Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, of course it is my European perspective (although of course it varies within Europe as well). However, that does not mean it is wrong, quite to the contrary, Europe came up with a lot of good things, not just bad ones - and Africa came up with a lot of bad things, not just good ones. Nor is it just a European perspective, in most of Asia it would probably also be considered vulgar.

Frankly, if you think that dancing in a sexually provocative way in public is what should be considered normal and that everyone that does not support/like it is repressed etc., then I find your view rather odd to put it mildly.

And I have still not heard from Africans themselves if it is even considered normal in Africa. Maybe it is not as normal there, either, as you as a non-African seem to think it is...
Well, if you can recognize that there is variation within Europe, how hard is it to understand that significant variation likely exists in Africa as well? Especially considering that Africa has so many deeply religious individuals professing Christianity, Islam etc. It's likely that many would find aspects of European & Asian societies to be vulgar as well...

Things such as this, for example...

Hilarious risqué German commercial - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Nobody said it was hard to understand that there is variation between African regions and cultures. Obviously I am wondering about those regions where from a distance one might get the impression they dance like that. But maybe it is not normal there, either, who knows. That is why I am asking, hoping to get answers from real Africans, after all this is the Africa forum.

Of course the West is vulgar as well, especially the US. And I dislike it in the West as well. I dislike and avoid people who offend my sense of decency - no matter where in the world.

I didn't watch your video as I am pretty anti-German these days. Modern Germans have shown a striking lack of taste for decades now, not least because Germans are often trying to copy Americans. So whatever your video is about, I would not be surprised at all.

Luckily, I don't live in Germany anymore, but in Portugal, beer commercials are the least decent ones there are on TV. And even there the only thing you see is women wearing bikinis on the beach, which of course might offend conservative Muslims, but luckily there hardly are any Muslims in Portugal.

As far as public decency, the most decent place I have been to was certainly Kuwait, obviously because it is a very conservative Muslim country. Interestingly, belly dancing, which of course predates Islam, can still be found in Muslim countries.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Ok, well perhaps your original post should have been more specific. It simply asked about Africa generally, and it should be clear that such dancing would not be acceptable throughout the entire continent. But anyway, I do suggest a forum where there are more Africans. This forum is more real American than anything else...

Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
That commercial is pretty damn tasteless, but its no wonder, people all seem to have their minds in the gutter these days, like they have all just reached adolescence and find sexual innuendo so cute and funny. I wouldn't call this one creative or witty.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
That commercial is pretty damn tasteless, but its no wonder, people all seem to have their minds in the gutter these days, like they have all just reached adolescence and find sexual innuendo so cute and funny. I wouldn't call this one creative or witty.
Completely agree.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Advertising agencies produce those for laughs, to show at their annual office Christmas Party. None of them have ever been put on the air, and the supposed "clients" never even know about them. Not about Africa, but here's my all-time favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnL-7x4n4d8

Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
South Africa has some of the best ads that push the envelope a bit, but entertaining none the less.

Nando's Missing Chips Comercial - YouTube

Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 AM

63 posts, read 90,725 times
Truly speaking as per your first posting Neuling, in some traditions in Africa dressing with some part of the body- belly, thigh, back- expose is normal. In such tradition their young ladies would just wrap small pieces of fabric around the breast to the back and wear a mini skirt,however they don't call it skirt. They don't see anything vulgarity in that.
Also, dancing with hip gyrating is also normal to some tribes, though it may not be as weird as in the video you posted, it is like that in my tribe, dressing wise you cannot see a woman dancing in a public dressed like those in the video. Remember those in the video are professional dancer they are only trying to do what they are told to do for money, those girls may not even be able to go around in their street dressing like that.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Thanks for the info.
Yes, from what I have heard many places in Africa are still very conservative...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 PM

26 posts, read 39,219 times

"Under African Skies" and "Nomathemba" - Paul Simon, Graceland, The African Concert - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa