Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 05:02 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
They wrapped my finger splint up in what looks like an ace bandage but it sticks to itself. I think my Vet uses similar for my cats when he has to knock them out.
Basically, it's called "self-adhesive" bandage. It sticks to itself well but not your skin or a wound. It's flexible and resists water. Any local drug store, possibly a supermarket should carry it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 05:18 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Basically, it's called "self-adhesive" bandage. It sticks to itself well but not your skin or a wound. It's flexible and resists water. Any local drug store, possibly a supermarket should carry it.
et al. Thank you.

Looked it up under that description, ordered a box, and we shall see.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:47 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
They wrapped my finger splint up in what looks like an ace bandage but it sticks to itself. I think my Vet uses similar for my cats when he has to knock them out.

Vet wrap. Search for it. Same stuff.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:51 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Band...f_=as_li_ss_tl

If you can't find it in the human section of the first aid aisle, Walmart sells the vet-wrap version in the livestock aisle.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Band...f_=as_li_ss_tl

If you can't find it in the human section of the first aid aisle, Walmart sells the vet-wrap version in the livestock aisle.
You can also find it in the outdoor/sporting goods sections of big box stores, often referred to as self-adhesive "sports wrap." Self-adhesive is the key word.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:02 PM

While I keep some first aid-related supplies in a bathroom cabinet (bulk disinfectant, antibiotic ointment, bandage materials (including something suitable to stop more serious bleeding), basic sterilizable instruments such as scissors, forceps, etc.), I always have a portable first aid kit. If I'm working out of my car, in the garage, or away from the house I want a kit that's easy to grab as I walk out the door. What good will my first aid supplies do me if they're in a kitchen drawer but I'm nowhere near the kitchen? If you're someone with a known severe allergy the kit might include an epi pen, nitroglycerine or some other fast acting rescue med too. Whenever I happen to use something from the portable kit I re-stock it from the bathroom supplies. A habit you need to establish. A first aid kit doesn't need to be elaborate. The intent of the kit is, after all, first aid to help stabilize until you can get yourself to help, not brain surgery!

Old 02-21-2024, 12:24 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
While I keep some first aid-related supplies in a bathroom cabinet (bulk disinfectant, antibiotic ointment, bandage materials (including something suitable to stop more serious bleeding), basic sterilizable instruments such as scissors, forceps, etc.), I always have a portable first aid kit. If I'm working out of my car, in the garage, or away from the house I want a kit that's easy to grab as I walk out the door. What good will my first aid supplies do me if they're in a kitchen drawer but I'm nowhere near the kitchen? If you're someone with a known severe allergy the kit might include an epi pen, nitroglycerine or some other fast acting rescue med too. Whenever I happen to use something from the portable kit I re-stock it from the bathroom supplies. A habit you need to establish. A first aid kit doesn't need to be elaborate. The intent of the kit is, after all, first aid to help stabilize until you can get yourself to help, not brain surgery!
I tend to have a lot of them. And, as said, I try to keep them up to date.

https://adventuremedicalkits.com/col...s-medical-kits
Further, when a kit is on sale but out of date, meds, I will buy it if I can just for the bandages.

Curiously enough. the above, what is said above about first aid kits is what I also say about tool kits in that what good is the tool kit when it is locked behind the door you need to go through?

The "Vet Wrap" arrived and it is neat stuff! A lot easier to wrap around my finger brace than surgical tape. Handy, especially when you are one handed.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:52 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Similar here - in the cars, bathrooms, garage and on the patio. If it is past my capability there is always 911.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:25 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Vet Wrap or Coband.

I have used my first aid kit on myself when I was visiting my parents. I wasn't in great peril but I was bleeding a LOT, to the point my mom put a towel down on her front seat. I hosed the wound with hydrogen peroxide and put gauze on and then wrapped tight in coband. It stopped the bleeding. Then off to the urgent care for a tetanus shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness