Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will be more desirable in 5 years: NoMa vs Cap Riverfront
Noma 9 31.03%
Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard. 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:58 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times

Advertisements

DC's growth seems to be shifting from it's traditional centers in central NW toward the emerging neighborhoods. Which one do you think has the best long term potential to be a desirable living place.

Capital Riverfront-
pro- waterfront location, currently further ahead in terms of development/amenities.
con- some what removed from the rest of the urban action in NW. Only serviced by the green line, which runs less frequently then the red line.

NoMa-
pro- perhaps a better location being closer to DT and the NW action.
con- not much there currently in way of restaurants/retail. The surounding area seems to have more issues with crime. Although NoMa is close to Penn Quarter, Mt Vernon, H Street, it isn't a great walk at night.

Personally, I'm more bullish on Navy Yard. I can see it being a somewhat removed, but semi-vibrant little pocket with the park/waterfront living. I have a harder time envisioning NoMa. Right now, it just seems a little bland and not in the best area. But, perhaps that will change as people move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:35 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Definitely Navy Yard for me. Has more character than NoMa. Also restaurants are quickly popping up. Bon Chon was an awesome addition and Chopt is coming when that development on the waterfront is finished. The skating rink on M Street is awesome too.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
DC's growth seems to be shifting from it's traditional centers in central NW toward the emerging neighborhoods. Which one do you think has the best long term potential to be a desirable living place.

Capital Riverfront-
pro- waterfront location, currently further ahead in terms of development/amenities.
con- some what removed from the rest of the urban action in NW. Only serviced by the green line, which runs less frequently then the red line.

NoMa-
con- not much there currently in way of restaurants/retail. The surounding area seems to have more issues with crime. Although NoMa is close to Penn Quarter, Mt Vernon, H Street, it isn't a great walk at night.

Personally, I'm more bullish on Navy Yard. I can see it being a somewhat removed, but semi-vibrant little pocket with the park/waterfront living. I have a harder time envisioning NoMa. Right now, it just seems a little bland and not in the best area. But, perhaps that will change as people move in.
NOMA at full buildout and it's really not close. With the decking of Union Station and its redevelopment, the full buildout of Union Market, and the full buildout of Northwest One and Atlas District, this area will be one of the most expensive in the entire region once everything gets built. It will also have the highest population density in the city. I think we may see our first 70,000-80,000 people per square mile census tract in NOMA at full buildout.

Capital Riverfront will also be a very nice neighborhood, however, it won't have the vibrancy of NOMA once everything is built. NOMA is going to be DC's truest downtown neighborhood because of its eventual residential population and office sq. footage. Capital Riverfront will be more of a traditional DC residential neighborhood even though it does have some office. Also, the streets are too wide for an urban feel in Capital Riverfront much like many other neighborhoods in DC.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Also, the streets are too wide for an urban feel in Capital Riverfront much like many other neighborhoods in DC.
The streets are no wider in Navy Yard than the 6 lane N Capitol Street and H street in NOMA.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The streets are no wider in Navy Yard than the 6 lane N Capitol Street and H street in NOMA.

North Capitol St. is the perimeter street of NOMA. H street is the only big street and still has smaller lanes than M St. in Navy Yard. The actual NOMA streets are:

O St.
N St.
M St.
First St.
Patterson St.
Pierce St.
L St.
K St.
I. St.
2nd St.
3rd. St.
G St.
G Pl.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

Capital Riverfront-

NoMa-

I've lived in Navy Yard for 3 years now and I love it. You really can't compare the 2 neighborhoods though. If you prefer living by the water (who doesn't?) then Navy Yard is a no brainer. I'm guessing there is more land in NoMa so I'm sure there will be more restaurants, apartments, condos, etc. 5 years down the road. I like a less vibrant area a little off the beaten path which the Navy Yard still is. However, once the SW Waterfront is built up both Navy Yard and SW Waterfront will be very destination neighborhoods. NW DC is cool and all but I work in Dupont and would not want to live here, Georgetown, or most other NW neighborhoods so saying living close to NW is a huge benefit doesn't make sense in my personal opinion.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
NoMa all day.

It has the location and the infrastructure to be the next hip DC neighborhood.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 AM

What was Navy Yard like before Nats Park was there? Was it similar to today's Watefront? Bunch of industrial sites? I moved here right as they built the stadium.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
NoMa all day.

It has the location and the infrastructure to be the next hip DC neighborhood.
Agreed! The quadruple punch of NOMA/Union Market/Atlas District/H Street will be too much for most neighborhoods in D.C. to match. I think it will even surpass the 14th street/Mid City/U Street area. It will actually be the first true urban downtown D.C. neighborhood similar to downtown neighborhoods in NYC, Philly, San Fran, and Chicago. We currently don't have a downtown neighborhood that matches anything in those cities. The Union Market neighborhood at full build out will be the #1 food destination in the entire region.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Union Station:
https://vimeo.com/75326263
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC