Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 03:04 PM

1,397 posts, read 675,530 times

Advertisements

I'll start:

Newell's Old Boys (Argentina) vs Young Boys (Switzerland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 01:58 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,560,434 times
MK dons v Wimbledon

Old 06-08-2023, 02:19 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
I wish some year Sheffield Utd & Sheffield Wednesday end up in the same English tier because that would be a battle. MK Dons vs. Wimbledon is always a good one.....for those of you unfamiliar with the Wimbledon/Dons rivalry, Wimbledon relocated sometime early this century I want to say mid to early 00's which took Wimbledon from where they originally played in Wimbledon to I think it was Buckinghamshire about 60 miles (90 kilometers) away. This was a controversial move, and some Wimbledon supporters started a new team named AFC Wimbledon. MK Dons (then known as Wimbledon football club or Wimbledon FC when they moved) played their first season in their new home under the same Wimbledon umbrella before changing their name after that season to the current MK Dons outfit

Old 06-08-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I wish some year Sheffield Utd & Sheffield Wednesday end up in the same English tier because that would be a battle. MK Dons vs. Wimbledon is always a good one.....for those of you unfamiliar with the Wimbledon/Dons rivalry, Wimbledon relocated sometime early this century I want to say mid to early 00's which took Wimbledon from where they originally played in Wimbledon to I think it was Buckinghamshire about 60 miles (90 kilometers) away. This was a controversial move, and some Wimbledon supporters started a new team named AFC Wimbledon. MK Dons (then known as Wimbledon football club or Wimbledon FC when they moved) played their first season in their new home under the same Wimbledon umbrella before changing their name after that season to the current MK Dons outfit
yup the first ever move of a pro football team in the history of the modern game, and hopefully the last. Must seem strange to US fans given the number of times pro sports franchises move cities but in England it is unheard of and was and will always be very unpopular.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
yup the first ever move of a pro football team in the history of the modern game, and hopefully the last. Must seem strange to US fans given the number of times pro sports franchises move cities but in England it is unheard of and was and will always be very unpopular.
Millwall moved from Isle of Dogs to South London.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Millwall moved from Isle of Dogs to South London.
that I did not know

Old 06-08-2023, 08:02 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Woolwich to North London anyone?

Old 06-08-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
that I did not know
It's not quite like leaving London, though. That makes Wimbledon exemplary.

The Millwall-West Ham rivalry grew out of supporters (and back then perhaps the players too) being composed of dockworkers on the north side of the Thames.

Millwall has moved more recently too, from Cold Blow Lane in New Cross to the New Den in South Bermondsey.

Not far, but the Millwall faithful followed.

Nobody likes them and they don't care.

Last edited by Winter Coven; 06-08-2023 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-08-2023, 10:24 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Must seem strange to US fans given the number of times pro sports franchises move cities

Err... Montreal Expos? Quebec Nordiques?

Old 06-08-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err... Montreal Expos? Quebec Nordiques?
exactly must seem strange to North Americans that English clubs hardly ever relocate and as such any suggestion of a move is resisted by the fans, i know Expos and Nordiques fans did not like it but its common
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer