans!

I definitely 100% saw plenty of monkeys in Diani! I also saw some other minor parks with giraffes and other animals. I did go to Kruger Nat'l Park in South Africa in the past, but I do wish I had went to a larger one in Kenya as well, but it it expensive.

Nice plans with Nakuru and Westlands!

Old 12-27-2023, 10:43 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also went to Diani Beach and Mombasa! I wasn't planning to go that direction, but people in Nairobi were directing me that way; and it was 'the holidays', and that was the place to go. Sadly, I missed out on a safari.
Going to Kenya and not doing a real Safari is like going to the beach and staying in the car

You missed the most beautiful and amazing display of animals in the wild.

Cities are everywhere. Lions are not

Old 12-31-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Going to Kenya and not doing a real Safari is like going to the beach and staying in the car

You missed the most beautiful and amazing display of animals in the wild.

Cities are everywhere. Lions are not
It's not my first and only time to Africa. But yeah, if someone goes just once in their life, yeah, they should 100% prioritize that, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa