Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 01:06 PM

2,334 posts, read 845,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why do we have to have a new Diana? She was a product of her own life, & the people in the RF now, have their own attributes & failings. Stop the fixation on Diana, she was a bit loony as well as pretty.
Call her loony but she was loved in many parts of the world as well as at home. She was a great ambassador for the UK and the Royals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 01:56 PM

Kate in hospital for surgery. Lets wish her a speedy recovery

Old 01-17-2024, 05:08 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Call her loony but she was loved in many parts of the world as well as at home. She was a great ambassador for the UK and the Royals

I agree she was well loved & admired, & I feel much of it, on the part of Americans anyhow, was because she looked like a princess ( beautiful ) People fall for celebrity & good looks all the time.

By loony I mean she had some mental health issues as was discussed upthread, & sadly it looks like her younger son is also loony.

Yes sending get well wishes to the new Princess of Wales.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:03 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Catherine is far more intelligent than Diana was. And far more educated. She had been in the relationship for several years, not a few months like Diana. There are really few grounds of comparison between the two.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:03 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Kate in hospital for surgery. Lets wish her a speedy recovery
Two weeks in hospital sounds serious.. wishing the lovely lady all the best of luck...

Old 01-18-2024, 09:37 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Catherine is far more intelligent than Diana was. And far more educated. She had been in the relationship for several years, not a few months like Diana. There are really few grounds of comparison between the two.
Yeah. The only similarity between the two is both are tall and can really "wear clothes" as they say but even then Kate's style is quite different than Diana's. As their background, temperament and personality. Diana was not only attractive but had this vulnerability that made her even more relatable and appealing. She was flawed.

They'll never be another Diana just like they'll never be another Jackie O, Marilyn Monroe, the Beatles, et al.
They're all products of a certain place in time. You can't nor should you replicate it.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Fergie was a very likeable person, a complete extrovert and with a great sense of humour. The Queen in fact was very fond of her..
Yeah. I was surprised to find that King Charles liked her and would often inquire why Diana couldn't be more like her. He appreciated Fergie's jolliness. However, I heard that Phillip couldn't stand her. Don't know why. Maybe he found her to be too crass.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Two weeks in hospital sounds serious.. wishing the lovely lady all the best of luck...
Amen to that

Old 01-18-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. I was surprised to find that King Charles liked her and would often inquire why Diana couldn't be more like her. He appreciated Fergie's jolliness. However, I heard that Phillip couldn't stand her. Don't know why. Maybe he found her to be too crass.
There was a lot of criticism from the press on her taste in clothes which probably did not conform to the required standards for Royal occasions and she had a habit of deviating from the timetables set for such events which probably irritated people in certain quarters but like Diane she was well liked by the public and for a time like Diane gave some new life and colour to the Monarchy.

I've often wondered why commoners who marry into British Royalty seemed to have problems while those who marry into Danish, Swedish and Norwegian Royalty don't

Old 01-18-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I've often wondered why commoners who marry into British Royalty seemed to have problems while those who marry into Danish, Swedish and Norwegian Royalty don't
Maybe because they're not as heavily scrutinized and criticized by their press as the British press notoriously are. Apparently the princess of Japan (who was a commoner) was driven batty by the Japanese royal family for their constant, relentless criticism of her (one of which was that she wouldn't or didn't walk a few steps behind her husband) or that she was "too vocal" when answering questions from the press i.e. she should be seen and not heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom