Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

They're doing a community forum tonight on the lake's cleanup. I wish I could go, but have a prior engagement

Community forum set Tuesday to talk about Onondaga Lake cleanup | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 AM

About 150 people turn out Tuesday night to discuss details of Onondaga Lake's cleanup | syracuse.com

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This is good to see and hopefully the project can be an example of how to restore and clean water sources.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM

I think it definitely is getting better. I definitely remember smelling the lake summer of 2010, but this year I didn't notice it once. I hope that it's clean enough in my lifetime to go swimming seeing as I only live 2 blocks from it!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM

97 posts, read 261,506 times
I wanted to ask you that Becca, Ive seen in previous posts that you live in Liverpool, is the smell really as bad as everyone says? I live pretty far from the Lake so I dont go as much as I should but I love the Parkway and I think Liverpool is making a huge comeback and in recent years has become one of the best villages in CNY to visit, (second to Skaneateles of course). Watching Liverppols growth has been great to watch and a clean Onondaga Lake will only add to that and make the Village a bigger tourist attraction.

So I guess how have things changed regarding the Lake since you've started liveing there?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese522 View Post
I wanted to ask you that Becca, Ive seen in previous posts that you live in Liverpool, is the smell really as bad as everyone says? I live pretty far from the Lake so I dont go as much as I should but I love the Parkway and I think Liverpool is making a huge comeback and in recent years has become one of the best villages in CNY to visit, (second to Skaneateles of course). Watching Liverppols growth has been great to watch and a clean Onondaga Lake will only add to that and make the Village a bigger tourist attraction.

So I guess how have things changed regarding the Lake since you've started liveing there?
Yes, it has definitely gotten better especially in regards to the smell. Like I said, in summer 2010 there were several times when I would be near the lake and think "What the HECK is that smell??!!" And then I would realize, duh it's the lake. This past summer, didn't smell it once. And you would definitely remember it if you did smell it - very pungent and unlike any other smell.

I've heard other people say that the water has gotten clearer, but I don't know personally because I never paid attention when I was walking/hanging at the lake.

I would be willing to bet that if the lake improved to the point of being swimable/fishable/etc, the Village of Liverpool would skyrocket into one of the most desirable communities. It's already a great place to live, but it would attract even more people and housing prices would definitely go up. Right now the majority of the houses for sale are between 100K and 150K. The old bed and breakfast on Sycamore has been for sale ever since I lived here - originally upwards of 300K and most recently they dropped it to about 140K with still no bites, so the owners sold it to an auction company that's been trying to get rid of it for the past 6 months with no luch.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Yes, it has definitely gotten better especially in regards to the smell. Like I said, in summer 2010 there were several times when I would be near the lake and think "What the HECK is that smell??!!" And then I would realize, duh it's the lake. This past summer, didn't smell it once. And you would definitely remember it if you did smell it - very pungent and unlike any other smell.

I've heard other people say that the water has gotten clearer, but I don't know personally because I never paid attention when I was walking/hanging at the lake.

I would be willing to bet that if the lake improved to the point of being swimable/fishable/etc, the Village of Liverpool would skyrocket into one of the most desirable communities. It's already a great place to live, but it would attract even more people and housing prices would definitely go up. Right now the majority of the houses for sale are between 100K and 150K. The old bed and breakfast on Sycamore has been for sale ever since I lived here - originally upwards of 300K and most recently they dropped it to about 140K with still no bites, so the owners sold it to an auction company that's been trying to get rid of it for the past 6 months with no luch.
Hi Becca, speaking of Village of Liverpool. Over the TG holiday, we went to Freedom of Espresso and noticed that the building was converted to residential units above the cafe. Do you happen to know what they are asking for in rents? I am assuming they are apartments or lofts, not condo's. I was told the building is fully occupied. I found that location to be ideal, walkable to everything, including Onondaga Lake Park. Talk about an urban village, I am so proud of what has and is being done with the village. Also, are you a realtor?

Regarding the smell of the lake, I have not smelled anything in years (during my visits of course)...not since I was a teen.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Hi Becca, speaking of Village of Liverpool. Over the TG holiday, we went to Freedom of Espresso and noticed that the building was converted to residential units above the cafe. Do you happen to know what they are asking for in rents? I am assuming they are apartments or lofts, not condo's. I was told the building is fully occupied. I found that location to be ideal, walkable to everything, including Onondaga Lake Park. Talk about an urban village, I am so proud of what has and is being done with the village. Also, are you a realtor?

Regarding the smell of the lake, I have not smelled anything in years (during my visits of course)...not since I was a teen.

Thanks.
JGB converted that property over a year ago - I was very interested, but the apts were too expensive for me. They completely gutted the building to put in the cafe and apts. The cheapest they go for is around $900 - Apartments for Rent - 401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

And no, I'm not a realtor. Just a gal who loves the Village of Liverpool

Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
JGB converted that property over a year ago - I was very interested, but the apts were too expensive for me. They completely gutted the building to put in the cafe and apts. The cheapest they go for is around $900 - Apartments for Rent - 401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

And no, I'm not a realtor. Just a gal who loves the Village of Liverpool
Thanks and rock on!...The Village of Liverpool is a great place to live.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Thanks and rock on!...The Village of Liverpool is a great place to live.
Yes it is! Of all the places I've lived before, I've never taken such a huge liking to a community. I love following everything that's going on in the Village because I don't plan on leaving. My aunt/uncle have been here for over 20 years and I plan on doing the same! It's neat to be a part of something that's so close knit and everyone really does care what goes on in the Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area