Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 06:20 AM

4,509 posts, read 2,651,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Some people can't seem to fathom that not everyone wants live in a house. There are people that enjoy apartment/condo living.
Well, yeah, there are also people who enjoy handling venomous snakes, people who enjoy taking ice water baths, and people who enjoy skydiving; but they're a minority.

Quote:
There's a variety but not enough of that variety. That's kinda why housing just keeps getting more expensive. The US has basically outlawed apartments in the vast majority of the country.
And yet every town and city I go through in my travels has apartments galore. From the giant buildings going up all round me everywhere in my home city, to the apartments practically hanging over the Interstate in Nashville (I pass through there often), to the eight-plexes with the broken cars and young men hanging out in open doorways drinking from paper bags in every small town I drive through, apartments are everywhere. Where is this "vast majority of the country" where apartments are outlawed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 07:51 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, yeah, there are also people who enjoy handling venomous snakes, people who enjoy taking ice water baths, and people who enjoy skydiving; but they're a minority.

And yet every town and city I go through in my travels has apartments galore. From the giant buildings going up all round me everywhere in my home city, to the apartments practically hanging over the Interstate in Nashville (I pass through there often), to the eight-plexes with the broken cars and young men hanging out in open doorways drinking from paper bags in every small town I drive through, apartments are everywhere. Where is this "vast majority of the country" where apartments are outlawed?
Besides the city mentioned in the video, where else in North America is it legal to build the apartments described?

Very few, if any of the apartments you describe have more than two bedrooms, because the building code makes it very difficult to do so in a building more than three stories in the US, and two stores in Canada.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:32 AM

1,117 posts, read 606,309 times
I find that the older generation here love their houses... backyard and everything proper to bring up your young family.

It's the younger generation that are more embracing the simple life in condo's. They tend to travel more. Go out more for entertainment and food. So a small apartment with low to zero maintenance is perfect for them. Assuming they don't have more than 1 or 2 children or dogs etc.

Here a lot of the younger folks have no choice but to buy condo's. They are cheaper to purchase. And new ones are springing up on every available corner block. Whereas houses are rarer and new houses are only available on the fringes of the city.

I can't imagine having to get a mortgage for $1,000,000 for a small starter home (house).

Old 12-19-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Besides the city mentioned in the video, where else in North America is it legal to build the apartments described?

Very few, if any of the apartments you describe have more than two bedrooms, because the building code makes it very difficult to do so in a building more than three stories in the US, and two stores in Canada.
Are you talking about a specific TYPE of apartment? Because what I was responding to was the sentence

The US has basically outlawed apartments in the vast majority of the country

which is demonstrably false by passing through any city or town from the largest to very small.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I find that the older generation here love their houses... backyard and everything proper to bring up your young family.

It's the younger generation that are more embracing the simple life in condo's. They tend to travel more. Go out more for entertainment and food. So a small apartment with low to zero maintenance is perfect for them. Assuming they don't have more than 1 or 2 children or dogs etc.

Here a lot of the younger folks have no choice but to buy condo's. They are cheaper to purchase. And new ones are springing up on every available corner block. Whereas houses are rarer and new houses are only available on the fringes of the city.

I can't imagine having to get a mortgage for $1,000,000 for a small starter home (house).
You're conflating preference with feasibility and availability.

If all that "younger generation that are... embracing the simple life in condos" could magically be financially able to buy free standing houses, how many do you think would do it? A lot. There are reasons why people in their 20s tend to live in apartments and then move to houses in their 30s and 40s: their finances expand to permit it; they tire of apartment living with all it entails (noise, deferred maintenance, privacy, etc.); they start families and tire of the hassle of living in a flat with kids; and other factors.

Just because people who're constrained to a particular living arrangement make the best of it, make lots of use of the positive things it has and work out how to deal with its negatives, doesn't mean it would be their free preference.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:27 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Some people can't seem to fathom that not everyone wants live in a house. There are people that enjoy apartment/condo living.

There's a variety but not enough of that variety. That's kinda why housing just keeps getting more expensive. The US has basically outlawed apartments in the vast majority of the country.
This is simply not true.

A condominium is a legal form of ownership, not a built form. Both attached and detached condominiums proliferate. Apartments (typically identified with common ownership of multiple attached multifamily housing units) likewise proliferate.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 12-19-2023 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-19-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
"the apartments described" is hardly a defense to the absurd extrapolated extreme that "The US has basically outlawed apartments in the vast majority of the country" as alleged by the earlier poster.

Quote:
How does that equate to "outlawing apartments in the vast majority of the country"

It seems your complaint has been reduced to "As a result of fire safety building codes, I can't build 4+ story multi-family residential housing without at least two stairwells". This does not translate to "outlawing apartments in the vast majority of the country". So build a 3 story apartment complex without two stairwells or a taller complex with at least two stairwells for tenant safety.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:14 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Apartments are not allowed in most urban areas of the US. Most areas only allow houses.

This isn't debatable.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Apartments are not allowed in most urban areas of the US. Most areas only allow houses.

This isn't debatable.
This is simply NOT TRUE.

I live in a large sprawling Southern city, ringed by suburbs. Everywhere I look I see apartments - older large complexes (I live about two miles from one of the largest "super-complexes" - a mile on a side - full of apartments that's been there since the early 70s); old duplexes, new duplexes, new mid rise buildings, new high rise buildings, apartments freaking everywhere. Most of the suburbs have also established areas full of apartments. Yes, of course, specific subdivisions are zoned single family only, but in general you're rarely more than a mile from some apartments.

I challenge you to select any American city over 100,000, search for "apartments for rent" and show us the city that doesn't have any listings.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

This isn't debatable.

Well there is no point in debating it because it simply is not true.
Again however there seems to be backpedaling by re-defining what the poster said.
Apartments ARE allowed in cities, urban areas, and unincorporated areas urban or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning