Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2024, 12:05 PM

8,292 posts, read 13,477,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I don't believe that neighborhood meets all the requirements to become a historical district. The architectural style is not consistent for one thing. There are certain criteria they will have to meet, and many steps in the process as well. And the city would have to deem that area significant enough to the local history to even bother.

And as far as the South side, they have enough problems to deal with over there. I doubt if historical preservation is on anybody's list at the moment. They have a long way to go and don't seem like much interest is in that area from the city right now.
That could be true.. they could always take a block or a series of blocks if they have a group or a street of homes that could be considered to be contributing to a district. The only reason why I raise it is because I believe owners of such properties get tax breaks and may qualify for grants to fix these properties up. So, I would think that may be an incentive for the city to pursue it as it could spur revitalization of the area.

I dont think that would be the case for South Sumter..I think that would have to be a new community built from the ground up.. The only plus side is that it is close to downtown and has all the available utility infrastructure.. though it does lack sidewalks and storm drains in many areas. If they could get some smaller "clean" industries to locate along S. Lafayette ..that could provide a source of employment that could support the adjacent communities. Many large employers support "live near your work" that provide down payment or closing cost assistance to employees that live near their employer.... which is the old company town model where you have people living near the industry and they can walk, bike, or take a bus to work. I also think they should rezone everything along the south side adjacent to RR tacks in South Sumter a block or two deep to allow for small scale (clean) industries, warehouses, cottage industries to locate there to provide a physical transitional buffer between the noxious RR tracks and any new residential area. (3rd Ave, Mary St, Divine Street next to the tracks)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...ucWI?entry=ttu

I dont know why they would allow homes to be built along a street like this (below).. there are some there now, which could remain.. but the future could take a different direction

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9125...5410&entry=ttu

Here is a good example.. Dingle St in West Sumter at the Lumber Yard buffers the neighborhood from the tracks ..with a decent frontage facing the community.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9146...5410&entry=ttu

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-02-2024 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 12:13 PM

12,996 posts, read 9,734,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
They also probably wanted to be able to cross the streets safely. The four way forces drivers to stop and look for pedestrians as they check for traffic. Not so much with two way on the cross streets. I would bet that many of these traffic enhancements in this and other neighborhoods are a result of the pandemic. People working from home are likely to take walks or recreate on foot closer to home during the week. I am residents encountered/ discovered all types of issues that they may not have noticed if they were in an office from 9 to 5 monday through friday... LOL

I have friends that work in local government and they said the number of complaints rose steadily during and after the pandemic for things like (various parking violations, noise complaints, yard complaints, city service complaints) to name a few. I read that some HOAs had been flooded with complaints as well... including getting rid of their lanscaping crews using gas leaf blowers.... Ah nothing like making an important presentation on ZOOM or TEAMS and hearing a leaf blower crank up right outside your window.. the sound of spring/summer
This is all true and I usually see older retired people out for a morning walks, or a young mother pushing a stroller, and people walking their dogs. The fatal accident in that neighborhood probably fast tracked everything to all 4-way stops. Also, the streets are not wide at all, and you will have to deal with service trucks and law care trucks parked along the road as well.

Last edited by ipaper; 05-02-2024 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-04-2024, 05:52 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,152,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
They are adding a new stoplight at the intersection of Patriot Parkway and Dechamps Rd. It's a busy area that is still growing in actually surprised it took this long.
I wish they would’ve made that a traffic circle instead of a light. Plenty of room for it.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:06 AM

8,292 posts, read 13,477,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I wish they would’ve made that a traffic circle instead of a light. Plenty of room for it.
That would be cool. Are there any other traffic circles in Sumter? Some communities that I have been to where they were introduced... some drivers ended up like Chevy Chase in National Lampoons European Vacation when they were in London...He ended up stuck on one as he couldnt get off ..

"Look Kids Big Ben Parliament" then laughs hysterically after being several hours going in circles.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

Old 05-08-2024, 07:51 PM

2,169 posts, read 3,152,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That would be cool. Are there any other traffic circles in Sumter? Some communities that I have been to where they were introduced... some drivers ended up like Chevy Chase in National Lampoons European Vacation when they were in London...He ended up stuck on one as he couldnt get off ..

"Look Kids Big Ben Parliament" then laughs hysterically after being several hours going in circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc
There are 3 that come to mind. Wedgefield Rd @ Pitts Rd, Kingsbury @ Lewis and Pinewood Rd @ Kolb Rd.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:18 AM

224 posts, read 244,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
Construction vehicles at the lot between Tractor Supply and Clayton Homes on Broad Street... hmmm.

Edit: just looked it up on Google for 2715 Broad Street. 122 room Woodsprings Suites Hotel.
Live Smart studios next to Springhill Suites

Old 05-15-2024, 07:17 AM

63 posts, read 90,156 times
Just wondering, with all the new hotels and homes being built, Sumter is still not a viable market for a Publix or Target

Old 05-15-2024, 07:43 AM

252 posts, read 451,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post
Just wondering, with all the new hotels and homes being built, Sumter is still not a viable market for a Publix or Target
Same with Florence regarding a Publix.

According to Florence Center (Civic Center) - Florence has 5,000 rooms, but yet to receive a Publix, though highly rumored one is coming.

I do agree Sumter is due for at least a Target

Old 05-15-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Same with Florence regarding a Publix.

According to Florence Center (Civic Center) - Florence has 5,000 rooms, but yet to receive a Publix, though highly rumored one is coming.

I do agree Sumter is due for at least a Target
Same things happened in Sumter a few years ago right down to the location. The rumor was all over the place, and we talked about it on here back then. Then the pandemic hit and that was that. I believe Florence will definitely get one before Sumter. Publix and Target will both do well here in my opinion, especially along the Broad Street corridor.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:34 PM

I noticed Tropical Smoothie Cafe is now open, it was really busy there during the 10:00 hour today. And I could be late on this, it could have been open for days already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina