Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 12:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnitjanet View Post
It's not paranoid, it's not petty, it's the truth. The homeless situation is a big problem downtown and it is hurting the restaurants and bars downtown. Who wants to do any type of outdoor eating when you're going to get spare changed or you might be smelling stale urine while you are trying to eat?

As you have fewer people outside, just walking alone downtown, especially as a woman after dark, the less safe you feel, so you avoid going downtown and try to leave downtown before dark because it doesn't feel safe.

Lastly being stuck on a light rail train or bus with some angry mentally ill homeless guy smelling of urine and possibly on meth means public transportation downtown doesn't feel safe and is really unpleasant. That creates the problem of taking a car downtown and will the homeless people try to break into the car to try to find drug money or steal the radio to try to sell for drug money, which creates another reason to not go downtown.

The inability to deal effectively with meth and fentanyl is one of the things driving the homeless situation downtown.
Numbering continued:

36. Midtown Market Deli & Grill, I've been once before the govt' shutdowns, and I thought it was great especially because prices were down-right cheap. I need to go again. I try to support Sacramento small business's as much as possible. (29th & Q Streets). This place is also very close to the 29th Street light rail station.

You speak the truth. Especially if one is disabled, older, of a certain gender etc, it can be "scary" for some of us. Power to Truth.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-16-2023 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 01:11 PM

Numbering con'd:

37. Koi, Japanese restaurant - 29th and S Streets, I love this new restaurant and they are very friendly. I knew the guy who ran the Pet-Fish Aquarium Shop, in which the restaurant is now located. One of the guys, of the couple, passed a few years ago. Also, near the 29th street light rail station.

Everyone loves the Koi Pond, so glad they kept it!

.... " My favorite item there is a Japanese variant on the traditional Scotch egg, a hard-boiled egg covered in ground pork, breaded and deep-fried, but the breading is panko and instead of a hard-boiled egg they use a Japanese style aji-tama egg, marinated with a soft yolk"......

Oh my, that description sounds like it came from a suburban bougey- bourgeoise foodie, can't have that.

I'll definitely try that dish!

Old 12-16-2023, 03:58 PM

32. Temple Coffee
The 29th and S Streets Temple has been there so long...it Feels like the original Temple...especially considering it's still open, and the original closed..."eons" ago. Outdoor seating!

but, yes, the original Temple Coffee was indeed located at the 10th street location (not S Street).

The 10th street location "failed" prematurely, and then another coffee place went in and left prematurely as well,

probably because the 10th street location is usually surrounded by homeless camps/tents and the occasional scary-janky character sometimes disturbing folks. After 2020 riots/gov't shutdowns it has never recovered, and because of WFH, too bad, because there were several interesting restaurants and some wonderful architecture like the interior of a historic Well Fargo Bank, shutdown permanently 15-25 years ago, a gem waiting to be rehabbed, and the A-Frame structure where Temple was located is a really cool building although currently very stinky with urine.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rj8lUA5xi4

Near the End of this video you can see the Light the Beam

I will be listing the many restaurants and bars just outside the Sacramento Kings Arena-Golden One Center, with comments to follow, all good places to view Light the Beam mania (the bar/reastaurants listed are NOT in the arena):

Also, all these places are walkable from the Amtrak Main Train Station and Light Rail Stations: 8th&K Streets; 7th&L Streets Light Rail Stations.

Here's just two of the many bars to be listed:

38. Vine+Grain, 5th and K Streets at DoCo, mostly a Wine Bar, but food and other libations served. Indoor & Outdoor seating Firepit to keep you warm.

39. Fizz Champagne & Bubbles Bar, I love this place! David J. Stern Walk, 6th and K Streets at DoCo, Great selection of Sparkling Wine. Up, close and personal type of bar.

If you can't make it down near the Arena, that Beam is visible in a 10-15 mile radius from Arena in the night sky.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-17-2023 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-18-2023, 02:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
For #40, I would recommend Bodega Kitchen & Cocktails in the Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood of Sacramento. It's located on the corner of Riverside Blvd and Florin Road in the shopping center shared with Grocery Outlet. Bodega is a Puerto Rican/Pan-Caribbean bar and bistro. The food menu is comprised mainly of small plates such as empanadas and jerk chicken wings. The entrees include Cubano sandwiches, Braised Oxtail and Fish Tacos.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
For #40, I would recommend Bodega Kitchen & Cocktails in the Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood of Sacramento. It's located on the corner of Riverside Blvd and Florin Road in the shopping center shared with Grocery Outlet. Bodega is a Puerto Rican/Pan-Caribbean bar and bistro. The food menu is comprised mainly of small plates such as empanadas and jerk chicken wings. The entrees include Cubano sandwiches, Braised Oxtail and Fish Tacos.
Awesome, I'm always looking for more options out in the Pocket, and I think Sacramento runs a little lean on Puerto Rican places.

Sacramento actually has a ton of ma & pa run "ethic" places heavy on Mexican and Southeast Asian places, and I love our healthy share of Eastern European establishments too. There are a ton out in suburban locales, both older suburbans and the new ones.....and "inner-city" southarea places. So many to list.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
For #41, also in the Pocket/Greenhaven area is Caffe Latte located on the corner of Greenhaven Drive and Pocket Road. Really good place for breakfast and brunch. They are known for their omelettes, crepes (savory and sweet), sandwiches and salads. The owners and staff are really nice and treat you like family.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
For #41, also in the Pocket/Greenhaven area is Caffe Latte located on the corner of Greenhaven Drive and Pocket Road. Really good place for breakfast and brunch. They are known for their omelettes, crepes (savory and sweet), sandwiches and salads. The owners and staff are really nice and treat you like family.
Hello! me love a family-loving omelette and crepe place, I must try this place.

Speaking of crepes and family run cafes:

42. Danielle's Creperie - Savory and Sweet Crepes, omelettes, sandwiches SOUPS, and salads. Their French Onion soup is rich with a ton of cheese - Beef stock. Perfect for rainy days! Hard-working, friendly, and service-oriented Staff.

Watt Ave & Fair Oaks Blvd in the Arden Towne Shopping area. This place is always busy with the Well-dressed Senior, rich old lady crowd, yapping away. Good Food. Older gay couples seem to like this place too.

So in the "other direction" of the Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood which is south of downtown off of I-5. Danielle's is East of downtown off of Freeway 50 in the Arden-Arcade part of Sacramento. Sort of equal distance from the downtown but in different directions. Both places 8 miles from the downtown in older Leafy Big yard big house suburban neighborhoods.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:49 PM

These were numbered but I did not comment:

Jim-Denny's, 12th & Terminal (between H and I Streets)--

"this venerable landmark was reopened by N'Gina Guyton, the creative force behind Southside Park restaurant South, serving diner fare, hamburgers, hot dogs & breakfasts, but with many creative twists".

I only tried the "famous" burgers once and was not wowed, but I'm happy this place has been revived since its historic closing.

I loved the Southside park restaurant South and was very very disappointed it was a casualty of the gov't shutdowns/WFH era and I believed they had a few break-ins, their big windows smashed a few times (I could be wrong about the break-ins). I think there other regulatory issues, perhaps.

There and Back Cafe, 11th & K Streets across from the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament,

"is a fandom/gaming themed cafe, decorated with a mixture of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars themes. There are gaming nights, table rentals to run games, and fandom themed special events throughout the week; a popular destination for those attending comic and anime cons at the convention center".

Fun place and when in the area I usually stop in for a coffee. If you are bothered by vagrants, and those waiting to be feed at the Church, open your heart, but there can be a bit too many mentally-compromised folks harassing and scaring people in front of the place.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:48 AM

Recap:

In the Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood:

40. Bodega Kitchen & Cocktails - Riverside Blvd & Florin Rd. in shopping center

41. Caffe Latte - Greenhaven Drive & Pocket Rd.

In the Arden-Arcade District:

42. Danielle's Creperie: Fair Oaks Blvd and San Lucas Way, near Watt Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento