Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 08:31 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times

Advertisements

Nope and it’s none of my business. We hope they learn but it’s their journey not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 09:59 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
My late husband had been an Army Ranger, and then a Green Beret. If he wasn't over prepared for something, he knew how how to fix it. We were never going to be hungry, thirsty, or cold. I took care of the massive supply of paper products, pharmacy items, and whatever.

Different skills, but my son has stepped up to the plate. I haven't had to pay a plumber, electrician, or a mechanic for at least ten years. Also computer and internet stuff.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:12 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
I know those people, but they aren't my concern. I'll help those who do what they can to help themselves and still need a boost.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:34 PM

2,671 posts, read 1,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Another hurricane season that I am preparing for even tho I no longer live in hurricane territory. I asked my son-in-law if he is ready, got enough supplies to survive another Katrina. He said they are going to go to a hotel. He said they have the names of hotels that accept pets. I asked him how much they charged. He hadn't checked on that.

My daughter told me privately that she is buying long-life foods a few at a time to get ready.

I am preparing for them to come here.

I just can't get through to my son-in-law even tho he also went thru Katrina. He just assumes that they will make it thru.

SIGH

Anyone else have this problem?
Your SIL better check on getting hotels in another state just in case he is in another or similar Katrina. I don't know what state you live in but maybe if you live in a different state from your SIL and your daughter is smart to be at least a little ready. If it makes you feel better then prepare for them and yourself just in case a little at a time like your daughter is doing.

With Katria staying and being prepared for at home was a disaster even if they did prepare ahead of time. I would not go all out because a flood can easily destroy everything as well as certain other catastrophic weather, war fights like with Ukraine that no one saw coming. I guess you could say I'm speaking of bug outs. Keep cash handy because we never know when or if an attack on our banking system could happen. 9/11 people stayed home and watched on TV not me and a friend of mine she went and got cash just in case I first went to the supermarket and got cash then gas, etc etc. what I saw in the supermarket and gas station ticked me off but I refused to show fear. They were celebrating what they did.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
When I lived in hurricane country, my prepping included keeping cash on hand. After Hurricane Katrina, we went to the head of the line at the grocery stores because we could pay cash. We could give them exact change. People like us provided enough money that other people who did not have exact change could buy food.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:55 AM

5,409 posts, read 3,607,595 times
keeping cash is part of prepping, relying on credit and debit cards wont work once the power is off.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:47 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Another hurricane season that I am preparing for even tho I no longer live in hurricane territory. I asked my son-in-law if he is ready, got enough supplies to survive another Katrina. He said they are going to go to a hotel. He said they have the names of hotels that accept pets. I asked him how much they charged. He hadn't checked on that.

My daughter told me privately that she is buying long-life foods a few at a time to get ready.

I just can't get through to my son-in-law even tho he also went thru Katrina. He just assumes that they will make it thru.

SIGH

Maybe - it's not a problem. Your daughter is prepping with long-life foods and you're ready for them.

Your daughter is responsible. As long one person in a family is aware, they will be fine.

With so many adult children barely sober, functioning or even civilized, your family is doing quite well! Count your blessings!

Old 04-18-2024, 03:34 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,668,141 times
Quote:

SIGH

Although I've been in Alaska a long time, I wasn't here for the 1964 earthquake that devastated south central Alaska. A couple of my friends parents were. They had two totally different views on it afterwards.

One couple went into prep mode, stockpiling food and supplies in case it happened again.

The other couple did nothing additional to what they did before. Their mindset was, we weren't prepared for that one and made it through, if it happens again we will just figure it out again.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:53 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post

The other couple did nothing additional to what they did before. Their mindset was, we weren't prepared for that one and made it through, if it happens again we will just figure it out again.
Whenever I say that people learn exactly the wrong lesson from a disaster or pandemic, this is exactly what I am talking about.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:29 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
After Hurricane Katrina, there were people in my neighborhood who literally sat on their porch and waited for someone to help them. I do not understand the mindset, and I would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself. They seemed unable to comprehend the extent of the disaster and were mentally 'frozen'.

I have wondered if these people would become violent if no one helped them. Would they become irrationally angry? Their response bewildered me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness