Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:11 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times

Advertisements

Ok, downsatater here. Lover of NY, hater of outrageous taxes.. That said, Skaneateles is one of NY's gems. The water on the lake is caribbean blue!!!! You have like 20' plus underwater visibility. ITs unbelievable. The town reminded me of VT. in my "percieved" snootiness. That said, I would live in that region in a heartbeat, if i could "afford" it. Good luck, great area, and the ride on Rt 20 out to buffalo in the fall is to die for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 PM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Ok, downsatater here. Lover of NY, hater of outrageous taxes.. That said, Skaneateles is one of NY's gems. The water on the lake is caribbean blue!!!! You have like 20' plus underwater visibility. ITs unbelievable. The town reminded me of VT. in my "percieved" snootiness. That said, I would live in that region in a heartbeat, if i could "afford" it. Good luck, great area, and the ride on Rt 20 out to buffalo in the fall is to die for.
For a Downstater, it may not be that bad, depending on where you look in the town.

If you like Skaneateles, then you might also like Cazenovia, which is east of Syracuse in Madison County. Prices for homes are at a wider range, from what I've seen. It is also on a lake of the same name as the community and has a similar look/feel. It also has a small private college within village limits.

Or if you want a nice, small town just outside of Skaneateles, I would consider Marcellus. Very under publicized community in the area that has good, small schools and it is close to big box shopping in Camillus as well. It also has that "New England feel" in its village.

So, Skaneateles isn't the only community in the area with a nice, small town feel.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 20,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmacNY View Post
This is a pretty damning post - and one that should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I am always suspect of people who ONLY find negatives in situations.

From the research my wife I have done, it does seem like Rochester seems to be heading in better direction at a quicker pace than Syracuse though, but that does not mean you cannot be happy in the Syracuse area.
Yes it is damning and it's also very true.

You will be well served by going to Fairport/Pittsford over anything near Syracuse. Your commute will stink though - it's well over an hour.

I forgot to mention another couple I know who moved from Pittsford to Skan and she (the wife) hates it. She lived in Pittsford and loved it. Skan has really taken a toll on their marriage and she wants to move back. He's trying to move but cannot because of his position at a local employer. It's almost at divorce stage.

If you are curious - do a comparison of the schools in the state wide rankings. You won't see WG or WH anywhere on the list.

My wife and I love going up to Rochester and regret the fact we can't live up that way. We also just got word we might be moving again.

Btw - I took a 75% pay cut when I located but now have a new gig which requires me to travel half the week to Philadelphia for work. That's where we are now considering.

Moving to Syracuse was a disaster.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 AM

46 posts, read 50,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiasedviews View Post

You will be well served by going to Fairport/Pittsford over anything near Syracuse. Your commute will stink though - it's well over an hour.

I forgot to mention another couple I know who moved from Pittsford to Skan and she (the wife) hates it. She lived in Pittsford and loved it. Skan has really taken a toll on their marriage and she wants to move back. He's trying to move but cannot because of his position at a local employer. It's almost at divorce stage.

If you are curious - do a comparison of the schools in the state wide rankings. You won't see WG or WH anywhere on the list.

My wife and I love going up to Rochester and regret the fact we can't live up that way. We also just got word we might be moving again.

Btw - I took a 75% pay cut when I located but now have a new gig which requires me to travel half the week to Philadelphia for work. That's where we are now considering.

I think everyone appreciates different opinions on the website, but my point in the post was when someone only posts negative comments, like yourself, then you need to take their advice with a grain of salt, because chances are you would be unhappy anywhere if you took a 75% paycut. And pointing out a single couple who was unhappy with a move to the area is just sort of asinine. Either way it shakes out, I hope you find some happiness at some point.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiasedviews View Post

Who would be happy anywhere with taking a 75% pay cut?

It sounds like that couple has other problems besides their location. Yes, Skaneateles isn't Pittsford, but anyone who has EVER visited Skaneateles would know that. It's a VERY small village while Pittsford isn't. It has a Cheesecake Factory for Pete's Sake! There's absolutely no comparing the two. Life in Skaneateles is MUCH quieter than Pittsford.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM

16 posts, read 17,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9square View Post
keep in mind that skaneateles is located west of syracuse university - that means sun in your eyes on the commute both ways.

+1

Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 17,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post

Last week on the lake I could see down to the bottom at 39.4 feet according to the depth finder on the boat. The water was crystal clear!

Old 08-08-2017, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from on here, I'm not from Syracuse, however I had the pleasure of working out here this summer. First of all the weather is really nice in the summer, very mild. I can't vouch for the winters, but I like to ski/cross country ski so I think it would be quite nice. People are refreshingly friendly in Syracuse and they're very authentic. I have lived in Ohio, Florida, Vegas and California and there's just something about people from the state of New York that I like. I hate the falseness and pettiness of the South. The hot humid summers of Florida also have no appeal to me and there's no worst ambiance than Florida in the winter. If I were to move to this area, Skaneateles would be my pick. Beautiful lake, friendly people and a quaint walkable village. And if you like wine, going wine tasting along the Finger Lakes is like paradise right next door. I'm leaving Syracuse with nothing but a great impression!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:57 AM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierflyer View Post
I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from on here, I'm not from Syracuse, however I had the pleasure of working out here this summer. First of all the weather is really nice in the summer, very mild. I can't vouch for the winters, but I like to ski/cross country ski so I think it would be quite nice. People are refreshingly friendly in Syracuse and they're very authentic. I have lived in Ohio, Florida, Vegas and California and there's just something about people from the state of New York that I like. I hate the falseness and pettiness of the South. The hot humid summers of Florida also have no appeal to me and there's no worst ambiance than Florida in the winter. If I were to move to this area, Skaneateles would be my pick. Beautiful lake, friendly people and a quaint walkable village. And if you like wine, going wine tasting along the Finger Lakes is like paradise right next door. I'm leaving Syracuse with nothing but a great impression!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your time in the area and there are other places in the area that are similar as well(Cazenovia has the lake, quaint village and a similar set of people, for an example).

Old 07-09-2021, 05:36 PM

105 posts, read 83,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a video that gives an idea of what the community looks like and other nearby sites in the Finger Lakes region: https://youtu.be/Pxx7Qe8fxqI
This was a cute video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area