Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 02:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,296,066 times

Advertisements

Just found out that our Long Valley Caldera is starting to wake up. I have been keeping track of Campi Flegrei and Yellowstone, but somehow missed another one of our native super volcanos. USGS has issued reassuring statements that they are on top of the situation and we have no volcanos in 'red' status. I am sure they have the situation under control (not).

After I read the USGS report, I started perusing predictions of what life will be like if a major volcano cuts loose. It isn't pretty. I did not realize how far ranging the effects of a major eruption would be. Volcanoes were something I just looked up, my concerns were with tornados and hurricanes.

Not much I can do if we do have a major eruption except keep my family safe and stock up enough supplies to take care of my not-so-wise son-in-law.

The thought of needing more than a year's supplies scares me.

I think I need to check the life span of my medications. I normally keep a 6 month supply.

One interesting thing that I read was that we would need to wear N95 masks while outdoors and seal the mask to the face. Evidently the ash does nasty things to our respiratory system.

I knew the ash is heavy and would disable mechanical equipment, but I didn't know it would also disable our lungs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 03:19 PM

461 posts, read 315,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Just found out that our Long Valley Caldera is starting to wake up. I have been keeping track of Campi Flegrei and Yellowstone, but somehow missed another one of our native super volcanos. USGS has issued reassuring statements that they are on top of the situation and we have no volcanos in 'red' status. I am sure they have the situation under control (not).

After I read the USGS report, I started perusing predictions of what life will be like if a major volcano cuts loose. It isn't pretty. I did not realize how far ranging the effects of a major eruption would be. Volcanoes were something I just looked up, my concerns were with tornados and hurricanes.

Not much I can do if we do have a major eruption except keep my family safe and stock up enough supplies to take care of my not-so-wise son-in-law.

I think I need to check the life span of my medications. I normally keep a 6 month supply.

One interesting thing that I read was that we would need to wear N95 masks while outdoors and seal the mask to the face. Evidently the ash does nasty things to our respiratory system.

I knew the ash is heavy and would disable mechanical equipment, but I didn't know it would also disable our lungs.
When St Helen's blew its top, the ash fell across my area. there's microscopic shards of volcanic glass in the ash that will slice and dice your lungs when inhaled.

Nasty stuff.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:26 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,959,293 times
I read this yesterday:

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/10/calif...uake-20623561/

"California on alert as San Andreas fault hints at a quake"

Old 04-13-2024, 04:14 PM

I always thought Yellowstone was our largest and most dangerous volcano. Turns out there was another super volcano, La Garita. It's dead now, but according to the geologists, this was the largest eruption we know of. It's near Creede, Colorado. It created a 20 x 50 mile crater.

From what I have read, we would be in deep trouble if there is another eruption. Our technology and transportation system would not be able to cope.

I went thru one disaster and I hope I die without seeing another one. But . . . I prep as tho SOMETHING just might happen. Sometimes it is difficult to correctly interpret what is reported on government websites. I trust the data, but not their conclusions.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:39 PM

Just read a series of books on this subject. The 'Yellowstone' series by Bobby Akart. Very detailed, very enjoyable. I am going to look for more of his books.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:47 PM

I love our governments. Campi Flegrei status is 'restless', condition yellow. Thanks, that really tells me a lot. It is being studied so that they can give people 72-hour warning. Yep, that helps. There are about 1.3 million people who would be in danger if it erupts. I certainly hope they are CLOSELY studying it.

USGS also said that the parts of the San Andreas fault seem to be stuck and overdue for an earthquake. Once again, we are told that it is being closely monitored.

I am profoundly glad I don't live near either. However, from what I have read, the effects would be widespread and destructive even to those who don't live close by.

Old 04-27-2024, 05:12 PM

And then came the tornadoes. I admit that I have essential supplies buried in the backyard, and I carry essential supplies in my car.

In Alabama, everyone remembers 2011 when 62 tornadoes danced across Alabama in 18 hours. It calms my paranoia to have what I need to get out of town if there is a repeat of 2011.

I pray that God will show mercy to those who were caught in the tornadoes.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:03 AM

9,078 posts, read 4,784,963 times
Quote:

Life span of meds:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...myth-than-fact
Quote:
The box of prescription drugs had been forgotten in a back closet of a retail pharmacy for so long that some of the pills predated the 1969 moon landing. Most were 30 to 40 years past their expiration dates — possibly toxic, probably worthless.

But to Lee Cantrell, who helps run the California Poison Control System, the cache was an opportunity to answer an enduring question about the actual shelf life of drugs: Could these drugs from the bell-bottom era still be potent?
The bad news is, yes, volcanic ash can mess up your lungs, big time.
The good news is, it won't last a year. The really dangerous time is until the first couple of rains.

You will need extra filters for everything ... and everybody.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:07 AM

9,078 posts, read 4,784,963 times
Quote:
And then came the tornadoes. I admit that I have essential supplies buried in the backyard, and I carry essential supplies in my car.
My previous jobs were working on electronic equipment in environmentally hostile areas.

Burying is good, as long as it is done right.
You need two waterproof (and crush proof) layers.
You should assume he first one will get breached.

(the old "place a plastic tote over the cache" doesn't work because the crushing weight of the ground will destroy it)

Old 04-28-2024, 07:28 PM

461 posts, read 315,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Life span of meds:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...myth-than-fact

The bad news is, yes, volcanic ash can mess up your lungs, big time.
The good news is, it won't last a year. The really dangerous time is until the first couple of rains.

You will need extra filters for everything ... and everybody.
https://new.nsf.gov/news/volcanic-co...asaltic%20rock.

Nothing is set in stone. The Siberian Traps erupted for 2 million years causing the Permian extinction.

No outlasting that.

Not being a smart alec, just saying that when it comes to volcanoes, you can't bet on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness