Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 08:43 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,639,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
In fairness, income and prestige aren't exactly the same thing. It's certainly true that gov jobs don't pay elite salaries. The very highest of gov jobs pay less than 1st year associates, investment bankers, or even mid tier accounts or middle managers at F500 companies. But there are some gov jobs that are prestigious. And DC is a government town. So the most prestigious jobs will be high level fed positions. Frankly the most impressive people tend to cycle through DC and then go somewhere else and do something else. Being a former hill staffer that hangs around town to be a glorified middleman at a law firm or trade association isn't terrible impressive in the grand scheme of things. I would rather be the econ advisor who spend a few years in a WH job that then moves to NY starts a multibillion dollar investment fund or media venture. Or a Nat Sec hand who moves to Austin or Silicon Valley to start up a tech company.
Just my opinion, but unless you're high up in the government ranks, I don't look at government jobs as being prestigious. I think a lot of people in government jobs are very full of themselves and feel as if they're important. When I first moved here years ago someone had the tenacity to tell me they're a GS-14 when I had their car towed off a private parking lot. I didn't even know what she was talking about. To throw your pay grade (not much of one) in my face because I had you towed from a private lot was hysterical. Also, to feel entitled to park in a private lot with signage all over the place letting people know they will be towed said enough about this person too. I find the same types on the Hill. They tell you where they went to school and how important their job is working for some no name politician who doesn't even know them and they're making mid 5 figures, if that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 06:20 AM

22 posts, read 66,320 times
The responses to this thread were great. I did accept the job and the pay cut that came with it. I couldn't be happier. The work life balance ALONE made it worth the move. I'm a GS-14, step 3 right now. Currently, a GS-14, step 10 makes $181,216 in the DMV. That's not exceptional, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about either. I feel fortunate to have this gig, and prestige no longer matters to me. I'm not a Partner at a BigLaw Firm, but I am content. That, alone, offers me the prestige I need.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:20 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,081,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Andre Betancourt View Post
I'm a GS-14, step 3 right now. Currently, a GS-14, step 10 makes $181,216 in the DMV.
Not slamming you personally OP, but this reads creepily dystopian to my civilian eyes. Like, "I'm THX-1138, what unit are you from?", or the different 'levels' of privilege certain people get in futuristic scenarios like this depending on their amount of unblemished compliance.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:33 AM

6,751 posts, read 6,764,263 times
I feel so much mediocrity just reading this thread, maybe that's why I left DC. People playing it safe and focusing more on job security than actually accomplishing anything.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:05 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Not slamming you personally OP, but this reads creepily dystopian to my civilian eyes. Like, "I'm THX-1138, what unit are you from?", or the different 'levels' of privilege certain people get in futuristic scenarios like this depending on their amount of unblemished compliance.
Geesh, we're so addicted to misery these days that this is the takeaway???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I feel so much mediocrity just reading this thread, maybe that's why I left DC. People playing it safe and focusing more on job security than actually accomplishing anything.
Since when is "playing it safe" the antithesis of professional accomplishment? And I'd say the safe route is the best route when you work for American taxpayers. Be a maverick on someone's corporate dime.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:50 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,081,538 times
Quote:
I would think that applies everywhere, and particularly with government jobs. We see posts about such scenarios right here on CD, where people spent decades bored out of their minds putting up with "job security" in order to reap some benefits 40 years down the road. It's not for everybody.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
The exist opportunities/resume building aspects are certainly there. But, also lots of senior people in gov that like the mission/find the work interesting. Many well paying private sector consulting/law jobs are pretty boring/unrewarding. Being a middle manager at a plastics company probably pays a lot better, but working in the CIA counterintelligence division is almost certainly far more interesting.
con tact m e for an interestin g jo b...

Old 05-08-2024, 01:49 PM

496 posts, read 1,194,167 times
Congrats on your new role, OP. Working for the taxpayer is pretty prestigious IMO.

To the posters who said you have to blaze a trail or make your mark in life, that is cool an all, but has some risks. I heard from someone who worked for Tesla in CA. He just got laid off. He had 2-3 Tesla cars, was a real promoter for Elon and how it was going to change the world, etc. Well, he also had a 3 hr RT commute. Just bought a house in Modesto, i think. Cheaper than the bay area, but it was bigger. Anyway, he has to start over. I don't think there are that many manufacturing manager jobs in Modesto. He's young, so he's got that going for him.

Old Today, 09:15 AM

27,682 posts, read 28,786,696 times
Quote:
Not everybody wants to work in the private sector and get laid off every 2 years.

So, it all boils down to what floats your boat.

There isn't one right answer that applies to everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC