Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joef279 View Post
We're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth.

It still BS that NYC does not allow online ordering for OBCs. You can only order by regular mail. That means 12-16 week processing, assuming they don't claim it can't be found. NYS allows online ordering, but NYC is still stuck in the 19th century?

The form must also be notarized. I know plenty of notaries - banks I deal with, neighbors, etc. I don't like the idea of sharing this information with any of those people.

NYC is making this more difficult than it needs to be.
Read my reply over yours. They will be doing online orders once they get set up. It's all in my reply.

Of course they want your signature notarized if ordering by mail because anyone can say they're the adoptee. This is to protect the adoptee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 AM

82 posts, read 78,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Read my reply over yours. They will be doing online orders once they get set up. It's all in my reply.
Understood. I still think there is no excuse for not having it set up already. NYS had no problem getting online. NYC is just dragging their heels.

Quote:
Of course they want your signature notarized if ordering by mail because anyone can say they're the adoptee. This is to protect the adoptee
I understand why a notary is used (even though that can be fooled). Of course, it is arguably easier to claim you are someone else when doing something online . Is there something in the online request that is at least as secure as a notary (third party verification of identity)? Regardless, regular mail is an additional and unnecessary inconvenience.

It’s good that we finally have this. Just disappointed that they have to make it more difficult than it needs to be. That’s assuming they don’t take the easy way out and claim they can’t find your records. (Been there, done that, and know others it has happened to.)

On the plus side, at $15 it is less expensive than NYS.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:06 AM

NY State birth certificates - New York State Department of Health - Fees - $45 (per copy)

NY State Department of Health - Obtaining Original (Pre-Adoption) Birth Certificate for Adoptees

Pre-Adoption Birth Certificates can be ordered online - Order Online Or by calling 877-456-7747

Original or Pre-Adoption Birth Certificate Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)

Requirements -

Who is eligible to get a copy of a pre-adoption birth certificate?

An adoptee who is 18 years of age or older
Direct Line Descendants - A Direct Line Descendant is a child, grandchild, or great grandchild, etc. of the adoptee
A lawful representative of the adopted person
A lawful representative of a deceased adopted person’s Direct Line Descendant

What identification needs to be submitted by the applicant?

Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:

A One of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
Driver's license
State-issued, nondriver photo-ID card
Passport
U.S. Military-issued, photo-ID

OR

B Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
Utility or telephone bill
Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months

Please submit a copy of your U.S. passport in addition to the above ID if you are applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel.
If anyone still has questions, I'd say to check out the New York Adoptee Rights Coalition website or check out the New York Adoptee Rights Coalition Facebook. There are also many NY adoption Facebook groups and adoptee Facebook groups for many states and some for different agencies and also Facebook groups for birth parents

I understand why a notary is used (even though that can be fooled). Of course, it is arguably easier to claim you are someone else when doing something online . Is there something in the online request that is at least as secure as a notary (third party verification of identity)? Regardless, regular mail is an additional and unnecessary inconvenience.

It’s good that we finally have this. Just disappointed that they have to make it more difficult than it needs to be. That’s assuming they don’t take the easy way out and claim they can’t find your records. (Been there, done that, and know others it has happened to.)

On the plus side, at $15 it is less expensive than NYS.
I didn't realize NY state was online.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
I have ordered death certificates through VitalChek (the NYS online system) and found it neither easy nor straightforward. I prefer the low-tech option and have already mailed my OBC request in to NYC (despite my earlier post saying I would wait). It was easy for me.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I didn't realize NY state was online.
Yes, that was the first thing I noticed.

Having the NYC form notarized wasn't the biggest thing - just (IMO) an unnecessary inconvenience. Note that the NYS form is virtually identical to the NYC form, but no notary is required on the mailed-in application. If the online process is truly online, no notary is needed there either.

My past experience with NYC has jaded me. I'm not sure if NYC wants the notary to make it more difficult, or if they are just stuck in the 19th century. I suspect both to be the case.

I mailed my form today. The race is on to see which comes first... my OBC or my first social security check.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roselvr again."

Old 02-01-2020, 08:59 AM

Two weeks since I sent in my check to NYC, still not deposited. No question they're slammed with applications!

Old 02-01-2020, 09:29 AM

254 posts, read 340,821 times
Sent my application in yesterday. Figured there was no rush as I waited this long and thought there would be a surge of applicants anyway.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:26 PM

It will be four weeks for me on Friday, and my check hasn't been deposited either. Government agencies don't usually start the clock at least until the info is entered/check is cashed. That means my 12-16 week wait hasn't started yet. This is one of those things where you need to sit back, relax, and think long term (months). It took Gov. Fredo a few months just to sign the bill.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:32 PM

Today marks three months since I applied to NYC, check still not cashed. Not surprised since there's probably nobody at work to process these requests. Non-essential.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Today marks three months since I applied to NYC, check still not cashed. Not surprised since there's probably nobody at work to process these requests. Non-essential.
That sucks. I can't imagine how long you and others will have to wait due to this virus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption