Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is funny you should mention that because when I went to Croke Park they talked of limited participation of Protestants in Hurling which I found a little odd.
I say that because over here across the pond, people have no attachment to a team based on political, ethnic, or religious affiliation. For instance the Boston Celtics have Irish symbols, but other than a large Irish population in MA, there is never talk of Catholic or Protestants as it relates to the team.

As to Croke Park, I did enjoy greatly the tour I took and gained an appreciation for the game.

http://www.crokepark.ie/

`
gaelic games were much more than sports in ireland and still are to a degree , the association was joined at the hip with the nationalist and republican movement so its no surprise that protestants did not really see it as attractive

it done a lot of good in rural parts of the country where not much else was available and it created a fantastic bond in communities but it has always been quite a narrowly defined orginisation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Really? Every single one of they? Last time I looked everyone on the island of Ireland is Irish, and Ireland is one of the British Isles. But of course you're not talking geography. No nationality should be assumed to be one giant amorphous blob.

When people stop attaching giant invisible labels to words such a Irish and British then maybe the island will have a chance to move forward, together. That doesn't just involve those nasty pantomime villains "the Protestants" becoming soft and cuddly liberals open to change. It also means those century old downtrodden pantomime victims "the Irish" redefining their outlook to a people who will not conveniently disappear upon reunification.

Ireland will not be united when the border is abolished, but when the borders in people's minds no longer exist. Irish Bob's comments about accepting cultural Protestantism are a crucial first step. Wouldn't it be something if Sinn Fein campaigned on a programme of wooing Protestant hearts and minds.
the vast majority of protestants ( about 4 % of the population ) in the south consider themselves irish but the vast vast majority of protestants in northern ireland ( about 55% of the population ) identify with the uk , they would only refer to themselves as " irish " in a geographical sense when talking to people from other parts of the world or even the uk

Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I guess I missed where you mentioned that you were an Ulster-Scot because that makes more sense based on your posting comments.

As to your comment about never playing GAA because of Republicanism, again over here across the pond, it sounds very odd. I cannot think of a sport that I could associate with a nationality or religion, but even if I could, that would not prevent me from playing if the game held my interest.

Even back when the Soviet Union was our biggest threat, if they played a game that was Soviet to it's core, I'd still have played without any mind to who invented it. If anything it might be looked at as a challenge to get better at their own sport and beat them with it. Not that hockey is Soviet/Russian, but they were the best in the world at it for a long time. As you may recall we handed them a massive defeat in the 1980 Winter Olympics.

I have run out of time, but I cannot help but notice you ignored(maybe by accident) my observation on how Ian Paisley who hated the IRA(and by extension SF) worked with and eventually became friends with Martin McGuinness.

I will get back later tonight.
Why can you not get this though? There are two groups in the country of NI and each one is distinct from each other in many ways.. they do not want to be associated with this group so they do not play this sport.

And yes I did ignore that as I don't think you realise how much SF is not liked. Most would want to see the back of them..

Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the vast majority of protestants ( about 4 % of the population ) in the south consider themselves irish but the vast vast majority of protestants in northern ireland ( about 55% of the population ) identify with the uk , they would only refer to themselves as " irish " in a geographical sense when talking to people from other parts of the world or even the uk
When I goto America I know that they aren't a fan of the UK so I just say I am Irish and from the island as I have tried to say NI before but they cannot understand it so I don't bother. Its not worth the hassle..

Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
I am going to find the time to reply to IB, SW and a few others this weekend, but in the mean time watch this funny video which is related to ignorance of the differences between Eire & NI;

Video: Hilariously embarrassing video of CNBC co-anchor bemused by Ireland's use of the euro - Telegraph

`

Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 AM

You know Vector that is funny. I was out with my driving instuctor the other day and on the radio channel we were listening to they were in fits laughing at that exact person!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
When I goto America I know that they aren't a fan of the UK so I just say I am Irish and from the island as I have tried to say NI before but they cannot understand it so I don't bother. Its not worth the hassle..
makes sense , the population of northern ireland are an incredibly insular bunch , they often forget that the majority of the planet have not the first clue about them and trying to point out the differences between the two communities makes about as much sense as explaining the difference between tibetans and nepalese

Old 11-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Well to be honest we are part of the UK which is one of the most powerful countries in the world, you'd think they'd know about us.

I am not Irish as in Southern Irish, I have a British passport and I use a different currency, I am from a separate country to you so I don't see it as daft. I just couldn't be bothered explaining it to Americans which I am sure is obvious based on the video above.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 AM

16,660 posts, read 17,424,883 times
Flipping heck!

I just watched that video!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I don't think Americans understand how like GB NI is, we aren't actually part of the ROI so its different laws and stuff. I went on a trip to gb twice this week and honestly it was no different to here.
But Americans probably wouldn't notice much difference between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom