Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 283 times

Advertisements

The one thing I can add to the great advice that’s already been provided is that I had a family member move into a 55+ community and it turned out the median age of the residents was around 71, so she had a social disconnect with much of the community. She had relocated to another state and did not have friends/family nearby and had been hoping to make new friends where she lived. Nice people, but wasn’t what she was hoping. Just putting this out there because she said that was something she had never considered. But that’s just one example. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 08:35 AM

198 posts, read 401,881 times
I have looked at a few 55+ communities (rentals) in the Richmond area online, and my annual income of $72,000 makes me too rich to live in any of them. I must be doing something wrong?

Old 05-14-2024, 12:55 PM

8,809 posts, read 5,113,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
I have looked at a few 55+ communities (rentals) in the Richmond area online, and my annual income of $72,000 makes me too rich to live in any of them. I must be doing something wrong?
Why would they care how much you make, as long as you are 55?

Old 05-14-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I have no idea. That’s what I want to know.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM

19,301 posts, read 17,179,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Some communities were expressly developed for those of a more modest income, think of it as subsidised housing for seniors. But there is plenty of 55+ communities where you only need to have an income above a certain threshold to be eligible to move there.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Some communities were expressly developed for those of a more modest income, think of it as subsidised housing for seniors. But there is plenty of 55+ communities where you only need to have an income above a certain threshold to be eligible to move there.

I've literally never seen that. I've only every seen the income restricted ones.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

8,809 posts, read 5,113,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
I have no idea. That’s what I want to know.
Check out 55places.com.

Old Today, 11:01 AM

7,435 posts, read 4,205,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Bloux View Post
I am debating whether or not to get a place in a 55+ community. The pluses are: I like the town (New Kent); it is convenient to both Williamsburg & Richmond; I can afford it; it is new.
The negatives are: it is 55+ only; if something should happen, none of my kids could stay with me (they are in their early to mid 20s); is there a good resale value to a 55+ community?

My other option I am looking at is a new community in the 23223 zip code. I have read that is not a good area; however, I did drive to where they are building the townhomes and that neighborhood is nice. I just did not like the drive into the neighborhood from Nine Mile Rd & Laburnum.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
I know a lot of people in Colonial Heritage, Williamsburg. It's 55+ community.

I don't know about Colonial Heritage but many 55+ communities allow older adult children to live with a parent.

Old Today, 01:06 PM

13,146 posts, read 21,095,923 times
If you're looking at sites like Apartments.com or similar, most just show the subsidized or subsidized development housing when you select 55+. Try a general internet search for "active adult communities" in the area you're interested. That should return most 55+ age restricted private communities. However, the ratio of rentals to ownership is small for rentals in these communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond