Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Thanks again for some great pictures. I was wondering you mentioned the term : "third ring" suburb. what does that mean? Also many have mentioned the fear of "overly developed" areas..are there laws to protect developers from turning great open areas like this into congested places like NYC, Long island and parts of the Poconos? I for one like to see stores and new homes, but living in NYC all of my life, I certainly like seeing open areas with clean air.....
Thanks!

Third Ring suburb simply means a town that is developing suburban development three towns outside the Central City. For instance draw a line in any direction from the Central City (in this case Syracuse)...in order to get to the "third ring suburb" you need to pass through two other suburban towns first.

Concerns about suburban towns like Pompey growing....Well, there are zoning laws that limit development. For example, many towns allow only single family homes on one acre lots or larger. Many towns do not allow commercial development or restrict to a small part of town. Also, many, many towns around Syracuse have plans to or already have protected farmland by applying for State grants that will keep the land "Forever Wild". In fact, I bet more land is protected every year around the Syracuse area lately than has actually been developed. Syracuse is infamous for their "NIMBYS", flaming environmentalists, and those who simply hate "change".

All major cities have growing suburbs. If you move to a suburb outside a fairly large city, you shouldn't expect it to stay the same forever. Those who like living in the country should move into the middle of the rural areas, not the fringe of the suburbs. The problem with the Syracuse area is that the local leadership actual do listen to the naysayers who try to fight every proposed development. If you move to place like Charlotte or Austin, TX which have very fast growing suburbs, most local leadership is very pro-growth and progressive, so they usually ignore those who oppose new development. That is one reason those regions can grow and prosper. In the Syracuse area the leadership listens to those who are most vocal and they happen to be those against change. So the Syracuse area leadership either become very passive about development, let it go until its opposed or try to stop future development by zoning, not widening roads, not expanding water, sewer and seeking grants to keep all farmland or forest "forever wild".

Don't worry about Clean Air, the Syracuse MSA was ranked the city with the "cleanest air"..... ABC.com: The View And this region is barely growing compared to most metros our size. Only about 1,000 new homes are built in the Syracuse area every year. Syracuse, NY Single-Family Building Permits Compare that to the Atlanta area which builds over 50,000 new homes every year.... Atlanta, GA Single-Family Building Permits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:17 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
BellaFinzi, have you ever had anyone stop you before while you were taking pictures? It looks as if you take most from inside of your vehicle; I was just wondering if anybody out there on those cul-de-sacs ever demanded to know why you were photographing their homes? I ask this because someone on the PA forum wanted me to snap some photos of a few new lake communities near Scranton, but I've been hesitant to for fear of being shot at! LOL! Thanks!
I dont think they have right to tell you can't, especially if you are taking general pictures of street, neighborhood, or surrounding area. Unless its a gated-type of community where its all private including the roads, but in that case you wouldn't be able to get in there in the first place.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Video of a hot air balloon landing in Pompey, NY

YouTube - Landing From The Coors Light Balloon Fest

The Coors Light Balloon Fest is an annual festival held in nearby Jamesville...

Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 13,769 times
Default The only problem with these pics.....

Is that they are only of the part of Pompey that is near Manlius. They are still in the town of Pompey, but they do not show the largest part of Pompey or the hamlet. Pompey is not all housing developments - in fact, there are very few in the town proper and the 2 or 3 that are there are very small with only 10 or so houses. Pompey is the largest town in Onondaga County and is much bigger in size than Syracuse. Because Pompey is the highest inhabited point in Onondaga County, the weather is a lot different up there! It can be snowing a blizzard in Pompey and down in DeWitt, the sun can be shining. The temperature is generally 5-7 degrees lower than in Jamesville or DeWitt.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 PM

41 posts, read 122,630 times
Smile clouds

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures! I forgot what clouds looked like since I live in the south now. It is so nice to see pictures from NY and remember.......

Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM

13 posts, read 66,886 times
Default Pompey, NY

We have a 64 acre family gentleman's farm in Pompey near US Route 20. The photos posted by Bellafinzi are mostly in the northern part of the town adjacent to Manlius. Pompey is a very rural area convenient to I-81. The nearest exit is about 7 miles away in LaFayette. Because there are no traffic lights to slow you down, it is an easy drive west on US Route 20. You can be downtown (Syracuse) in about 20 minutes. If you are in the northern portion of the town near Manlius, getting downtown takes more effort with quite a lot of suburban traffic volume. Pompey receives more snowfall than the city and is about 10 degrees colder. The views are fabulous and it is country living at its best. It is only about 10 minutes down Route 20 to Cazenovia where you will find a pretty lake, fine dining, nice shops, good pizza and a great coffee house. Here are some photos taken in our neck of the woods, the southern area of the town of Pompey.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Pompey-southeast suburb of Syracuse-farm_fall.jpg   Pictures of Pompey-southeast suburb of Syracuse-balloon-07.jpg   Pictures of Pompey-southeast suburb of Syracuse-sunrise.jpg  

Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Wonderful pics dianalb67!

Even though the following video is not Pompey, it is located in the southern hills bordering Pompey. Landscape from Otisco/Lafayette on youtube:

YouTube - view from my deck

Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 PM

130 posts, read 172,986 times
Hey bellafinzi-
Could you take some pics ofm pratts falls? I think that would be more informative for folks..also, the roads leading UP TO Pratts Falls and also Gulf Road (about 4 mi. East, off rt. 20...yes, I know NOW (Nov 25+) is not the seaosn...but THOSE are the roads of beauty and mystery!!! Also all the little roads leading into Manlius... and Rt91, especially those just outside of jamesville, showing the Reservoir...that area is noce to... thanks,
Ham Sandwich

Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
Hey bellafinzi-
Could you take some pics ofm pratts falls? I think that would be more informative for folks..also, the roads leading UP TO Pratts Falls and also Gulf Road (about 4 mi. East, off rt. 20...yes, I know NOW (Nov 25+) is not the seaosn...but THOSE are the roads of beauty and mystery!!! Also all the little roads leading into Manlius... and Rt91, especially those just outside of jamesville, showing the Reservoir...that area is noce to... thanks,
Ham Sandwich
I rarely make it down that way. That's 45 minutes away from me. Someday I'll have to take photos of Cazenovia and I'll try to hit those spots you suggested. BTW, I haven't been to Pratts Falls or Highland Forest or Chitt Falls in nearly a decade, maybe next summer I'll see them again....

Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
Highland Forest has a new main lodge, we were very pleased to see such a nice installation in a county park. Onondaga has wonderful county parks, much nicer than any county parks on Long Island. A contractor has been working on restoring the sluice for Pratts Falls, should be done soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area