Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 08:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I agree, which as I said is one of the reasons my wife and I adopted from overseas. We've told our kids that if they want to explore their roots, we'll help in whatever way we can. They've both said that if they do choose to search (they haven't decided if they want to or not), they'd like us to go to Korea with them (for moral support if nothing else), and we've said we'd be happy to do so. But until they're adults, we're not doing any searching. They have one set of parents (i.e. us); they don't need any potential pot-stirrers trying (either consciously or not) to undermine our parental role while they are still minors under our care.

We've also warned them to be prepared for the possibility that their birth parents might not want to have any contact with them. Real life isn't always like a Hallmark movie.
There are more scenarios where things can go badly wrong than where they are dreamlike. First of all the birth parents may incredibly dysfunctional, maybe addicts or criminals. They are certainly unlikely to be role models. The adoptee may be quite disillusioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It's not all about the adoptive parent. It's about an adopted human being wanting to know who they are and where they came from. Their rights, if they wish to know, should never be arbitrarily abrogated.

And let's not pretend that abortion rights have anything to do with this.
What if the child was taken away by force or dubious means? The adoptee may wind up with his life being torn apart. Why is there such a movement to stir the pot and disrupt systems that work? Do the engineers of a perfect society really need to rip everything to pieces? They’ve already done quite a number on adolescents with gender.

Do societal experiments really need to rip everything asunder? I say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 11:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What if ...
You can what if until the cows come home.
Quote:
I say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
But so many (most?) directly affected DO say the system is broken.
And that's the resistance you're getting to your close-minded preferences.

btw ... are you on the OTHER side of such a discovery?
You seem more than just casually opposed to truth and open communication.

Old 08-16-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
btw ... are you on the OTHER side of such a discovery?
You seem more than just casually opposed to truth and open communication.
Given that I had my mother's exact shade of red until it went brown, no. I am opposed to "reforms" that disrupt rather than improve, that's all.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Given that I had my mother's exact shade of red ...
No little jgb's out there somewhere? You sure?

I have to admit that just before I spit in the tube I thought for a few minutes about the 1970's
and what I had been getting into back then.
Quote:
I am opposed to "reforms" that disrupt rather than improve...
Not quite: You are opposed to reforms that you believe disrupt rather than improve...
But as someone with no skin in the game on the topic (the key point in all of this)...
your preferences, your views, will count the least. That's all.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
No little jgb's out there somewhere? You sure?
Yes, even though I tell people I had up to twenty of those. My older son has my mother's red hair.

Quote:
I have to admit that just before I spit in the tube I thought for a few minutes about the 1970's
and what I had been getting into back then.
Not quite: You are opposed to reforms that you believe disrupt rather than improve...
But as someone with no skin in the game on the topic (the key point in all of this)...
your preferences, your views, will count the least. That's all.
If you look across my posts on CD I am always in favor of thought before action. As you learn in Junior Life Saving, a panicky swimmer is a much harder rescue than others.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
If you look across my posts on CD I am always in favor of thought before action.
Good for you. I look both ways before crossing the road too.
As to the topic question ... leave it to the people actually affected.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I think intelligent, involved people have a right and almost a duty to be involved in questions of societal concern.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:01 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Absolutely correct. Be an adopted person before making a judgement about what they should never be able to do.

It's a mental health issue.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:05 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Absolutely correct. Be an adopted person before making a judgement about what they should never be able to do.

It's a mental health issue.
I'm not an adoptee...I'm a bio mom who gave a child up for adoption. I'm wondering...do you get any kind of closure from DNA testing? Any sense of who you are? I'm not supposing one way or another. Just wondering.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:24 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
I'm a strong believer in people having autonomy. I believe that even children should have autonomy in an age appropriate and developmentally appropriate way.

If an adopted child wants to know their origins, I think it should be explained to them in an age appropriate way. If the parents don't know how to go about doing it, they should seek professional help to guide them. If it is information that they want to have, it should be right of the adoptee to have it at or before they reach adulthood.

Quote:
Even in the best of circumstances, it is certainly not a first choice for any concerned.
This statement is incredibly insensitive.

Just imagine you're an adopted child - who had no choice - reading that statement. I was not my parents' first choice. They settled for me.

Quote:
I say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Since you don't have experience as an adopter nor an adoptee, how do you know the system isn't broken? How do you know reform is not needed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption