Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 04:38 PM

3,350 posts, read 9,220,230 times

Advertisements

Ring alarm system
2 dogs, chihuahuas, death from the ankles down. And they hate strangers.
And my handy cast iron skillet that resides on the stove top, always within reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 06:28 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,151,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
2 dogs, chihuahuas, death from the ankles down. And they hate strangers.
You're not kidding! Chihuahuas have no idea they're the size of rats, and they are unrelenting once they get going. I've been chased by them on foot and on bicycle, they don't give up. However, a malicious intruder is just going to kick them out of his way, or stomp them. No bueno.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
You're not kidding! Chihuahuas have no idea they're the size of rats, and they are unrelenting once they get going. I've been chased by them on foot and on bicycle, they don't give up. However, a malicious intruder is just going to kick them out of his way, or stomp them. No bueno.
That’s why the Ring system is primary. It will call the police.

Old 05-18-2024, 06:27 PM

37 posts, read 11,369 times
Sword, axe, staff, anything that gives you a reach.

Tie a hammer or pad-lock to a rope & swing it.

Drinking glasses & glass ash trays make great throwing weapons...as do circular saw blades.

Fling a chair at the bastard or slide the dining table toward him & crush him between it & the wall.

Lighter fluid & a Bic...hell, let you imagination run wild

Just ask yourself...what would that kid on "Home Alone" do?

Old 05-20-2024, 07:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,965,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
After all the people saying wasp spray, had to Google it... and everyone says it's not effective:

Wasp sprays - "The active chemicals in wasp spray, pyrethrins and pyrethroids, work against insects and other invertebrates because they disrupt their nervous systems. Humans simply aren’t affected in the same way because of the perhaps obvious fact that we are vertebrate mammals "

Other sites state that there aren't truly enough irritants in wasp spray to be effective as a self defense spray.
As I understand it, the reason wasp spray is frequently referenced for self defense has nothing to do with the insecticides, it's the range and volume the cans put out. The ingredients that cause eye irritation are the solvents and propellents, not the poison. Bleach spray would be a lot more effective, and bleach blindness can be permanent, but bleach-based cleaners don't spray very far or in much quantity.

I read an article about a farmer who tried to kill himself by drinking a pesticide concentrate. Like the stuff that gets added to irrigation systems where it's super diluted before it hits the plants. He did eventually die from it, or some complication it caused, but it took days. Meanwhile this toxic crap was oozing out of his breath and pores and exposing everybody around him to dangerous levels of the chemicals like he was a walking EPA superfund cleanup site.

For pesticides to make it to market, the tough part is proving that they aren't dangerous to humans, pets, non-target species, etc. Proving that they kill bugs is the easy part.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:42 PM

37 posts, read 11,369 times
Check into a Byrna Launcher.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:56 PM

50,549 posts, read 47,374,783 times
No replacement for displacement.

Old 05-22-2024, 11:24 AM

6,423 posts, read 1,461,011 times
Default home defense

I suggest you improve your home to resist crime or illegal entry. You can know buy new structure to defend your doors from being kicked in. You can use a very long deadbolt , but this is even more than that, it is a structure that prevents the door being kicked in. It's valid, and works, I don't know how costly it is, you can search for door reinforcement.
You can also use crime prevention around your house. On the perimeter, set up a camera system with night vision (they all have this) , not ring , get cameras, like four around the perimeter of your house. Lightning is important too, criminals or home invasions hate light at night, so light it up with a high powered motion light that turns on when triggered (you can consult your neighbor, if you think it will be bothersome to them). Lastly do not have shrubs and plants all over covering your house up to aid the criminals or the home invasion.
As for another weapon, a aluminum bat is good, tire iron, crowbar, metal pipe, for defense. I don't advocate for owning a firearm, unless the person has a good amount of training with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best home defense weapon to have that is not a firearm.-flashlight.jpg  

Last edited by Serenity2019; 05-22-2024 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-22-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I suggest you improve your home to resist crime or illegal entry. You can know buy new structure to defend your doors from being kicked in. You can use a very long deadbolt , but this is even more than that, it is a structure that prevents the door being kicked in. It's valid, and works, I don't know how costly it is, you can search for door reinforcement.
You can also use crime prevention around your house. On the perimeter, set up a camera system with night vision (they all have this) , not ring , get cameras, like four around the perimeter of your house. Lightning is important too, criminals or home invasions hate light at night, so light it up with a high powered motion light that turns on when triggered (you can consult your neighbor, if you think it will be bothersome to them). Lastly do not have shrubs and plants all over covering your house up to aid the criminals or the home invasion.
As for another weapon, a aluminum bat is good, tire iron, crowbar, metal pipe, for defense. I don't advocate for owning a firearm, unless the person has a good amount of training with it.
Our ring system is a camera system.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:01 PM

2,162 posts, read 1,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
That’s why the Ring system is primary. It will call the police.

They will be there in minutes when seconds count. While it is good to have the police called, you really need some sort of defense that is more immediate until they show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness