Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times

Advertisements

IslandCityGirl, you make me sick how optimistic you are. It must suck to have to walk through life that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
all the waterfalls!
Where are there waterfalls in Seattle?

I wouldn't go so far as to say the weather is great for biking year-round; I wouldn't want to do that in the freezing winter temps (those are what skiing is for), or the 90-degree summers that are becoming more common, or even the 80+ degree temps. But the West Coast in general has the most livable climate of the US, IMO.

I'll put in a plug for the UW's ethnomusicology department, which over the decades has given Seattle an international/global dimension to the music scene. People may not be aware of what a rare asset this is; ethnomusicology departments are few around the US. The UW top admin back in the 90's actually wanted to close the department permanently, as part of a broader cost-cutting effort! Kudos to the department for defending itself, and for continuing to contribute to musical diversity in the city.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:53 PM

Fake one, but here you go Ruth Waterfall Garden - 183 Photos - Parks - Pioneer Square - Seattle, WA - Reviews - Yelp

Seattle Japanese garden has some tiny ones: Seattle Japanese Garden | Home

Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Thanks. I was wondering if that poster might have been referring to a corner of the Arboretum I may have missed. Or maybe they were referring to the waterfalls outside the city, in the Olympics and the Cascades. Or yeah, the urban fountain-type ones.

Those photos of Pioneer Square look nice. I don't think those existed when I was in Seattle. And now I remember there's one in that garden that's kind of over the freeway downtown, as you go up the hill from 6th Avenue. I forget what that park area is called.

Thanks for posting.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:36 PM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle
I consider it promising that you liked 17 percent of my list, and you will have to take your shoes off when you come over to our place.
I am curious as to how this one made it to your list. Did people in some other place routinely say "F U I will wear my shoes all up in yo house!" or something?

Old 01-27-2016, 02:52 PM

Basilide, remember the title of this thread, be nice.....I've been to Asia a bunch, I think they have it right there, taking their shoes off before they come inside homes. They believe, "If you walk outside, you will step in some form of crap, walk inside, crap comes in. Keep the crap at the door, literally and figuratively. I agree, seems like a lot of people I know here in Seattle do too. If you don't, enjoy the crap

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-27-2016 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Basilide, remember the title of this thread, be nice.....I've been to Asia a bunch, I think they have it right there, taking their shoes off before they come inside homes. They believe, "If you walk outside, you will step in some form of crap, walk inside, crap comes in. Keep the crap at the door, literally and figuratively. I agree, seems like a lot of people I know here in Seattle do too. If you don't, enjoy the crap
You are going to have to ask Americans to take off their shoes most of the time; though sometimes they will ask you. The only impolite thing would be to refuse after you make your wishes known. I've not seen people in Seattle act any different than anyone else. As for me, I don't always trust the hygiene of the person's feet. Plus, if I am going to be indoors for 2 minutes I'm not taking off my shoes. If I am home for the evening I will. I like being adaptable instead of dogmatic.

The Japanese (if that is whom you are referring to) are much more keen to anticipate what others want/need. I was impressed when a Japanese exchange student saw I wanted to tie my shoe while holding two boxes. I was looking around to find where to set them but there wasn't any place but the ground (and you know how much crap is there ). He immediately took them from me to let me tie my shoe. There were three other people in the group who didn't even notice my dilemma (all people from Seattle, by the way). It is funny how small things like that matter.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
This is hard for me to do right now considering I'm looking to move from here... But

- I love the non-extreme weather. It's never too hot or too cold.
- I love access to mountains.
- I love that we have without a doubt the best hiking in this country :-).
- mount Rainier, enough said
- easy access to BC.
- Sounders.
- Summers (although not the last two years, a little too hot and humid)
- Asians. I love Asian food and Asian people are super nice.
- greenery
- high paying jobs. Endless job opportunities.
- cheap and short flights to Asia.
- sea Tac is a wonderful airport
- the ocean
- quick access to the beautiful coast of Oregon
- organic options for those who are interested
- music scene, amount of musicians in the area willing to jam
- how weird we are. How we wear flip flops and socks
- how we have more outdoor options than anywhere else in America

That's it for now .

Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
One of the best things about Seattle is that in a couple of hours you can be in eastern Washington. That is not so much fun, for those of us that live in eastern Washington, but it is a god send for those in Seattle.
Of particular interest is our access to Chelan. Such a special place.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 PM

450 posts, read 549,561 times
I like that it is much more casual/less superficial, which suits my personal preference. There is very little social pressure to be seen driving the latest trendy vehicle or be wearing the right designer brands. Or heaven forbid, have the "right sounding last name" just to get an entry level job as one of my college roommates told me was quite important back East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area