Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2023, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 6,746 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering when did the southern Santa Fe County area off of HWY 14 become ground zero for Solar Utilities Companies?

I believe there are four different large solar plants being installed in what I thought was a designated rural, residential area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 07:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Good question. I Googled around and found this:
https://www.aes.com/new-mexico/proje...ho-viejo-solar

I didn't find anything regarding your question about a change in status of the land.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:39 PM

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for the reply and information. Yes, that AES project is the largest one in the southern portion of the county.

The fear from that 1000 acre project is the large thermal runaway fire risk from the batteries...like the one that burned for over 14 days in Chandler Arizona sometime in 2022.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:39 PM

679 posts, read 1,460,716 times
Sorry I did not respond sooner, but I was not equating the Turquoise Trail with this. That is my gaffe.

This project started getting some attention, then AES filed a suit against the county claiming that their (required) public disclosures would result is the revealing of trade secrets. In other words, they did not want the county telling the public anything.

Recently, a District Court judge granted a citizens group, Clean Energy Coalition (CEC), standing to intervene and pursue litigation to force disclosure.

CEC can be found at https://cleanenergycoalitionsfc.org/.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:39 PM

Thank you for the additional information and the link to the CEC...I did read about the Judge reviewing the non-disclosure on AES part, but was not aware of the Courts ruling.

Thanks Again!

Old 02-03-2024, 12:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don VG View Post
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for the reply and information. Yes, that AES project is the largest one in the southern portion of the county.

The fear from that 1000 acre project is the large thermal runaway fire risk from the batteries...like the one that burned for over 14 days in Chandler Arizona sometime in 2022.
Wow. Is that a hazard with any large solar energy collection array?

Old 02-04-2024, 12:49 PM

Hi Ruth,

The typical consequence is cell rupture and the release of large amounts of flammable and potentially toxic gases, which can lead to fire and explosion. Internal failure in the battery cell initiated the thermal runaway. The clean agent fire suppression system at Chandler was incapable of stopping thermal runaway.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don VG View Post
Hi Ruth,

The typical consequence is cell rupture and the release of large amounts of flammable and potentially toxic gases, which can lead to fire and explosion. Internal failure in the battery cell initiated the thermal runaway. The clean agent fire suppression system at Chandler was incapable of stopping thermal runaway.

Note, the Chandler farm was also an AES Solar Facility.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:09 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Not to mention that lithium battery fires are extremely difficult to control. I'm a big fan of battery powered vehicles, but wonder how clean that whole system is considering the harm that is done to the earth from mining lithium and the need to use polluting power plants to charge them. A lithium battery fire on my eBike, phone and laptop is not a big concern to me, but a huge production facility........

Old 04-03-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Sorry I did not respond sooner, but I was not equating the Turquoise Trail with this. That is my gaffe.

This project started getting some attention, then AES filed a suit against the county claiming that their (required) public disclosures would result is the revealing of trade secrets. In other words, they did not want the county telling the public anything.

Recently, a District Court judge granted a citizens group, Clean Energy Coalition (CEC), standing to intervene and pursue litigation to force disclosure.

CEC can be found at https://cleanenergycoalitionsfc.org/.

Residents win access to details of proposed Rancho Viejo solar facility.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...fmYr2AD18VmkGy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe