Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 07:52 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times

Advertisements

This all started while my wife and I were watching the news and she mentioned hearing something on the front porch. I got up and checked, and sure enough, the javelina were there and had knocked over a pot. I got my camera and started capturing video, and this is where you first see the javelina under the window of the study. I saw that they were moving around to the west side of the house, so I went out the back patio door and started recording them from there. This is where I saw Mama and babies (and sometimes others) laying down with the babies. I watched them for a while for you, then moved to another location outside my back fence, recorded a bit more and decided to leave them alone. It is a pretty sweet video. I am glad the javelina felt comfortable enough to lay down with the babies when they knew I was there. I am glad they allowed me to get some very up close video to share with you from behind my fence! I hope you enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJlcJ3BZoY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 01:14 PM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
So many peaceful moments in this, just napping and hanging out. The group shot at 1:32, all looking at you is a wonderful portrait. There were several times when mother or baby yawns, very cute. Javelinaville at Bart's!

Old 02-29-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
So many peaceful moments in this, just napping and hanging out. The group shot at 1:32, all looking at you is a wonderful portrait. There were several times when mother or baby yawns, very cute. Javelinaville at Bart's!
Thanks for the comment wildflowers27! Yes, it was a very nice low key encounter, and allowed me to get some really nice close up video. Glad you enjoyed it!

Old 02-29-2024, 05:51 PM

251 posts, read 203,248 times
Wildflowers27 is right, so peaceful and your place for sure is javelinaville! Thank you for taking the time to capture them napping, yawning and looking up at you. I think I've said this before but they must really feel safe at your place. Was Blaze watching as well?

Old 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
What a great video. Glad you were able to record all this and that the javelinas didn't seem to mind.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
That has to be one of your best javelina videos ever, such good close-ups. I really enjoyed that.

They obviously know you're not a threat, mama even had a big yawn. Do they ever bed down at your place?

Old 03-03-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
Wildflowers27 is right, so peaceful and your place for sure is javelinaville! Thank you for taking the time to capture them napping, yawning and looking up at you. I think I've said this before but they must really feel safe at your place. Was Blaze watching as well?
I do think they feel safe, not just at my house, but in my neighborhood. No one bothers them, they are left to roam the area and do their thing. It was my pleasure to capture the video to share. I would like as many people as possible to know about them. I would also like to try and change some minds about negative perceptions some people hold. Blaze was not watching this time, they were outside of his view, but he did go nose to nose with them through our front security screen door in the past!

Old 03-03-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
What a great video. Glad you were able to record all this and that the javelinas didn't seem to mind.
Glad you liked the video Windwalker2! I was really glad to capture this video to share. I have often wondered what the javelina perceive when I video them from behind my fence, because they only see my head. If they saw my whole body that close, would the behave differently? I have accidentally been within a few feet of them in the past (didn't notice them behind some bushes until I was right there), and they pretty much just looked at me. I kept my same pace as I passed them (did not run) and absolutely nothing happened. I think they are as curious about us as we are about them!

Old 03-03-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
That has to be one of your best javelina videos ever, such good close-ups. I really enjoyed that.

They obviously know you're not a threat, mama even had a big yawn. Do they ever bed down at your place?
Thank you very much for the kind words Cal Worth! Glad you enjoyed the video! I don't think they see most people as a threat. Now, a person with a dog, they do see that as a threat and that is when bad things can happen. The see a dog as a coyote which is the primary predator of their young. Oh yes, they do bed down at my house, sometimes for several hours! Below are a couple of links to some videos showing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uf7XSUSAsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmWAnyK3SE

Old 03-06-2024, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 16,094 times
Very cool vids. I used to have a squadron of javelinas around my house until new neighbors cut down all the brush in the unusable portion of their property and started killing or chasing off all critters. They were hell bent on killing a gopher snake that kept the rodent population under control and just stared at me when I tried to explain snakes are good. Some people just like killing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: