Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:04 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Just curious, what's the attraction there? I've been there once and wasn't particularly impressed. It's very cold in winter and vary hot in summer. . . Prices are low for a reason.
https://weatherspark.com/y/2380/Aver...tes-Year-Round
It’s a natural paradise and close to so many things. Housing prices aren’t cheap, so that says something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 02:56 PM

93 posts, read 95,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
We're considering St. G too, but I'm finding precious little info on any 55+ Active Adult communities there, which we are interested in since we will be coming in cold (no friends or family there). We don't want to just drop ourselves into any old neighborhood since we've had little success meeting others our age in conventional neighborhoods. We'd prefer to be embedded with others in the 50-70 age range which these specific communities offer. Toll Bros was supposed to break ground there but it seems still on the drawing board. Any suggestions or is St. G lacking in this type of development?
My husband and I moved to St. George last June. We did look at one 55+ community, SunRiver, but ended up not moving there. (Long story as to why.) Check them out and see if that's what you're looking for.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:25 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
It’s a natural paradise and close to so many things. Housing prices aren’t cheap, so that says something.
In what respect is St. George a paradise? Other threads about it here, have cautioned against growing crime. I'd love to hear about the "paradise" aspect of it.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In what respect is St. George a paradise? Other threads about it here, have cautioned against growing crime. I'd love to hear about the "paradise" aspect of it.
Hmmm... Ruth, did you forget that right next to paradise, hell is located?
Only a simple fence separates the two!
This reminds me of the story where somebody broke that fence for whatever reason. Hell got mad and told Paradise to fix it, else they would sue them! Paradise wrote back and notified Hell that Paradise would immediately fix the fence since Paradise did not have any lawyers to fight the suit...

Old 04-26-2022, 04:26 PM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
The paradise aspect escapes me, but I am not a resident. Summers are too hot for my taste. When we last visited, the culinary options were limited to chain restaurants. If I were staying in such a hot climate (and I am not signing up for that), I'd move across the border to NV and avoid the income tax.

But this is an outsiders perspective who did not find the town attractive in a couple of short visits. It must be attractive to some.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:35 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
You left out the word “natural”, it changes the meaning of my post considerably. Your question also makes me realize you likely have never been there. Red Mountain, Snow Canyon, Zion, slot canyons galore, petroglyphs trails right in town, They have the most developed series of bike paths I have seen. A natural paradise.

As to the above post above about only chain restaurants, you must not have tried too hard. Xetava Gardens, Painted Pony are excellent local options. There are a few others we enjoy, but I’ll let folks discover those on their own.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:55 PM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
My dad told me a story that his great great grandfather had argued with Brigham Young and was banished to Washington County. Since hearing that story I've always thought of that area as being Brigham Young's penal colony.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:01 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Just curious, what's the attraction there? I've been there once and wasn't particularly impressed. It's very cold in winter and vary hot in summer. . . Prices are low for a reason.
https://weatherspark.com/y/2380/Aver...tes-Year-Round
Its about sixty miles from Zion National Park. Ivins, where I have my retirement home, is a suburb of St. George and is located right next to Snow Canyon State Park. Its a little over 100 miles from Bryce Canyon National Park. It is about 120 miles from the Grand Canyon. At different places in the greater community you can find Indian petroglyphs and trails to interesting overlooks. For those who want other forms of recreation, its about 100 miles from Las Vegas. I don't know where you get the idea it is very cold in the winter. It is the warmest place in Utah during the winter. I won't deny that snow occasionally falls in the winter, but if it does it generally melts within hours. Its hot in the summer, but its a tolerable dry heat not that nasty humid heat you get in southern states.

Quote:
Crime may be growing, but its very low in St. George. Most people have only one lock on their door. I discussed the crime issue with a deputy in the Washington County Sheriff's office. He really could not identify an area in the community that he thought had high crime. The population has grown a great deal in the last 10-15 years some increase in crime--particularly property crime--is inevitable. It would be true of anywhere in the country. If I didn't call the area "paradise" I would call it pretty nice. It is surrounded by national parks, state parks, and numerous recreational opportunities. There is an outdoor theater known as the Tuacahn Theater near Snow Canyon State Park. The theater is in a perfect red rock setting. In the summer, mist is sprayed onto theater goers to keep them nice and cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The paradise aspect escapes me, but I am not a resident. Summers are too hot for my taste. When we last visited, the culinary options were limited to chain restaurants. If I were staying in such a hot climate (and I am not signing up for that), I'd move across the border to NV and avoid the income tax.

But this is an outsiders perspective who did not find the town attractive in a couple of short visits. It must be attractive to some.
There are locally owned brew pubs, specialty restaurants at places like Kayenta, and local favorites like the Hungry Bear Diner. I'm leaving others out simply because I cannot remember a name. I could point you to locally owned high quality Mexican restaurants and barbeque restaurants. I would agree that chain restaurants predominate, but its incorrect to not give local restaurants their due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
My dad told me a story that his great great grandfather had argued with Brigham Young and was banished to Washington County. Since hearing that story I've always thought of that area as being Brigham Young's penal colony.
Brigham Young is supposed to have sent his most hardcore firebrand followers to St. George because of the rough living conditions. It may have had something to do with the Mountain Meadows Massacre in 1857.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:40 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
We're considering St. G too, but I'm finding precious little info on any 55+ Active Adult communities there, which we are interested in since we will be coming in cold (no friends or family there). We don't want to just drop ourselves into any old neighborhood since we've had little success meeting others our age in conventional neighborhoods. We'd prefer to be embedded with others in the 50-70 age range which these specific communities offer. Toll Bros was supposed to break ground there but it seems still on the drawing board. Any suggestions or is St. G lacking in this type of development?
FYI, nearby Mesquite NV has a big Del Web community. I know it is not UT but on the other hand you're close enough and there's not income tax.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:07 PM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
Hardcore firebrands. I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George