Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 02:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times

Advertisements

Looking at previous threads that have gone off topic, I kind of took what we have for the Urban Planning Forum and thought we could use one specifically for SC.

Welcome to the South Carolina Urban Planning thread ! The purpose of this forum is to discuss issues related to SC cities, their layout and design.

Some examples of on-topic threads for the SC Urban Planning forum are:
zoning and land-use planning
sprawl
sustainability and smart growth
gentrification, revitalization, and urban renewal
suburbanization
urban decay
density
public transit and transit-oriented development
urban design and aesthetics
as well as socio-economic and environmental issues relating to cities.

Please remember that while we may be passionate about our opinions, the City-Data terms of service still apply. It all boils down to two words: Be respectful! Respect others’ opinions and they will respect yours. If you see a problematic post, don't hesitate to use the Report Post () button to notify the moderator.

Now, let's build our perfect city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 04:20 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Looking at previous threads that have gone off topic, I kind of took what we have for the Urban Planning Forum and thought we could use one specifically for SC.

Welcome to the South Carolina Urban Planning thread ! The purpose of this forum is to discuss issues related to SC cities, their layout and design.

Some examples of on-topic threads for the SC Urban Planning forum are:
zoning and land-use planning
sprawl
sustainability and smart growth
gentrification, revitalization, and urban renewal
suburbanization
urban decay
density
public transit and transit-oriented development
urban design and aesthetics
as well as socio-economic and environmental issues relating to cities.

Please remember that while we may be passionate about our opinions, the City-Data terms of service still apply. It all boils down to two words: Be respectful! Respect others’ opinions and they will respect yours. If you see a problematic post, don't hesitate to use the Report Post () button to notify the moderator.

Now, let's build our perfect city!
lol... may have to drop "urban" or "city" just leave it as Planning... Im kidding of course... good idea to add to the platform

Old 04-11-2024, 04:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times
This can include rural areas and towns. lol!

Old 04-11-2024, 04:39 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,588 times
I'm all for it. Hopefully there is some kind of plan out there.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:17 PM

So I believe that it is state law that all municipalities must have some form of Comprehensive Plan. These plans usually cover a range of elements/chapters to include Transportation, Environment, Schools, Transit, Population/Growth, to name a few and of course Land Use/Zoning. I believe it must be updated every ten years and outline current trends along with future plans/goals/objectives. Its worth looking at your communities plan sometimes done by the Council of Governments for many rural counties.. but most Counties and larger cities and towns do their own as well. If you want know what the vision of your community is.. look in your Comp Plan.

I have told this story before.. When I bought my first home in Columbia right out of College. I went to a development in NE Richland County and was talking with the sales rep. We walked the home site and I noted the woods behind the home. The realtor said " All those woods will never be developed". I asked if it was a nature preserve, park or state forest or zoned for agriculture /open space and the reponse was "NO". I pulled up the Land Use/Zoning Ordinance and..sure enough it was zoned for residential housing. I didnt purchase the home and several years later all those beautiful trees were gone and houses were going in.. Buyer beware!

Old 04-12-2024, 02:14 PM

12,888 posts, read 18,741,137 times
I just noticed this thread. Good idea. I don’t know if every city’s plan is due for an update, but Charleston’s is, and they are working on it. I believe a lot more density will result where it should, after the update, as increased density is already happening on the peninsula and in close-in areas.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:33 PM

12,888 posts, read 18,741,137 times
There’s hardly a big box store or manufacturing plant in this state, if any, where the bulk their employees wouldn’t have an easier time getting to work if the area had been designed with best land use practices. Developers have been allowed to create traffic quagmires all over the state with willy nilly, leapfrogging design, with no civilized or overall refined pattern to it. And people have bought in. It didn’t have to be that way. Incremental physical growth contiguous to a downtown the size of Charleston’s or as tiny as Swansea’s, was always the way to grow. It just didn’t happen. If it had, those bucolic and small town pleasures would be a lot shorter drive to get to than they are now.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:42 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 9 days ago)

726 posts, read 342,641 times
I think King Street should be a pedestrian mall like Church St in Burlington. Could add trees, benches, tables.

Burlington took the asphalt and sidewalks out for brick.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
There’s hardly a big box store or manufacturing plant in this state, if any, where the bulk their employees wouldn’t have an easier time getting to work if the area had been designed with best land use practices. Developers have been allowed to create traffic quagmires all over the state with willy nilly, leapfrogging design, with no civilized or overall refined pattern to it. And people have bought in. It didn’t have to be that way. Incremental physical growth contiguous to a downtown the size of Charleston’s or as tiny as Swansea’s, was always the way to grow. It just didn’t happen. If it had, those bucolic and small town pleasures would be a lot shorter drive to get to than they are now.
I would be interested in Dorchester, Berkeley and Colleton County visions are for there areas near the Charleston borders. In Charleston County..is development racing south towards Johns and Youngs Islands or just up the I-26 corridor? I have no idea.. I just have googlemaps to look at development year over year.

In the Midlands..Lexington County is king.. followed by NW Richland and then Richland NE would be my guess especially in the Elgin corridor

Old 04-12-2024, 06:10 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,955,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would be interested in Dorchester, Berkeley and Colleton County visions are for there areas near the Charleston borders. In Charleston County..is development racing south towards Johns and Youngs Islands or just up the I-26 corridor? I have no idea.. I just have googlemaps to look at development year over year.

In the Midlands..Lexington County is king.. followed by NW Richland and then Richland NE would be my guess especially in the Elgin corridor
Charleston growth is, so far as i can tell, largely to the north-east (in the general direction of Monck's Corner) with a bit towards Johns island and more recently due West of Summerville with the long Savannah plan which seems to mostly be bounded by 17Alt and the Delamar highway.

As far as the area towards Monck's corner goes the Cane Bay area is almost fully built out, Nexton is a bit slower (unsurprising since it started much later and seems to be going for something closer to a downtown feel instead of suburban hell)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina