Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 08:13 PM

2,682 posts, read 1,275,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
it might be too chaotic and gritty.
Crossing the street downtown/Tharir Square during rush hour is quite the experience lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 08:24 AM

8,279 posts, read 13,454,891 times
I visited Cairo as an extended layover right before COVID hit. I had some issues with immigration that were my own fault, we had to get the USA Embassy involved to get our passports back.. But ironically, they let us take a picture of them and our visa (which we obtained on arrival) and move freely throughout the Country which, I am not complaining was bizarre. We stayed in a hotel in Zamalek which is an island in the middle of the Nile. Cairo is a very busy and old city...Zamalek was quieter and more walkable. Lots of markets shops and restaurants if you like brass, pottery, etc.. There is plenty. At the time the economy was in the toilet and tourism was way down so the dollar was strong. Did have a chance to visit the Pyramids which was an interesting experience in its own right.. especially in the areas right outside the gates where hawkers are looking to mob tourist.

Also, we flew over on Egyptian Airways.. Wont ever do that again.. All kinds of mechanical issues and delays. But overall a pleasant experience passport issue not withstanding...as they gave them back.. but only when we were leaving which the Embassy told us was not uncommon.

I would go back at some point and likely want to go over to Alexandria or Sharm El Sheikh..do more sightseeing and go to a few of the museums

Other observations

People were generally friendly but in a matter of fact sort of way. So even when they are delivering bad news like they will generally end with "you are welcome to egypt"

Cost was very reasonable at the time. New Cairo out by the airport reminds me of Vegas in terms of being a new city in the desert so, if you want more modern city feel you would want to stay out there instead of the city center.

Crossing the street is an art form.. You just literally step out and walk at a deliberate pace and in straight line ....that will allow the drivers to time their maneuvers around you.. LOL

Old 08-20-2023, 12:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,305,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Does Cairo meet/exceed your expectations or your time/money could better be spent elsewhere?
Thank you!
Once was enough for me. No regrets on going once! Amazing to see once.

A second time? Nah. There's always other places to go....and as nice was Egypt was to see once, it's not the place for me to go again and again. Not unless you have some real strong pull to Egyptian something or another beyond tourist sites.

Granted there are probably more than enough tourist stuff to do again and again, but that can be said for every country in the world.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:45 PM

5,192 posts, read 5,029,213 times
We have an Egypt trip coming up November.
Should we go or should we stay away?? Big question….
Not sure if the war is escalating or settling in two weeks…
Egypt is way too close within misfired rocket bombs from all sides.
What would you do?

Old 10-20-2023, 12:56 AM

30,745 posts, read 18,423,627 times
Quote:
We have an Egypt trip coming up November.
Should we go or should we stay away?? Big question….
Not sure if the war is escalating or settling in two weeks…
Egypt is way too close within misfired rocket bombs from all sides.
What would you do?
I'd stay away. The anti-American/anti-Israeli sentiment is too high in that part of the world right now. I'm curious to know if you're able to cancel with a refund due to everything that's going on over there.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd stay away. The anti-American/anti-Israeli sentiment is too high in that part of the world right now. I'm curious to know if you're able to cancel with a refund due to everything that's going on over there.
Trip is non-refundable. But my safety is priceless so I will watch it closely to make a final decision. It is not fun to swim in the Red Sea while the US warship is cruising nearby.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:54 AM

30,745 posts, read 18,423,627 times
Quote:
Trip is non-refundable. But my safety is priceless so I will watch it closely to make a final decision. It is not fun to swim in the Red Sea while the US warship is cruising nearby.
It'll be a shame if you have to cancel, but like you wrote safety is paramount. A friend and his family got to visit Egypt two months ago and they loved it. I've always wanted to go, but I'd be very skeptical about going now. Israel looks intent on launching a ground invasion of Gaza sometime soon, so things look like they'll only escalate. Since the trip is nonrefundable, though, I'd continue to watch things as you are doing.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,021,740 times
Only been to Cairo once. Not a city I would return to. Simply did not find much charm about it.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:35 PM

Went to Cairo and Luxor. Both are amazing! Loved the bus ride through the desert from Hurghada to Luxor and then along the Nile during the sunset. Besides its richness in culture and history, Cairo is chaotic with clear poverty-stricken areas throughout, but you find oasis here and there to escape for a change while enjoying/appreciating the contrast between modern and third world living. People are much nicer than expected.

Old Today, 08:10 PM

180 posts, read 274,091 times
I do long to go back, absolutely. I'm glad you went, leoliu. So many times, safety concerns are overstated and people ignorantly project or assume things that are either not happening or not likely to happen.

Cairo has so much to experience, and I find most people there friendly and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa