Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should the New HQ open?
NoVa 21 41.18%
PG 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
Perceived advantage of PG? Less of a drive to go arrest the corrupt county "leaders" and about 15 times as many murders to assist in investigating.
That's cute. Maybe the relocation of the FBI could help stay the ever-growing high brow crime incidents that seems to be plaguing NoVa as of late. See what I just did there? Don't get all upset if you'll feel "robbed" of a major government employer because of us "murdering thugs and dark-skinned hoodlums" from across the river....You know, the bad place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
What made you come to that assumption regarding our stance/argument? This is a regional economic competition after all, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that both sides are shouting up and down with the perceived advantages of their touted sites for the FBI relocation.

im talking about the perception of one county vs the other. and they are night and day to each other.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
My guess is that the FBI heads will be pushing for the NoVa site simply because of its proximity to Quantico, where most of the forensics and training for that agency take place.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
My guess is that the FBI heads will be pushing for the NoVa site simply because of its proximity to Quantico, where most of the forensics and training for that agency take place.
For that to be a compelling argument, at least 50% of the 11,000 employees would have to travel back and forth from HQ to Quantico on a weekly basis. I don't see that happening now. Are operations at Quantico more important than at HQ to compel the GSA to chose a site as close to Quantico as possible? Which facility drives the FBI operations? HQ or Quantico? If proximity to Quantico is that important, why not just put the FBI HQ there? Why cause more congestion on an already congested interstate?

In addition, if proximity to Quantico was important to the FBI heads, more specific requirements would have been made including distance requirements to Quantico. Again, a 12-15 mile shift north is not a compelling reason alone to go with NoVa. Especially if the FBI heads don't need to travel to Quantico at all. My guess is that they use helicopters if they are that high up.

If proximity to Quantico was an important factor in the decision, Landover would have been chosen as a finalist instead of Greenbelt. In addition, the southern Green line stations near the Beltway would have been in play.

Is there no compelling argument for the Springfield site without proximity to Quantico?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
For that to be a compelling argument, at least 50% of the 11,000 employees would have to travel back and forth from HQ to Quantico on a weekly basis. I don't see that happening now. Are operations at Quantico more important than at HQ to compel the GSA to chose a site as close to Quantico as possible? Which facility drives the FBI operations? HQ or Quantico? If proximity to Quantico is that important, why not just put the FBI HQ there? Why cause more congestion on an already congested interstate?

In addition, if proximity to Quantico was important to the FBI heads, more specific requirements would have been made including distance requirements to Quantico. Again, a 12-15 mile shift north is not a compelling reason alone to go with NoVa. Especially if the FBI heads don't need to travel to Quantico at all. My guess is that they use helicopters if they are that high up.

If proximity to Quantico was an important factor in the decision, Landover would have been chosen as a finalist instead of Greenbelt. In addition, the southern Green line stations near the Beltway would have been in play.

Is there no compelling argument for the Springfield site without proximity to Quantico?
How about the land is already owned by the federal government. The only argument for PG county is an economic boost. Ask the employees where they would prefer and I highly doubt the answer is PG county.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:26 PM

342 posts, read 510,841 times
I'd go with PG.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaguy82 View Post
How about the land is already owned by the federal government. The only argument for PG county is an economic boost. Ask the employees where they would prefer and I highly doubt the answer is PG county.
Since when did an employee's desires matter? lol You underestimate peoples' willingness to keep their quality of living. Why do people travel from WV, PA, Richmond, and DE to work in DC? The FBI could move to Ocean City and if people NEED their jobs to feed their families, they will travel or move closer.

Whether they want to work in PG or not, if the FBI moves there, they will too. Ask how many MD workers want to drive through the mixing bowl every day. I highly doubt they would choose Springfield. But yes, "MOST" FBI employees live in Springfield right? Or "MOST" of the leadership lives in Springfield. So obviously the FBI will move there.

Quantico is the only argument for Springfield. Government-owned land or not, the site is further away from the metro station to where employees would need shuttles, and the traffic on I-95 is horrid. Even on the weekends. Lastly, there are facilities already in use that would be costly to relocate.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Since when did an employee's desires matter? lol You underestimate peoples' willingness to keep their quality of living. Why do people travel from WV, PA, Richmond, and DE to work in DC? The FBI could move to Ocean City and if people NEED their jobs to feed their families, they will travel or move closer.

Whether they want to work in PG or not, if the FBI moves there, they will too. Ask how many MD workers want to drive through the mixing bowl every day. I highly doubt they would choose Springfield. But yes, "MOST" FBI employees live in Springfield right? Or "MOST" of the leadership lives in Springfield. So obviously the FBI will move there.

Quantico is the only argument for Springfield. Government-owned land or not, the site is further away from the metro station to where employees would need shuttles, and the traffic on I-95 is horrid. Even on the weekends. Lastly, there are facilities already in use that would be costly to relocate.
Solid post. There's even a poster on CD who said that he used to commute Denver all the way to DC for work Hard to believe, but some people are actually willing to go to many measures to bring the bread home. You're definitely correct with not underestimating people's willingness.

I guess being close to the select few instead of the masses is the argument that the Springfield supporters are trying to make lol...

Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
This Friday, my wife and I left the Duke St. exit on 395 south for NC at no later than 11am. It took us 3 hours to get to Fredericksburg, VA. And VA wants to add 11,000 employees and ancillary offices at the I-95/495 interchange? Good luck with that.

About three years ago our trip to NC used to take 4.5 hours on weekends. Now, because of I-95 congestion it takes anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 hours on the weekend unless we leave after 9pm and get there after midnight.

I-95 is the ONLY major east coast artery from NY to Richmond. And VA has built so much along that route that the mixing bowl down past Dumfries has now become one of the major choke points.
Although I think Greenbelt has a leg up on Springfield on this, the example you are using has absolutely no barring on the Springfield site at all. The bottleneck in which you were caught up in, starts in Dumfries where the HOV lanes dump into 95 and from there it backs all the way up 95. This happens on a daily basis.

1) That won't be an issue in the future since the HOT lanes will expand down to Stafford so the bottleneck at that point will at least be further down and may even be lighter if the new lanes are affective.

2) Anyone that is coming from the north wouldn't even have to get on 95 to get to Springfield (all of the MD employees who drive and some VA employees who drive too). The exit for Springfield is on the opposite side of 495 so a back up on 95 would not impact the Springfield exit unless the bottleneck goes all the back past Springfield and that almost never happens, especially in the morning where the traffic is going opposite of that direction.

3) The example you are using would only impact people going south in the evenings. In my opinion anyone with an ounce of common sense coming from the south will use public transportation. They can use commuter buses and/or the VRE, slug, or carpool to get there. There are definitely options to avoid that late afternoon backup.

4) 95 is the main corridor for the entire east coast. During the summer, Friday is the worst time to travel on 95 going south throughout the day. It is better to leave on another day or simply take alternative routes. During the non-summer months, the traffic is much easier to get through. This is a well-known fact and is a frequent question in the NoVA part of this website.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
Perceived advantage of PG? Less of a drive to go arrest the corrupt county "leaders" and about 15 times as many murders to assist in investigating.
Come man, that's pretty ignorant. Greenbelt is a nice area. One of the nicer parts of PG to be honest. It has access to the MARC system and Metro so that alone is going to help it get a lot of consideration. There is also a lot of undeveloped land nearby that would allow the developer to custom build the work site based on the security standards needed.

Let's be honest, that part of Springfield isn't the greatest either. One of the reasons why the original Springfield Mall failed was because of the amount of crime that happened there that scared shoppers away. You also have to consider the reports of a secret underground office already on that site that would have to be uprooted just to accommodate a new building. It's not a slam dunk for Springfield. They are both fairly evenly matched in my opinion. I honestly have no idea who will get picked, I can see it going either way.

I definitely believe the OP is being bias, but I think your comments are pretty ridiculous and don't have a lot of merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: