Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 01:56 PM

62 posts, read 19,166 times

Advertisements

Well, let's get this if Americans demonize our own cities by extreme views that give them no good left. I mean if a European at least claims we have good in our cities... why the heck are some acting like American cities are nothing but crime-ridden helll holes with sadly such anti-biases.

So I will post some positive thoughts though could be a negative if we see this is America's only future in housing not multi-residential alone. I do not see it as only. I do see the days of very large McMansions might be slowing to a more modest size we did in previous eras.

How about the opposite of a McMansion. The resurgence though not enough to be some new replacement. It is merely an option as long as we realize most states allow them. Just their counties and municipalities can still ban them or limit them to lake-side summer homes and campsights etc. Some if you keep wheels on them and they are as an RV etc. where it is not taxed. If you own the land it is for the land.

My county and nearby do not it seems as I know of none. Other counties do and most cities do not as I agree they should not be infill in neighborhoods of regular sized housing as merely my opinion.

Love this lady...she is a Tech lady who says she chose a TINY HOME not over affordability but what and all she wanted. She could work from home for a decade now and like the layout of it as super-efficient yet she has green space even if she does not own the lot. They can be moved onto a lot she owns too if she desires. It appears as a trailer park also as it gives glimpses of the outside. She even uses the loft which many do not for her bed unless for kids. Some I do not understand why they do not have a higher ceiling on some?

Love her spirit and bright personality and clearly a down-to-earth techie. I just do not like those in like parts of Texas that do them in a banal way and all the same one after another close together but for enough room for a car and some no trees, yet they sell as fast as they assemble them.

This one I like interior use for a tiny home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r552PA1MU9s

This one is a bit long.... so scroll a bit. It is in a development also and a Realtor of sorts who does many of them. What I like here is the exterior as a bungalow. The interior is not too bad, just the living room is merely room for a love-seat here it seems, but the porch to entertain is nice. Winters you lose that up north. Love the Greens all around you and can sit out seeing it daily at any time and no need to bike to the park and of course 15-minutes to farms and forest to boast. The boast is you live among it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bYzKMqKD8M

This is a log of sorts option built by me in the Northeast. My state allows them but not all counties or cities in it but for cabin temporary sort of homes or as a RV on wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4dJlTbXPg

Certainly not claiming this is all American has left to hope for... so please do not. Also not saying Europe has none of this or this is superior to another nation and its standards. So spare me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
That aside, we shouldn't forget that the Americans wiped out hundreds of thousands of Indians. Strangely enough, no densely populated cities were needed for this. I also wonder how one can come to the conclusion that something like that in Germany cannot happen to the Jews in the USA, when, however, we know that large numbers of Japanese were interned in camps in the USA during the Second World War. Even if they were not held and treated under the same conditions as the Jews, it was still possible to send a certain population group to the concentration camp. The claim that Germany is the only country that could send entire sections of the population to camps is therefore refuted.
Where did I desire to take this to anything remotely resembling this. Perhaps another did certainly not me. Makes little sense for this forum and merely intent to deflect perhaps because I noted German suburbs have those lovely pretty similar suburban homes with its superior windows and construction. Still my point was that Germans too want to have "Privacy".

I saw this video with those hedges in front of German homes and the only reason is for added privacy or to hide what is in front more than not. Nothing wrong with that as having privacy is only universally a human trait and simple as that and each nation has its unique standards. The other video again nothing lessening or negative on Germany and certainly NOT on past political and war anything.

This is merely some links to give you more info on America and Americans and how they define where they live. Nothing to boast on and just for face value of a respectable source. How Americans define where they live in a 2018 link.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-define-suburb

This is more food for thought on this endless debate on Urban, Suburban and Rural. It breaks down a lot and still does not touch that the US census does not have a suburban standard. It is merely Urban which includes suburban or rural. That matters too in these debates. Also the use of URBAN you argue. In the US.... a URBAN AREA STATISTICS region is of both urban cities and its suburban continuous built-up areas.

This also adds to this argument vs Americans on what is under the term Urban for you vs many here.

This link gives a number of SINGLE HOMES and cities with the most in the US of A by small cities and also large cities. Just more stats to ponder. Not a negative to most Americans.... 2021 link.

https://constructioncoverage.com/res...ily-homes-2021

This link is from April 2023. It has stats on American home building singles and multi-residential and how single-homes still are getting built and that a bit of a glut of multi-residential did appear.

Starts for housing projects with five units or more decreased 6.7% to a rate of 542,000 units. Multi-family housing construction remains underpinned by demand for rental accommodation. But economists see limited scope for further gains, noting an increase in empty apartments.

The inventory of multi-family housing under construction is at record highs.

Single-family building permits jumped 4.1% to a rate of 818,000 units in March, a five-month high. They rose in the Northeast, South and West, but were unchanged in the Midwest.

Permits for housing projects with five units or more plummeted 24.3% to a rate of 543,000 units. Overall, building permits dropped 8.8% to a rate of 1.413 million units.

A lot of this is how the US interest rates were raised to keep inflation under wraps that seems to have worked. Just not a help for housing. This is a previous quarter and the US can change a lot over time. Still booming cities are still building as fast as materials to build them are in place. Infill on slow growing cities continues and some cities mostly multi-residential in-cities vs suburbs.

This is mere more stats somewhat outdated of the still 100s of thousands of units the US of A builds.

Permits for housing projects with five units or more plummeted 24.3% to a rate of 543,000 units. Overall, building permits dropped 8.8% to a rate of 1.413 million units.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/u...%2C000%20units.

This is the GIVE YOU more insight in HOW THE US CENSUS DEFINES RURAL/URBAN and again does not define SUBURBAN. So when Americans say there is not standard here under at least suburban? They are right.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...20-census.html

Old 09-19-2023, 06:32 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Interwebz View Post
Where did I desire to take this to anything remotely resembling this. Perhaps another did certainly not me. Makes little sense for this forum and merely intent to deflect perhaps because I noted German suburbs have those lovely pretty similar suburban homes with its superior windows and construction. Still my point was that Germans too want to have "Privacy".

I saw this video with those hedges in front of German homes and the only reason is for added privacy or to hide what is in front more than not. Nothing wrong with that as having privacy is only universally a human trait and simple as that and each nation has its unique standards. The other video again nothing lessening or negative on Germany and certainly NOT on past political and war anything.

This is merely some links to give you more info on America and Americans and how they define where they live. Nothing to boast on and just for face value of a respectable source. How Americans define where they live in a 2018 link.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-define-suburb

This is more food for thought on this endless debate on Urban, Suburban and Rural. It breaks down a lot and still does not touch that the US census does not have a suburban standard. It is merely Urban which includes suburban or rural. That matters too in these debates. Also the use of URBAN you argue. In the US.... a URBAN AREA STATISTICS region is of both urban cities and its suburban continuous built-up areas.

This also adds to this argument vs Americans on what is under the term Urban for you vs many here.

This link gives a number of SINGLE HOMES and cities with the most in the US of A by small cities and also large cities. Just more stats to ponder. Not a negative to most Americans.... 2021 link.

https://constructioncoverage.com/res...ily-homes-2021

This link is from April 2023. It has stats on American home building singles and multi-residential and how single-homes still are getting built and that a bit of a glut of multi-residential did appear.

Starts for housing projects with five units or more decreased 6.7% to a rate of 542,000 units. Multi-family housing construction remains underpinned by demand for rental accommodation. But economists see limited scope for further gains, noting an increase in empty apartments.

The inventory of multi-family housing under construction is at record highs.

Single-family building permits jumped 4.1% to a rate of 818,000 units in March, a five-month high. They rose in the Northeast, South and West, but were unchanged in the Midwest.

A lot of this is how the US interest rates were raised to keep inflation under wraps that seems to have worked. Just not a help for housing. This is a previous quarter and the US can change a lot over time. Still booming cities are still building as fast as materials to build them are in place. Infill on slow growing cities continues and some cities mostly multi-residential in-cities vs suburbs.

This is mere more stats somewhat outdated of the still 100s of thousands of units the US of A builds.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/u...%2C000%20units.

This is the GIVE YOU more insight in HOW THE US CENSUS DEFINES RURAL/URBAN and again does not define SUBURBAN. So when Americans say there is not standard here under at least suburban? They are right.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...20-census.html

Oh my freaking gosh!!! You have another profile and user name and now you’re arguing with yourself!!

Old 09-20-2023, 11:53 AM

537 posts, read 188,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Oh my freaking gosh!!! You have another profile and user name and now you’re arguing with yourself!!
This is Chi-town not me.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
You cited newspaper articles that report about individual crimes. That's the very definition of cherry picking.

You would notice if there is a drastic difference in crime level between two neighborhoods, because they would look completely different. That's as certain, as the media exaggerating individual crimes.
You will not change those who are on the extreme view on cities from you and in this thread is a missing middle of those who are not on the extreme ideology of demonizing cities of our Nation and constantly seeing no redeeming qualities left in them. Still you can have misconceptions of our Nation they note also in rural, suburban and urban form you feel stats tell you every thing and not realize how how we do stats and collect them differ from Europe and all do not mesh equally.They say a video or street-view does not tell us all, you think stats can say far more then they can and all stats far from equal or collected equally.

NYC is our densest city and Manhattan into the borough of Brooklyn has our highest. So high I would never choose it for me when I was young or now for sure. Some find it is their drive and desire to live in a legacy city of so much culture and history. You will never change some of their views that is in extreme on cities and certain cities by many fed by US media 24/7 negativity and links that constantly dwell on it.

Still, this video is a piece of NYC highest in density. It is by a biker not happy with crowds in his way LOL. It shows much faster then if not on a bike going by and just chaotic to most of us. Only a piece of some reality and not every street. One can say You Americans need to do Germany and it can be fix. Be as Germans in order and get rid of cars LOL.

Enjoy and it will highlight why others hate cities... yet no city is NYC especially at its densest...

Begins with a street drawings but does quickly go biking on a busy street somewhere between Midtown Manhattan and Lower Manhattan where skyscrapers are not built as the bedrock to rest them in is way deeper and some of the older 5 and 6 story old dense solid walls of dense living most of us do not want for us.

Another one will have to click on go to Youtube to view..... It is both funny and a bit ridiculous. Still it is a battle of bikes, people and cars of extreme density..... looks worse than reality as only the bikers view and speed.
Enjoy the densest part of NYC and other cities never will reach thank God....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpzTbEXZLM

Old 10-29-2023, 11:16 AM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Human scale is what I loved about living in Hilo, Hi. There are very, very few tall buildings anywhere, and downtown is a village-like thing where you can walk to almost anything you need or wanted. None of the downtown buildings are more than a few stories, and nearly all are one story.

You can walk from your place easily to the library, post office, dairy queen, local bus depot (lousy bus service, but you can't have everything, at least its free) a pharmacy, two thrift stores, several coffee houses, a variety of restaurants, Federal and State buildings, banks, a Walgreens, parks, the Bay was right downtown so you just walk across two lanes and throw a line in to fish. There's a 7 day a week farmer's market (Wed and Sat are the big ones), two grocery stores, art galleries, local style clothing stores, etc.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:28 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Human scale is what I loved about living in Hilo, Hi. There are very, very few tall buildings anywhere, and downtown is a village-like thing where you can walk to almost anything you need or wanted. None of the downtown buildings are more than a few stories, and nearly all are one story.

You can walk from your place easily to the library, post office, dairy queen, local bus depot (lousy bus service, but you can't have everything, at least its free) a pharmacy, two thrift stores, several coffee houses, a variety of restaurants, Federal and State buildings, banks, a Walgreens, parks, the Bay was right downtown so you just walk across two lanes and throw a line in to fish. There's a 7 day a week farmer's market (Wed and Sat are the big ones), two grocery stores, art galleries, local style clothing stores, etc.
I'm a big fan of Hilo, in part for the reasons you've listed. But to be fair, parts of it look like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.7003...8192?entry=ttu

Old 11-02-2023, 04:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Or:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-19BlCrMeeA...e+of+Peace.jpg

Can't say I'm champing at the bit to visit Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning